Creating Objets with Wings3D

The file naming limits (I think) were in a "read me" file that was part of the installation process. I'm looking for that file but haven't found it yet.

It is just one object and I don't have 3dsmax. I only used the file converter.

Regarding colors I'm wondering if I should add the ones I used to the targa file. I'll try that and see if it works.

Attached: screen shot of fbx converter

vertex colors I am pretty sure are ignored by rf if you are trying to get one solid color across an entire face. Try selecting faces in wings and right click on materials then define the material colors. some other thing that make it easier is to turn on Geometery Graph and outliner under windows grab their top bars and dock them so they are not floating over your work

vertex colors I am pretty sure are ignored by rf if you are trying to get one solid color across an entire face. Try selecting faces in wings and right click on materials then define the material colors. some other thing that make it easier is to turn on Geometery Graph and outliner under windows grab their top bars and dock them so they are not floating over your work

Yes I have the geometry and outliner windows docked on the right side of my screen.

Faces of the object using vertex colors also have material assigned to them. There's a place to select "Ignore" or "Set" vertex colors on the "Material" screen. I think I have them set to "set". I'll try just using the Material colors only.

It's weird because the faces of the 6 poles have the right colors when imported to RF but other faces don't. Plus the colors in the airport editor object palate will change after I drop the object into the airport.

On the bright side, I added a second texture map (both in one tga file) and they both imported just fine. I may just have to forget vertex colors and just map everything

Yes I have the geometry and outliner windows docked on the right side of my screen.

Faces of the object using vertex colors also have material assigned to them. There's a place to select "Ignore" or "Set" vertex colors on the "Material" screen. I think I have them set to "set". I'll try just using the Material colors only.

It's weird because the faces of the 6 poles have the right colors when imported to RF but other faces don't. Plus the colors in the airport editor object palate will change after I drop the object into the airport.

On the bright side, I added a second texture map (both in one tga file) and they both imported just fine. I may just have to forget vertex colors and just map everything

Mapping every thing would be the best way to do it. I never use vertex colors on anything. But i do use some solid colors so I don't have to map every thing

Mapping every thing would be the best way to do it. I never use vertex colors on anything. But i do use some solid colors so I don't have to map every thing

Are solid colors available in Wings? If so, I haven't found them yet.

I mapped the problem faces and that worked. I think I need to try and get the lighting calibrated somehow. All the colors and mapped surfaces are much lighter in RF.

I have a question for the Wings3d users on the forum.

Is it possible to create/export a truly two dimensional object in Wings3d? All of the "plane" choices seem to actually be 3d. I'm trying to make some Projected Image files for RF9 but I'm having zero luck trying to make a 2d image. Thanks!

I have a question for the Wings3d users on the forum.

Is it possible to create/export a truly two dimensional object in Wings3d? All of the "plane" choices seem to actually be 3d. I'm trying to make some Projected Image files for RF9 but I'm having zero luck trying to make a 2d image. Thanks!

yes you can make a 2d object. for something like a cube. What you do is move the top face(s) to the ground level. Then select the bottom face only and press "f" once to select the surrounding faces then press backspace to disolve the selected faces to one face. to confirm the the object is flat select the whole object, right click, select absolute commands, then select scale finaaly confirm that the Y dimention is 0.0. if it is not then undo the dissolve and confirm all the side faces around the bottom are selected.

yes you can make a 2d object. for something like a cube. What you do is move the top face(s) to the ground level. Then select the bottom face only and press "f" once to select the surrounding faces then press backspace to disolve the selected faces to one face. to confirm the the object is flat select the whole object, right click, select absolute commands, then select scale finaaly confirm that the Y dimention is 0.0. if it is not then undo the dissolve and confirm all the side faces around the bottom are selected.

So I followed your instructions which were great but RF still doesn't display the object correctly when imported as a projected object. You can see in the attached photo that the object looks fine in the Object Palette preview window but not when added to the scene.

I wonder if RF still sees it as a 3D object even though Y is zero? Or maybe it's the file conversions from Wings to 3ds to fbx. I'll just keep trying.

Attachments

• runway end.jpg
    runway end.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13
Back