custom drone importing problems realflight 9.5

zjl715

I have experience with making custom plane models in 3ds max and importing them into Realflight. Recently I have been working on custom drones, but they don't seem to work correctly. They will import just fine and will be visible in the aircraft selector, but once I select it Realflight will crash. has anyone else had this problem? I followed the naming instructions I found in the forums. I tested the model import and it would import and be selectable when I told the model it was a plane. It didn't crash when I did this, but I want to import it correctly as a drone. thanks for your help

Have you had any luck with solving your problem?
i'm also wondering if you can point me in the right direction for finding the naming convention for drones?

I have experience with making custom plane models in 3ds max and importing them into Realflight. Recently I have been working on custom drones, but they don't seem to work correctly. They will import just fine and will be visible in the aircraft selector, but once I select it Realflight will crash. has anyone else had this problem? I followed the naming instructions I found in the forums. I tested the model import and it would import and be selectable when I told the model it was a plane. It didn't crash when I did this, but I want to import it correctly as a drone. thanks for your help
Have you added a collision mesh to your model? I've had problems with an unexpected error when I selected the model and then pressed the OK button. When I added a collision mesh the error stopped. Not all the time but often. The model would show okay in the select model dialog box but I got an unexpected error when I pressed the OK button.

i'm also wondering if you can point me in the right direction for finding the naming convention for drones?
"Fuselage" It is the root frame therefore is automatically considered individual and it is the parent of all other parts.
Fuselage parent to the number of arms each of which will be named ~CS_Tailboom1 through the total number of arms present.
Those will be parent to their own corresponding ~CS_EnginePivot and finally as children of the EnginePivot you have ~CS_Spinner
and ~CS_Engine each of which will have the same number suffix as the tailboom they belong to.
the part of your model that will visually rotate will be your ~CS_Spinner objects.
~CS_Engine is a piece of geometry that will not render in the game and it's pivot serves as the position to show the prop.
The prop is a part added by the sim and not modeled within a new model.

"Fuselage" It is the root frame therefore is automatically considered individual and it is the parent of all other parts.
Fuselage parent to the number of arms each of which will be named ~CS_Tailboom1 through the total number of arms present.
Those will be parent to their own corresponding ~CS_EnginePivot and finally as children of the EnginePivot you have ~CS_Spinner
and ~CS_Engine each of which will have the same number suffix as the tailboom they belong to.
the part of your model that will visually rotate will be your ~CS_Spinner objects.
~CS_Engine is a piece of geometry that will not render in the game and it's pivot serves as the position to show the prop.
The prop is a part added by the sim and not modeled within a new model.
Ahh, thanks for the great explanation. (and sorry for the late return.. I wasn't notified of new messages from here)
I will try the naming protocol you mentioned. I am only slightly confused on the Engine names. You mention ~CS_EnginePivot as well as ~CS_Engine. Do I require both or just one of these names?

So this is the way I read what you said:
Fuselage
~CS_Tailboom1
~CS_EnginePivot1
~CS_Spinner1

What about under slung loads? And pivots for said loads? For example, if I want to hang a load under a ball joint socket located just underneath the fuselage?

Cheers, Phil

Back