D3ERR_INVALIDCALL 13 years after it was originally reported

SeltzerWadder

Introduction: I reached out to Real Flight support and haven't heard back so I'm looking for help here. I do not play games and only downloaded Steam for Real Flight Evo. Laptop is about a year old and I don't use it much. Got it to run Fueltech software which is a tuning product that controls a stand-alone ecu for drag race cars/motorcycles. The sim worked fine until I made changes to the settings.

Problem statement: Enabled full screen and increased the graphics quality to high because I was using my TV as a second monitor. Now the game will not load and only goes to a black screen and renders my laptop worthless.

Troubleshooting done: I uninstalled the game and Steam, rebooted/installed again. Disabled MS Defender and followed steps to Verify Integrity of game files. Then uninstalled RF/Steam, updated my os because I was behind one update. Graphics card drivers say they are up to date. Rebooted after os update and installed again.

My question: Why does the error reference a d:\ that doesn't exist on my machine? How can I fix this? Are the game settings cached somewhere that I can delete and install again so it pulls up in the factory settings? I only have a c:\ and just want to install this fresh with no settings.

Suggestion/Complaint: Can't you write a method that checks the users hardware and either set the quality that is supported by their hardware? Or you can just write a method to check the user hardware and make suggestions for max quality settings? It's pathetic this is coming up for new users when the I see others reporting the same thing in 2010. I can't recall an application I've used in the last 8 years that allowed me to just break the entire thing and not let me sort it out with a kb article and forces me to post on a forum to get help. Had I known that increasing the picture quality would break the game I wouldn't have touched it.

Thanks for your time- Tony.

My machine:
Asus TUF Dash F15
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

Also read here: https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/d3derr_invalidcall.26295/
DXDevice.cpp appears because the program ( Realflight ) was told that the video card has certain capabilities. Realflight tried to take advantage of these capabilities, but the device was unable to comply with the request.

Attachments

• IMG-8679.jpg
    IMG-8679.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG-8678.jpg
    IMG-8678.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
The issue is probably the change to fullscreen mode. On some people's systems it seems to have issues we do not experience.

I recommend changing back to windowed mode and seeing if that gets you going again. If you want to try keeping all your other settings, use this method:
  1. Locate the settings file on your disk in <Documents>\RealFlight Evolution\RealFlight64.ini.
  2. Open it in your favorite text editor (Notepad works great).
  3. Search for "WindowState".
  4. Change the value to "2". The complete line should look like this:
    WindowState=INT:2
  5. Save your changes.
  6. Run RealFlight.
If that doesn't work, you can rename or delete RealFlight64.ini to reset all settings back to default.

You can ignore the D:\... file path. It is not saying anything about your system.

A couple more things to note:

We have released a DirectX 11 public beta for RealFlight Evolution.

We are in the process of revamping how RealFlight's fullscreen mode works.

That fixed the issue of the game not loading!! Sweet and exactly what I was looking for. but now the plane has partial throttle and the left/throttle stick doesn't get recognized at all. :( I have an nx10 transmitter that I'm learning to use and is connected via USB.

On the transmitter I calibrated the sticks/sliders/knob. In the game when I try to re-calibrate the transmitter the throttle/left stick doesn't calibrate on the Y-axis but it does recognize left/right inputs. makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Might you have Throttle Cut configured on the model you're using on the NX? That could be causing trouble like that if it's turned on.

I've got a writeup here on how to use NX via USB, including how to configure the model on the NX side. An NX10 is going to work pretty well with 10 channels.

Back