Dewoitine HD-780

Don't have access to my files right now, but for a physics example look at one of my planes with linear missiles (TA-4 or F-4). In general, imagine a pair of scissors standing point down on a flat surface. Now open the scissors, keeping one point in a fixed location and sliding the other along the flat surface. That is what you want to replicate. One pivot at the origin (fixed blade) rotates a second pivot (scissor hinge) which moves out the other blade linearly which has a third pivot to maintain orientation of the sliding object. For a reference with shorter moment arms look at the tail on my Switchblade.

Do I just center the pivot to the canopy in Max, and the real work is all done by RF? Is the assigned pivot location really significant (the pivot I'd assign in Max)? I think you used a similar principle in the Grunau Baby for the air brakes, right?

jeffpn said:
I think I'll be taking a couple steps backward here. I was playing around, trying ways to cut the canopy off the plane. I figured out a great way, and the canopy looks great sliding straight back on the z-axis. So now, I need to remap some parts, and figure out how to animate it in RF. Boof, I know your last plane has a canopy that slides straight back. Where do I set the pivot?
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I set it 50 ft. below in max, then the rotation in RF was set to .4 your mileage may vary.

Doing all that for a simple canopy slide seems like a bit much. The maximum amount of distance a pod can be moved in RF is 49.6 ft. Since max measurements and RF's match the pod can be moved to 49.6 and what ever rotation value worked in max to open the canopy will also work in RF. It's just less to do for a single direction of travel.

Turns out sliding canopies aren't too bad, once you figure out the concept. It's in RF, and at the paintshop. Next!!!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 16
Norton said:
It's looking sweet Jeff. I feel for Maj, lots of rivets and panel lines. Ouch!

When Maj. is done doing the rivet work for this and the Skycrane (along with twoeleven) more than 5 million rivets will have been created on color schemes for the early part of this year. :D

For those of you in the modeler's club (a club so exclusive you don't even know how you joined): Here's an AV with a minor tweak or two, including wireframe float placement.

Attachments

• DeWoitine HD-780_AV.RFX
    23.2 KB · Views: 4
jeffpn said:
For those of you in the modeler's club (a club so exclusive you don't even know how you joined): Here's an AV with a minor tweak or two, including wireframe float placement.
or how I managed to not get an invite :( J/K you know I am not nearly as committed to this as I once was.

Norton's pic also looks like it's tail heavy resting on that rear rudder. ;)
I doubt that toy model was meant to accurately portray the correct CG for that plane.
Probably a better reference for the colorscheme artist than a guide for the flight model.

I guess your right. I thought that nortons pic was a model not a toy and the angle was just throwing me off sorry.

Attachments

• dewoitine780_3v.jpg
    dewoitine780_3v.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 10
Back