Difficulty adding SAFE to an existing vehicle in RF 9.5

abwalsh99

I am trying to add the Spektrum SAFE controller to a modified Electristar. I modified the vehicle physics in RF as best I could to simulate an electric powered Sig LT-40. I've looked at a few existing SAFE enabled models that came with RF and also downloaded a couple from the swap pages to see how others have done it. I've added the controller, made the connections between the simulator controller, the Spektrum SAFE controller and the servos. In flight, the controller seems to be active regardless of channel 8 (switch B in my case) position. The controller however seems to only limit roll and pitch to about 90 degrees and does not return to level flight. In other words, I can't loop or barrel roll, but if I go hands-off, the plane just very slowly returns to level flight assuming sufficient altitude, just like any good trainer aircraft should. I also added the SAFE controller to the stock Electricstar with the same results. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks, legoman for the confirmation. I can get the Spektrum controller to have an effect, now. I can see the controller fighting my roll and pitch inputs. It allows some amount of overshoot and then pulls back towards level although it never quite gets there -- it seems to be trying to limit bank angle, which I guess it is supposed to be doing. I think I'll have to play around with gains in the controller to get good performance. I haven't gotten it yet to go straight and level when in SAFE beginner mode when I leave go of the sticks. Not sure if it is supposed to or if I need to set up the panic mode for that.

Back