Does RF support tilt wings for VTOL aircraft?

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a tilting wing in RF?

Yes, of course it is.

In the Max3d modeling app one of the things you must do is to define your pivot points. Anything about the model can be made to pivot; an aileron, a flap, or an entire wing. You should take a look at the F111 and all the ways Legoman set the pivot points on that aircraft; its amazing.

marcus

Thanks Marcus,
When you say Max3d modeling app do you mean the Autodesk 3ds Max application? I am new to this .

I use 3DSMax for modelling and yes you set all pivots in 3DSMax, but I have not tried Tilt Wing. What program are you using for model making ?

I am currently useing Creo for the 3D model. Mabey I dont need 3ds MAX then? It is unclear to me what file I need to provide to RF.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks Marcus,
When you say Max3d modeling app do you mean the Autodesk 3ds Max application? I am new to this .
I was referring to 3DsMax. There are several ways to make models for Rf9.x, but even some of those require 3DsMax for the final stage anyway. I would say, based on my observations here, that most modelers are using 3DsMax. In the developer corner there is a tutorial tour that will get you interested in the nuances of 3D modeling for RealFlight; its a power learning curve, but worth it...

marcus

Last edited:
I started modelling using Wing3D (a free program and very good) but I had to import the wings file into 3DSMax to apply texture and smoothing groups, set Hierarchy and pivot points, then export from 3DSMax to Realflight as a FBX file.
After making a few models in Wings3D I decided to do the whole model making process in 3DSMax (big learning curve) and save all the import/export switching.

Thanks every one for the help. I will look and see if I can export my creo model to FBX. I guess I would have to do all the labeling as shown in the link Marcus provided. I will give 3ds Max a try I am a student so that should not be problem to get.

Also I forgot to mention my reason for this topic is I am working on a collective pitch VTOL tilt wing aircraft. My idea is to get it into Realflight then control it with the arduplane quadplane firmware. I got my work cut out for me.

Thanks every one for the help. I will look and see if I can export my creo model to FBX. I guess I would have to do all the labeling as shown in the link Marcus provided. I will give 3ds Max a try I am a student so that should not be problem to get.

Also I forgot to mention my reason for this topic is I am working on a collective pitch VTOL tilt wing aircraft. My idea is to get it into Realflight then control it with the arduplane quadplane firmware. I got my work cut out for me.
please keep update.I will be watching with intense interest too. I am working on a collective pitch compound helicopter of twin rotor,which has fixed wing model with autogyro. it will be controlled by ardupilot,the aim is auto taking off and landing.

Back