Download link in HH purchase email doesn't offer a download

aJohnM1948

Download link in HH purchase email doesn't offer a download, only an option to install the Steam app which I already have installed, also the Steam app Library doesn't show the Realflight Evolution product, only my Realflight 9.5, furthermore when I select the option up upgrade Realflight 9.5 to Realflight 9.5S it says it can't find the software on my C drive, yet I ALWAYS install any software in the default location, I need LOTS of help please, will be eternally grateful for any assistance. BTW I am an IT professional and this experience is possibly the worst software install experience I have ever seen, go figure.

If you purchased the digital download of RealFlight Evolution at full price through horizonhobby.com, you should have received a Steam key (looks like "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX") in your email. Redeem that through Steam to get Evolution. I expect there to be instructions for that process in the email as well.

However, if you already own a version of RealFlight 9.5, you are entitled to a discount on Evolution. See this post for more info.

Unless you're talking about the RealFlight 9 DVD edition serial number to Steam key exchange process, there is no option anywhere to upgrade 9.5 to 9.5S; it happens automatically through Steam. I'm not sure what you're doing there.

No part of any of the above should be checking for software on your C: drive or elsewhere. If you continue to receive that message, please post a screenshot (minus any private info such as a Steam key or RealFlight serial number that might be visible at that time).

OK, so I have purchased RF Evolution at full price and received the email with the "Steam Key", now what? There is an "Install Guide" link, but it leads to a bad URL...

Bad Request - Invalid URL​

HTTP Error 400. The request URL is invalid.

Not sure what's going on here but this ought to work and be a bit more simple before taking someone's money..

LM

Can you post the bad link instead of just the error message?
It could be something as simple as a typo with HTTP instead of HTTPS or some such. If we can see the link, we might be able to figure out what's wrong with it.

People have mentioned something about a bad link on the Tower Hobbies Web site.

You don't need a Web site for either 9.5S or Evolution. You can't download any installers; the product is delivered through an online PC gaming store/delivery system called Steam.
If you have never used Steam, you'll have to sign up for an account there, then install the Steam software on your computer. Once the Steam software is on your computer and you sign into that software with your Steam account, you can go to a spot in that software where you can redeem the Steam Key. Then it will be happy to install RealFlight for you.

There is an "Install Guide" link, but it leads to a bad URL...
He didn't say anything about the installer. He said that the link to the install guide is bad. Without the install guide, how is a new user supposed to know that... unless he's installed Steam games before?

That's why I want to see the link from his email. It's evidently a different link. Maybe HH moved the install guide & forgot to update the boilerplate text automated email.

Last edited:
That's why I want to see the link from his email. It's evidently a different link. Maybe HH moved the install guide & forgot to update the boilerplate text automated email.

Link is now posted...

LM

It must be an error in the automated e-mail template.
....://click.email.realflight.com/%%=v(@productInstructions)=%%
Anyway, see the link I posted above. That's a PDF that talks about signing up for Steam.

If you have never used Steam, you'll have to sign up for an account there, then install the Steam software on your computer. Once the Steam software is on your computer and you sign into that software with your Steam account, you can go to a spot in that software where you can redeem the Steam Key. Then it will be happy to install RealFlight for you.

Thanks for this info, I think I fumbled through it and figured it out. Seems a bit unnecessary, but what do I know...maybe this Steam thing is all the rage? It's currently downloading...

LM

Right. That's what I was trying to point out. Your link is correct, and I didn't bother looking for it. Apparently the link in the email isn't. We'll be trying until doomsday to fix it here unless HH fixes their problem.

P.S. IMHO, Steam is a pretty good option since very few new PC's have DVD drives anymore, and many (most?) people have broadband. But it's not obvious if you've never used Steam before.

Last edited:
Thanks for this info, I think I fumbled through it and figured it out. Seems a bit unnecessary, but what do I know...maybe this Steam thing is all the rage? It's currently downloading...

LM
Steam has been around for a long time (years). They got started when the PC game manufacturers were getting tired of fighting piracy of CD/DVD copies of games. Steam became the way to enforce licensing via the Internet. Since then it has evolved into a full gaming store and distribution system.

Steam makes life a lot easier for game developers, as they handle license key management and getting the software installed on people's computers. Customers no longer need to fight with discs or downloading gigantic install programs. Steam also has a system in place for downloadable content, or "DLC" as it's called in the gaming world. DLC is the way you can purchase add-ons. The only downside for developers is that Steam gets a pretty hefty cut of the price of the game for their services.

On the customer side, a benefit is that the license for the game is now assigned to you and not a specific PC. Steam allows you to install the game on multiple computers as long as you're only playing it on one computer at a time. Steam works best with a live connection to the Internet, but you can put it in an offline mode where you can still use RealFlight without the Internet.

Customers no longer need to fight with discs or downloading gigantic install programs.
Good point. Downloading the program directly probably uses more bandwidth than downloading a compressed installer. But with the installer, you're probably using nearly double the storage space after you've run it because you don't NEED the installer anymore. Do you know whether the Steam server compresses the program for transmission & the Steam client decompresses it for storage once it gets to the PC?

I am going through this nightmare myself right now. I signed up for HH Elite club. They gave me Evolution as a free bonus. I have the same problem as above, click the link in the email and get the BAD URL page. After all these months, still not fixed? I already have a Steam account. I got it when 9.5 moved to steam, however I have never bought anything on Steam. I contacted HH support. They told me basically the same stuff in this thread. However, when I log into my account at Steam, there is no topic bar across the top that lists "Games" and so there is nothing for me to click on that says "Activate a product". This is so dang frustrating. Just give me a simple DVD like before!

So, what do I do know? Link in email does not work. Instructions from HH support do not work, as I do not seem to be able to get the page with "Games" on it when I am logged into Steam.

A lot of URL's do not work correctly, I find if I right click on the URL and select "copy link as" then paste that into a new page they work!!!

Back