DR and Expo Switch on DX8 or NX10

Hi

Which channel / rotation would I assign the dual rates and expos too and how does it pick the different DR/ expo setting up as I have been changing the model settings but would prefer it on a switch. I also have a NX10, is it better to setup Real flight on this one.

I connect via Spektrum dongle

Thanks

Many aircraft are set up to have low rate and expo for all of aileron, elevator, and rudder controlled by one switch on one channel. That's RealFlight Channel 5 in the Controller Profile. Some are set up to have separate switches for each of those controls, in which case elevator is RealFlight Channel 5, aileron is on RF Channel 10, and rudder is on RF Channel 11.

It sounds like you've found where those setting for the rate and expo values are stored within the Aircraft Editor.

You could also choose to set up rate and expo on your radio. At the bottom of the Controller Profile screen, there's a check box for "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo". If you turn that off, RF will always apply 100% rates and 0%, and then you'd set up rate and expo on your radio instead.

Using the USB receiver dongle, there's really no difference between the DX8 and the NX10, as the receiver is limited to 8 channels. If you were to hook up your NX10 via USB, you'd get 10 channels that way.

Many aircraft are set up to have low rate and expo for all of aileron, elevator, and rudder controlled by one switch on one channel. That's RealFlight Channel 5 in the Controller Profile. Some are set up to have separate switches for each of those controls, in which case elevator is RealFlight Channel 5, aileron is on RF Channel 10, and rudder is on RF Channel 11.

It sounds like you've found where those setting for the rate and expo values are stored within the Aircraft Editor.

You could also choose to set up rate and expo on your radio. At the bottom of the Controller Profile screen, there's a check box for "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates and Expo". If you turn that off, RF will always apply 100% rates and 0%, and then you'd set up rate and expo on your radio instead.

Using the USB receiver dongle, there's really no difference between the DX8 and the NX10, as the receiver is limited to 8 channels. If you were to hook up your NX10 via USB, you'd get 10 channels that way.

Thanks, so Chanel 5 is also the gear I believe. So where would you assign DR and Expo's if flying a aircraft with retractable gear, sorry if this is a stupid question

Thanks

It's confusing, but RealFlight uses different channel numbers than your radio. On Spektrum radios, channel 5 is called the Gear channel. In the RealFlight Controller Profile, channel 5 is that rate control switch. You've likely noticed that even the first four channels (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder) are in a different order in RealFlight than they are on your radio.

You don't want to think about channel numbers on the RealFlight side. Set up your radio the way it's supposed to be set up, and then you use the Controller Profile to associate the switches (channels) on your radio to the various functions in RealFlight.

To answer the question about retractable gear, that's on RealFlight Channel 7 ("Smoke"). To make the Gear switch on your radio do what you'd expect it to do, you assign the switch to channel 5 on your radio ("Gear"), and then in the Controller Profile, you'd select the blue button for the input for RealFlight Channel 7 and then wiggle your Gear switch so that RealFlight connects the two.

So I have an associated question so I am using NX10 and its set to an aircraft EVolution in the initial setup to connect to the sim. So my question I want to fly 2 different aircraft in the sim. Both aircraft will have different dual rates and expo so how do I do this without changing the DR/Expo everytime I switch aircarft...can I set up 2 aircraft as I'm connected to the Sim with one aircraft connection in the initial setup. I hope this makes sense..Thanks
Sterk03

If you allow RealFlight to apply Rate/Expo, then RealFlight will apply the settings that are saved within the Aircraft Editor settings for each of those models.

If you have Rate/Expo turned off in RealFlight and are applying that through your NX10, then you'll have to use different models on your NX10 in order to have different settings for each model.

Ok Thanks and that is where I'm confused. I thought you have one model or named evolution as an aircraft to connect the nx10 to the sim. This is making one connection and through the aircraft model so how do I enter additional ones if your to only have one connection to the evolution sim? I am probably wrong but I thought on the install using the nx10 you made an aircraft and named it evolution and this was your connection to the sim like a usb with the other controllers. I will have to review the connection then, so your saying I can name an aircraft with the sim name and then put in the expo I want to mimic the real rc plane and I can make as many of these for each aircraft. That seems to differe from the install instructions. let me check this out. Tome it is hooked up that you elect an aircraft from the sim and then you can set dual and expo but it will be used on all airplanes in the sim unless you change it every time you select another aircraft. Thanks

The name of the model on the NX10 doesn't matter. It can be any name that's meaningful to you. The name doesn't do anything to make a connection between your NX10 and RF.

You can have multiple models on your NX10 that correspond to models in RealFlight. For example, you could have "RF Plane 1" and "RF Plane 2" (whichever planes those are), and then you could set up settings on the NX10 that will be specific to each of those models in RF. Then you'd switch between the models on the NX when you switch models in RF.

That said, keep in mind that RF is designed to work with the Interlink controllers, which are not programmable at all and therefore are functionally equivalent to having just one model on your NX10 for RF. RF is designed to let you customize everything about the virtual models in the Aircraft Editor. It's really up to you if you want to make changes for DR/Expo in your NX10 or if you want to handle that in RF.

Sounds like you're using USB to connect your NX10 to the computer, so you can change models seamlessly as long as they'll each set up for USB Game Controller functionality within the model. If you were using a wireless USB receiver, you'd have to keep binding between the receiver and the NX10 every time you wanted to switch models on the NX10. (There is an advanced workaround for this problem, though.)

It's that USB setting in your model on the NX10 that controls whether it's a normal radio model or if it's going to expect to connect to the computer via USB. That's at System Setup menu > USB Settings. You change the Mode from "Inhibit" to "Game Controller" to use it with the computer instead of a model aircraft.

Ok Thanks I will try it. Somehow I got in my head from the original setup I hadt to use the made up model name which would be the only connection to the evolution and then I select the models from within the sim and use the models dual rates/expo or use the nx10 dualrates and expo. But that I could only connect to the simulator with this one connection. I use the usb connected cord from nx10 so yes I select in the model whether I use the built in DR/Expo or use what is set on the NX10. So then I make a model on the nx10 for each model i want to fly in the sim and set up what DR/Expo I want to practice in with the NX10 as long as I change use nx10 Rates in the initial controller set up.

I will try that and if it works then I guess I am fully understanding what your saying. Thanks for your patience and response.

Sterk03

Back