F

E-Flite Ultimate 3D_AV

Thanks so much for making this! I'm curious why you went with a 4400 mAh 6C battery? This plane can only take 3S or 4S 1800–2700mAh. Was it a weight/CG thing?

Thanks so much for making this! I'm curious why you went with a 4400 mAh 6C battery? This plane can only take 3S or 4S 1800–2700mAh. Was it a weight/CG thing?
Thanks Did not even realize the 6 cell was put in. Will play around with the 4 cell.

Weight and CG is affected by the battery choice for sure, but that's not the main issue.

mAh is a capacity thing... 3S, 4S, 6S, is a voltage thing. The limiting factor in the plane (or whatever) is the ESC (electronic speed controller) and the motor. Some ESC and motor pairs will not support 4S because the voltage is too high (also current) and things burn up... usually the ESC, but the motor can be damaged also.

Some planes can support 3S and 4S ( but not 6S ) because their ESC and motor pair cannot handle the extra voltage and current without damage. The 6S batts in my Cub are 1kg bricks! They are 7000 mAh and about 22.4 volts! 6S is the number of cells in series; the higher the number, the higher the voltage. mAh is a current capacity thing... a larger number of cells in parallel has a high mAh ( and a heavier weight ) for the same voltage.

If your motor and ESC pair are only rated for 4S batts, don't put a 6S batt in the plane; stuff will burn up.

If your motor | ESC pair are rated for 3S ( three cells, @3.7 volts, ~11.1 volts ) don't put 4S batts in the plane... its not about CG, its about burning up the ESC.

PS edit: this is a simplified version of a complicated engineered power system discussion; but, close enough for general understanding.

marcus

Last edited:
Hey marcushh,...2nd paragraph, first line,...did you mean to say "can" OR "can`t"
hi @uncle twist , I meant to say 'can', on the 'first' and cannot on the 'second'. Thanks!

For instance; my Apprentice STS may only use 3S batts... if I put 4S bats in there (even though they fit, and even though the CG is cool) eventually the ESC will go "poof".

On the other hand, my Turbo Timber (w slats, blue trim) may take 'either' 3S or 4S batts without issue, because the ESC | motor combo can support the extra voltage|current of the 4S system; but, it will not support a 6S system. In my opinion the Turbo Timber is under powered with 3S batts installed, but it will do scale flight just fine.

I was thinking of my Turbo when I said 'can' ( 2nd paragraph first line, first can ). Now that I think about it, the Timber (green trim) also supports both 3S and 4S system. The ESC is a little beefier... the Timber has a 50 Amp ESC 'stock'. I put a 60 Amp in mine. I'm paranoid about the ESC... overkill is better than too weak, because the BEC (battery elimination circuit, receiver power) is also in the ESC... usually when the ESC burns up the BEC goes too, and that means you can't even dead stick land the thing.

marcus

Last edited:
Back