E-Flite UMX ASK-21 Build Thread

mwilson914

So, it has been way too long since created a new build thread for this sim. It's tme to change that. Yes, I know I still have to complete at least one version of the Skycrane...I'm working on that.

In the meantime, here is a new build thread. I still have to start working on the model as I thought I should just go ahead and build this plane on my drive home. I've owned it for over four months now and still haven't had a chance to flight test it yet. The weather sucks most of the time where I live and with a co-worker out for half a year on Maternity leave, my work load is......enough of depressing myself.

Here is a starter picture of what I will build. I will actually flight test this real world model before I release the model into the sim.

Attachments

• 20130916_163943.jpg
    20130916_163943.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Chris. I'm a little behind the times. I've been playing with my gun and new night vision scope, so nothing else has mattered lately. Skin is getting so incredibly pale.

Thanks Chris. I'm a little behind the times. I've been playing with my gun and new night vision scope, so nothing else has mattered lately. Skin is getting so incredibly pale.
Sweet..... Good excuse ! ......
Do they allow night hunting in Washington ?
Here is a starter picture of what I will build. I will actually flight test this real world model before I release the model into the sim.

Even Sweeter !..:D

Last edited:
Sweet..... Good excuse ! ......
Do they allow night hunting in Washington ?

Even Sweeter !..:D

Nope on the night hunting in WA state, but I don't hunt anyways. I'm a inanimate target shooter. I like to shoot old propane tanks, hard drives, old lipo batteries (fully charged), tannerite, old bottles full of water, etc. It's nothing more than stress relief for me and it's just a hobby through and through.

As for the ASK-21:
I'm planning on making the bounding box tonight if I can get out and take some pictures without parallax. Depends what the weather is like. Yesterday was nasty and today looks like it might be again as well.

I actually have an awesome story about thunderstorms now. About two weeks ago I took a lightning strike through our water faucet while washing my hands. I had severe muscle spasms through my arms, back and into my legs down to my ankles. The funny thing is it didn't seem incredibly painful when I got hit, but my body hurt pretty bad for an entire day afterwards.

Nope on the night hunting in WA state, but I don't hunt anyways. I'm a inanimate target shooter. I like to shoot old propane tanks, hard drives, old lipo batteries (fully charged), tannerite, old bottles full of water, etc. It's nothing more than stress relief for me and it's just a hobby through and through.

Have any LiPo's exploded when hit?

Have any LiPo's exploded when hit?

Close to explosion level, but not an official explosion. One burnt so quickly it sent a small mushroom cloud rising up, but I didn't catch this one on video. I have a video on my youtube channel shooting an old lipo battery and shooting other various things. I'm mwilson_14 on youtube if you care to watch. I post RF videos from time to time--things I'm working on to models I just like flying.

I have about 7 old lipos to shoot and when I get the chance to take them out I'll record each one. :)

Excited for this model. Gunna pick up one of these guys now that they are $50.

Seriously!? I paid around $109 or $119 for mine. I can't wait to fly it which is why I am wanting to get it into the sim. If I can get the bounding box created this week I expect it to take 10 hours of work for the 3D model and 2D graphics. Another few days for the physics and that is all there is. Time is never on my side. LOL.

Looking forward to flying this one, plus I've already made the E-Flite Carbon Cub colorscheme for the Cub that will look great while aerotowing the ASK-21!

Seriously!? I paid around $109 or $119 for mine. I can't wait to fly it which is why I am wanting to get it into the sim. If I can get the bounding box created this week I expect it to take 10 hours of work for the 3D model and 2D graphics. Another few days for the physics and that is all there is. Time is never on my side. LOL.

Yep they dropped the price! Which means it's going to be discontinued unfortunately I think.

I just got started on the model about 20 minutes ago. Built the bounding box and so far the very tip of the nose on the model. Let's see how far along I can get on this thing today. I'll update the other site later on when I figure things out. For now, my build thread here will be updated.

Yes I'm using a drawing I found on the web of an ASK-21 glider. It is the same proportionately, so this allows me to be lazy on the bounding box.

Attachments

• Progress-9-21-2013_01.jpg
    Progress-9-21-2013_01.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 8
A little more progress with detachable canopy and wing in formation.

Attachments

• Progress-9-21-2013_03.jpg
    Progress-9-21-2013_03.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 9
I just need to finalize the shape of the vertical and horizontal on the tail, cut out the control surfaces, create the wheel and housing, add battery, control rods and any visible servo/RX/electronics, then this will be ready to map, color and spit out onto the swaps.

As it currently stands at the moment, the polygon/triangle count is 1,639. I guess I have a LOT of room to play with the model before it is done. :D

Attachments

• Progress-9-21-2013_04.jpg
    Progress-9-21-2013_04.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Between 6 to 7 hours of modeling this weekend this is where I'm at. I need to add another control rod, the visible electronics, cutout the ailerons, map, color, create the physics then release to the public to play with. If I can get the dedicated time today/tonight, I should be able to complete this model by tomorrow with physics.

Attachments

• Progress-9-22-2013_01.jpg
    Progress-9-22-2013_01.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 18
I got the EA into the sim, but everytime I have tried to work on the physics the family has talked my ear off and I can't even glance at the monitor. I will work on the physics tonight probably sometime between 3 and 6AM when I can get some alone time.

I haven't been able to work on this all week due to my on-call shift with my regular job. It's been a busy night week. I'll get back to the grind tomorrow and hopefully finish it by the end of the weekend. Everything is mostly mapped and I'm working on the color scheme for the most part. I just have a couple minor things to add to the 3D model, but they are things I know will take about 20 minutes of my time.

A couple of shots of the work I did today, minus the physics since I can take a screenshot of that.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1380512625.jpg
    ScreenShot1380512625.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ScreenShot1380512592.jpg
    ScreenShot1380512592.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 12
Back