E-GeForce 7200 ??

EGropp

Can anyone tell me if this card will work with G4?

I see no reference to it anywhere in any docs. The only compatibility list I see is for G3..

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer...

Download the demo from the RealFlight website. If the demo works, so will the program. That card will be lacking in performance, though.

Sorry.. I should have been more specific.
This is a new purchase, and I need to upgrade my video board.
Just dropped $200 on the Sim, now i need to get a video board that won't break the bank just to fly.

EGropp said:
Sorry.. I should have been more specific.
This is a new purchase, and I need to upgrade my video board.
Just dropped $200 on the Sim, now i need to get a video board that won't break the bank just to fly.
Should of thought of that before you invested in G4.

A 8800GT goes for around $160.

Unfortunately the 7200 series is a repackaged "older technology" chipset.

The second number in the series, ( e.g. the "2" ) in this case indicates that this is a much older DX7/DX8 part, that Nvidia slightly modified and recycled to sell as an "entry level" 3D card.

The good news is that you can nowadays purchase an awesome 3D card for approximately $130.00 or so ( though you'll have to hunt a bit for prices THIS low... ).

#150.00+ buys you an excellent 8800 GTS, etc.

I currently have a 7200LE video card, and it runs G4 ok. Looks good, but not great, as you should expect from a low end card. Very choppy with all the G4 eye candy turned on, but that's no surprise. With more basic graphics settings, its smooth enough, but still not fabulous. So, it's definitely usable with G4, as long as you don't expect it to look its best.

For what it's worth, I'll be throwing in an 8800GT in the next day or two, which I expect to be a vast improvement. But if money were tighter and I had to stick with the 7200, I could certainly manage.

Remember you need a machine that is also capable of keeping the 8800 "fed" with data too...

If you have something over 2.6gHz unicore or 2.4 dual/quad core, you should be fine.

Go to EVGA's website and look at the new 9 series vid cards. They have some really reasonably priced cards right now. I'm a Nvidia fan, but AMD has some really great GPU cards out for a low price too.

Here is a link with a list of 9 series vid cards: http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForce+9+Series+Family

Here is a link with a list of the 8 series vid cards:
http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=GeForce+8+Series+Family

Any of these cards in these lists will work for you. pick your budget.
Then go to www.newegg.com and purchase whatever card you picked from them. It will cost less that way, and will be saved from paying taxes.
I built my entire PC with all the parts from newegg.com. They have great fast service.
I have two 8800 GTX ACS3 cards in SLI ( basically bridged) I have no worries for a long while with displaying any PC games or applications!

Good Luck, and hope this helps!

J

Chromenut said:
Isn't the 7200 newer than the 6800? I'm running the 6800 ultra and it works great.

Performance on nVidia cards isn't based on the model number - at least not directly.

A 7200 is quite a bit slower than a 6800.

Here's how it works (right now... it'll likely change in the future)

the first digit (5,6,7,8,9) is the "generation". The second digit is the speed within that generation.

so a 7600, 8600, and 9600 all perform just about the same (I know this from personal experience.) Likewise, a 7800, 8800, and 9800 perform about the same. The difference is image quality. The newer generation cards (8800 and 9800) have more features and faster anti-aliasing, but about the same raw performance numbers.

So buy a 7600, 8600, or 9600 card at the bare miniumum. An 8800 or 9800 is a better choice, but only if you can spare the cash.

As Tom said...

The 7200 is a newer card using an older chipset.

The manufacturers will repackage their older video chips, after making a few mods to the IC and support electronics, and sell them at lower prices than when they originally released the chips in their original configurations.

From many standpoints this makes sense... that is, except for the game/sim players who are really looking for relatively high end performance.

Put one of those cards into a typical workstation used for daily work, and the machine will hum along nicely... but for G3/G4... not so good.

One question. Isn't the 7200 an AGP card, where as the 8 and 9 series PCI-e? If this is the case then to use either 8x or 9x will mean upgrading to a newer motherboard.

Scrapper said:
One question. Isn't the 7200 an AGP card, where as the 8 and 9 series PCI-e? If this is the case then to use either 8x or 9x will mean upgrading to a newer motherboard.
Sounds like you need a PC upgrade anyways. Seems like you have some old hardware there that may not allow you to utilize a lot of todays software programs.
I would upgrade just to be more up to date and better prepared for tomorrow.

J

If this is to any concern to you, Knife Edge packs thier in store demo G4 Simulator PC with an 8600 GT.

J

I played on the KE computer at my LHS and that thing lags hard.

I would say buy the fastest card you can you will not regret spending the cash.

And sorry guy's I am a ATI guy all the way. :D

upgrades?

You guys are upgrading computers that are already better than my 2 1/2 yr old HP laptop :( works great for DJ/KJ ing (spare time), Never expected to be trying to fly online.

System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-32, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series
MFR: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 6.14.0010.6583 (English)
Date: 11/10/2005 17:52:00, 247296 bytes
CD-ROM (?:\) MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-840S (?)
Installed in: C:\Program Files\RealFlightG4
Free Disk Space (C:\): 9581 mb free
Launcher Version: 1.00.018
LauncherHelper Version: 1.00.312
RealFlight G4: 4.00.054

Hmmm, anything worth while I can do besides buy a new puter? It's been an awesome computer, but seems like a dinosaur now. It actually works fine except for water and 3d fields.

Last edited:
I have a 7200 and it runs RF just fine, before that I had a 5200 and it ran it ok, but not great, with the 7200 I have now I get about 100 fps avg. so assuming that I'm not being an idiot and just replying because I can (I try not to do that) I would think the 7200 would work fine.

Back