Editing an airport...

MHildebrand

I'm attempting to build a new airport. I placed the 5 pieces of the aircraft carrier on the ground. Now I want to move the entire aircraft carrier to a new place; how do I select all five pieces to move them? :eek:

Lasso all five pieces at once.

It is easier if you create a subfolder for complex multipart objects.

Then place those objects in the subfolder.

Selecting the subfolder in the editor, selects all of the member objects... simple.

Perfect! Thanks, that did the trick. Is there a way to get a 'blue X' on the deck of the aircraft carrier? All my attempts playing with the Z axis have failed. Is there another way I'm overlooking?

I haven't gotten very deep into creating things. (yet?) Poking around in the editors, and in the forum search, I did find a few things. Some brought up more questions, then answers.
I noticed, in the Environment Editor, the "Blue X", Object Type, is listed as, a "Projected Scenery Object". Clicking on this, yielded the following message: (Object type) The type of object. Different types of objects have different properties and behaviors.
I found this link: http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/objects_tutorial.php#projected That may help.
One of the questions raised, was, why, after placing the "Blue X" on a (ground) runway, flying a 360 degree circle around it, I could only see the Blue X, through half the circuit . (0-180 yes)(180-360 no)
The Elevation (Z), of the Blue X, is not adjustable, as it has to be projected on a solid surface , apparently. (But from Where?:confused:) It also, is supposed to conform, to terrain.
Note: I was able to adjust the elevation of the "Blue Dot Night", which is a "Static Scenery Object".
To place it on the roof of a hanger, I landed a helicopter on the roof, and noted the Altitude (AGL) In the NavGuide, to obtain the Z axis, for the Blue Dot. Note; The Blue Dot does Not conform to the roof. It will hover.

Objects will only "conform to terrain" they will not conform to other 3D objects.

So if you attempt to put a bulls eye target on an inclined rooftop and tell the editor to conform it to terrain, it will fall to the ground under the building.

However not all objects truly conform to the terrain, so your bulls eye may fall to the ground level at it's center point, but one edge may be visible and the other hidden in the terrain if the terrain is in itself inclined.

It is far better to use absolute co-ordinates to place an object on top of something else.

If I recall correctly "projected" objects are used for VISIBLE depth buffers in pano images, so they do not behave exactly the same is normal 3D objects.

I find it easier to nudge the object up or down in the editor until it is at a proper height.

On one airport I created a brick grill set by nudging objects in the editor.

The brickwork consisted of various wall segments positioned in 3D space. I placed a fire in the top opening and a brick chimney the same way, and finally I imbedded metal fences into the sides of the wall, one on each side, to make it look like a grill top. This was quite effective.

However if I attempted to move the scenery to another 3D terrain location, everything just fell to the ground... ugh.

I enjoy seeing efforts where people have used the provided 3D objects in very clever ways.

Back