Editor default layout

Bill Stuntz

I'm still using RF8, but I'm posting this question here because this is the forum getting the action & I assume it also applies to RF9. If I'm wrong, I hope Ryan or somebody will move it to the RF8 forum.

I've been using RF since RF2, but I've pretty much only flown stock or swap aircraft as-is without messing with them. I'm finally getting around to doing some editing. And the aircraft editor is driving me NUTS because the default Layout 1 gives a stupidly short 3-1/2 line text window at the bottom & I have to constantly scroll it to even see what parameters are available to edit. But there's a useful "Layout 2" that puts the text window on the left and lets me see & think about most or all of the parameters at once. The editor ALWAYS opens in the less useful Layout 1, and I always have to manually switch it to Layout 2 to see what I'm doing. It's especially annoying if I make a change, go fly to see if it did what I want, edit..fly..edit..fly, etc. Is there any way to force the editor to open using Layout 2? The editor is smart enough to remember what I was doing when I closed it, but so dumb it doesn't remember what layout I was using. PITA:rolleyes:
Layout1.jpgLayout2.jpg
Note that the text window is displaying the same set of parameters in both screen shots.

Last edited:
I'm still using RF8, but I'm posting this question here because this is the forum getting the action & I assume it also applies to RF9. If I'm wrong, I hope Ryan or somebody will move it to the RF8 forum.

I've been using RF since RF2, but I've pretty much only flown stock or swap aircraft as-is without messing with them. I'm finally getting around to doing some editing. And the aircraft editor is driving me NUTS because the default Layout 1 gives a stupidly short 3-1/2 line text window at the bottom & I have to constantly scroll it to even see what parameters are available to edit. But there's a useful "Layout 2" that puts the text window on the left and lets me see & think about most or all of the parameters at once. The editor ALWAYS opens in the less useful Layout 1, and I always have to manually switch it to Layout 2 to see what I'm doing. It's especially annoying if I make a change, go fly to see if it did what I want, edit..fly..edit..fly, etc. Is there any way to force the editor to open using Layout 2? The editor is smart enough to remember what I was doing when I closed it, but so dumb it doesn't remember what layout I was using. PITA:rolleyes:
View attachment 128874View attachment 128875
Note that the text window is displaying the same set of parameters in both screen shots.

nope! That's how it [doesn't] works. it has been broken since the editor changed. in 7.5 i think might have been 6.5. whenever it was I swapped between versions because it was less hassle to change between a version that had the old editor to edit planes and restart rf to use multiplayer and the new features in the free update.

There was a keyboard button that would toggle component display graphics only (see visual tab), physics only (physics wire frame no 3d model), and both (see physics tab) also there was less white space (hogging/wasting screen space.

when the editor closes it does not update the ini file. I would like to try a custom layout, the tab can be docked to different parts of the screen, to make cross tab editing easier having the radio, electronics, and physics tab open at the same time. but having to reset up the layout after a crash in editor or an interlink desync while the editor is open is annoying.

Other annoyances: Layout 2 is too narrow, I can't see values, etc. until I've resized it, but it doesn't remember the resize, so it comes back up too narrow again. Layout 1's text window can be made taller, too. But it forgets that I want it to be tall enough to be useful, too. IMHO, ALL the editor's settings should be saved when exiting & restored when reopening the editor.

@Ryan Douglas @Jeremy Sebens are you listening? I'm sure RF8's a done deal & isn't being worked on anymore, but it would sure be nice in future/current/updated versions. IMHO, RF9 isn't enough better than RF8 to justify the price. A better editor might change my mind about buying 9 instead of waiting until the next version. It sounds like @legoman has some good suggestions, too. Another thing that would be GREAT: An automated way to import all the custom stuff from one version to the next. Manually moving/duplicating the contents & then finding/editing all the hard coded links to required files is also a PITA. Get rid of the hard-coded links & make them relative to the correct RF version's directory.

Last edited:
I just hope HH is going to continue developing RF. No news yet on their future plans.
If they just keep marketing the current version, I believe RF will soon become extinct!

No news yet on their future plans.
That's nothing new. AFAIK, they've NEVER announced anything about future plans/versions until it's nearly ready for release.
P.S. I'd gladly volunteer to be a beta tester... hint, hint. I did that for the Motorola Moto-X cell phone in 2014, & they made a couple changes based on my input. I was only a casual user there (as I am here) but everyone's input can be significant, power-user, or not.

Last edited:
We spent an awful lot of time trying to make the layout changes persist. Alas, it isn't possible under the current constraints for technical reasons. You may not believe this, but we would probably be even happier than all of you to have it work that way! We still hope that someday it will be possible.

We could probably make it remember your preset layout setting, though. I've filed a case about that.

Another thing that would be GREAT: An automated way to import all the custom stuff from one version to the next.
Agreed. We have a case on something like this as well. :)

Back