Electric Shock V2

abaser

So, I said I refused to learn Blender again. But, I have been toying around in it for the past couple of nights and watching some videos, and I have decided to give it a shot. So, for my first attempt, I'm going to go with a fairly simple model to get my bearings straight. Doing the internals is where I feel I'll really start to get back into the groove of things. In what little time I have searched for reference materials, I have not been able to find any good shots to use as build guides. If I don't come up with something soon, I'll just go by feel on the shape to get it close. Since this is a refresher model, I may or may not put it on the swaps when finished. It all depends on how it turns out and if there's any interest (I believe there's already a few swapped so....). I'll set the scene up in the next few days and will update once I get started.

Attachments

• Cerebus RC - Electric Shockr.jpg
    Cerebus RC - Electric Shockr.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 10
Really great to see you back at it Andy, I`ve always loved your work. This plane looks like a really fun plane to fly, the internals look fantastic, and the CS looks great as well.. !!. I`ll be watching this for sure, and hoping you complete it, and put it on the swaps..... (y) (y) :)

So, this is the best thing I could find for a side view. It's about the worst thing I could try and follow, but I guess it'll have to do. For this one, I'm going to do things backwards from what I would normally do. Typically, I would do the model first, then duplicate it and carve the bones from there. I've got an idea on this one though that I want to try. I will just keep that to myself for the time being though.

All in all, it isn't a lot, nor is it a tough model, but it's taking me a while to get back into the groove at the same time as learning a new program. This took me a couple hours to get this far.
start.JPG

I found the same pic. I tried rotating the fuse in gimp for you with what tools were available, but no luck. What you have so far looks like great start. I did find a top view pic. of the wing that may help you some..???? It`s not the best, You`ve probably already seen it, But I`ll post it anyway, in the event that you haven't.

Attachments

• shock 3.PNG
    shock 3.PNG
    243.3 KB · Views: 12
Thanks UT. I do have that one and a few more off the PA website.

Just for kicks, I opened wings and imported what I did in blender as a reference and made a carbon copy of that, plus the skin and vertical stab in about 30 minutes. That being said, I may go back to wings for the modeling process for the time being.

Ha, I Iooked into Blender not to long ago, just for $hits and giggles, and it looked way to confusing to me, BUT, Wings still looks more user friendly to me in regards to modeling, I found that when I built the PZL-P1 (knowing nothing about modeling, and with your help) wings was something I could comprehend. It sounds like you`re discovering the same..??...Regardless, it`s great to see you back and creating a model again, I really hope you complete it. I`ve always loved these kind of planes with there maneuverability and the ability to see there framework, that always looks cool.... (y) (y)

Am I wrong? I'm pretty sure I read (a long time ago) on here that you can't set pivot points using Wings. I could be wrong, since I've never even tried to create an aircraft for RF. In 23 years on the forum, I think I've read pretty much every post - many of which went right over my head.

Am I wrong? I'm pretty sure I read (a long time ago) on here that you can't set pivot points using Wings. I could be wrong, since I've never even tried to create an aircraft for RF. In 23 years on the forum, I think I've read pretty much every post - many of which went right over my head.
You are correct. The modeling and mapping can be done in wings, then you transfer the file to either Max or Blender to do pivots, naming, and parenting. The CS it’s done in a photo editing program such as photoshop or gimp.

Ha, I Iooked into Blender not to long ago, just for $hits and giggles, and it looked way to confusing to me, BUT, Wings still looks more user friendly to me in regards to modeling, I found that when I built the PZL-P1 (knowing nothing about modeling, and with your help) wings was something I could comprehend. It sounds like you`re discovering the same..??...Regardless, it`s great to see you back and creating a model again, I really hope you complete it. I`ve always loved these kind of planes with there maneuverability and the ability to see there framework, that always looks cool.... (y) (y)
Wings has always been easy for me. The thing with blender is trying to learn all the key commands, and you can easily hit two keys at once. If the timing is right, it’ll do something you’re not aware of until later down the road and then you’ve got issues. I use a laptop in a recliner so it’s easy to hit something you don’t want to do.

Another thing is it works differently than anything else I’ve used. Perfect example is making holes in an object. Normally you take two opposing faces in max or wings and you bridge them. I tried 20 minutes last night to do that in blender, and after finally going to YouTube, I found out you bridge edge loops, not faces. Granted that’s not a big deal and it is something I do plan on migrating to, I’m just a little impatient right now.

The plane looks great. It didn't take you long to get back in the groove.
Well, wings is almost like I never quit to be honest. The hard part is the fact that I don’t have any decent reference pics to get accurate shape/sizing for things. I’m sure I’m way off on all of that but it is what it is I guess. It’s a good refresher because doing the internals makes you use most of the tools I’d normally use.

Back