Emulating the DX6i Heli Curves in Aircraft Edit

jon6565

I have read that you can emulate and adjust the settings on a model in G4.5 as per the settings on a Radio such as the DX6i. Needless to say I have one and the Blade 400 and I have been given (and found) some Noobie curves for more control whilst becoming accustomed to flying it.

What I would like to do is replicate this on the model on G4.5.

I have seen and fiddled with settings before but with (from what I can see) only "Low Rates When and "Exponential When" I can't fathom how to do this.

Any clues>

Thanks

Jon

You can. It is called adjusting the MAX throw for the servo. When in High rates, it uses the max throw allowed. In low rates, it only uses a certain fraction of these throws set.

I cannot explain the whole thing now, however, tomorrow when I have time, I will explain it in the best detail possible; if someone else hasn't already.

Been there, read the same stuff, you need to mess with throttle and pitch curves. Swash mixing? I think you would be better off, flying the aircraft as-is. Put in an hour a day for 2-3 months on the sim and this stuff will be behind you.

Radio Output Channel 6
Normal, Idle1, Idle2 Curve Option Settings

It's all there in the aircraft editor, if you don't find it in one place, keep looking. Far faster than posting a question.

Oh and I forgot.... ditch the Blade 400

Last edited:
I cannot fly a heli that well at all. I usually just adjust the Servo pitch to control these things. I just try to find a solution that is fast and easy for me, although wj has a point. Just mess around until you find this stuff and you will do find. I have put in a good work of several hours of flying helis the past week or two, but I'm no Heli man.

If you're REALLY BORED....

Edit a heli in RF to accept the "Pass-Through" radio type. I forget where it is exactly but it's in aircraft editor.

You have to set up a new model in your DX6i, name it realflight or something so you remember where it is. Set it to heli type, with an Single Servo swash type (single servo, normal, 1-servo, SR-1, something like that). The single servo is necessary because RealFlight doesn't understand CCPM mixed signals.

In RealFlight, set ALL of the expo, throttle curves, pitch curves, everything to linear. Zero expo will do the trick, and make sure pitch/throttle curves are a straight line. Also, you will need to disable the governor (or just delete the component) since this function requires a 7-channel radio.

This will get the heli to be zero-pitch at midstick on the radio. You can set your throttle curves, pitch curves, dual rates, expo, etc. to make it work like a real heli. Your dual rates will work as dual rates, your radio's actual throttle hold will work, the pitch/throttle curves will come straight from your transmitter.

If you really understand the radio and can figure out how to tell realflight pass-through, this whole ordeal can be set up in 20-30 minutes easy. If you have pre-programmed throttle/pitch curves in your radio it takes just a few minutes. If you are trying to learn radio setup and pitch/throttle curves in real life, RealFlight will actually be pretty close to the real thing. The values will be different than in real life, but the setup method and stuff you will need to look for will be correct.

Electric helis usually have a throttle curve that looks like:
NORM: 0-INH-85-INH-85 or, 0-50-85-85-85
STUNT: 100-INH-100-INH-100 or 100-100-100-100-100

Nitros will be different. You'll need to tune the curves to maintain a constant 1700-2000rpm depending on the heli.

As a starting point:
NORM: 0-25-50-75-100 (standard linear curve)
STUNT: 100-75-50-75-100

You'll have to modify the nitro curves to maintain a constant headspeed.

Make sure your throttle hold setting is at 0% also. Typically that's good practice on everything anyway. Stupid Horizon Hobby ships most of the heli radios with -5% on throttle hold. This will either shut off a nitro engine if you forget about it, or re-calibrate an ESC and make the thing start spooling up when you disengage throttle hold. And that's annoying.

-Eric

Last edited:
Try this link

This is the link

This link provides the steps for setting up a DX6i radio for use with Real Flight in Heli mode. There is also a link for setting up an airplane in the text of this web page. I found this information especially useful when I first got my DX6i to get into using the programming features of the radio.

I put in one model as #9 and the other as #10. Wow it is not that difficult to set up a plane. Sure there are a lot of other things the radio can do, but that got me started. In the end, I found out that I preferred using the Interlink Elite that comes with Real Flight.

Last edited:
I can only do what I can do. You made mention of the page and I did what you might have considered.... using search or Googling it. This is not pointed at you but at the mentality that a question needs to be asked each time. I start out by recognizing that I often need an answer. I use the web search engines and my personal library to help myself first. I very often find the information quickly in this manner. It is really coming to the point that I do not need to communicate with another human on any problem.

The original post was asking for information to modify the throttle/pitch curves within RF software, and I posted that information. You turned around the discussion to doing everything in the radio. Thats ok, so I piped in with the link.

Be Happy

rccardude04 said:
It woulda made my life easier if you showed us that in the beginning. :p

-Eric

Last edited:
Nah I was just giving you a hard time. I've seen the tutorial before but it kinda slipped my mind when I posted that. Otherwise I would have probably went to look for it. I usually do.

jon6565, is that what you were looking for by any chance?

-Eric

rccardude04 said:
jon6565, is that what you were looking for by any chance?

-Eric
Thanks Eric but no... not really. I have already hooked up the DX6i with the pass through option and found some associated 'starter' curves.

it was more a case of... as i said at the outset "emulating" the DX6i curves. It was explained quite well above.

I think I have enough to go on guys. Thanks a lot. :)

Jon

Back