Error:D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA when Multiplayer online

DGrogan

The following error messages are received, and the program shuts down when I attempt Multiplayer online mode:

Error: D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA
File: .\DXTexture.cpp
Line: 530

and...

Error: D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA
File: .\DXTexture.cpp
Line: 693

...any ideas?:confused:

Yup.

You have a problem with your DirectX installation.

Update your video, network, and audio drivers. Clean installs help a lot.

Reboot after each.

Download and install DirectX9.0c redistributable from Microsoft.

Reboot again.

Turn off your firewall software temporarily and any internet or web protection stuff.

Try again.

If it now works re-enable your protection software once at a time.

I'm running RF in a VMware Fusion 6 from a Mac host. I get this error when I try to do a challenge. The sim works fine before that. Been using RF 6.5 this way for a long time with no issues. Seems it needs just a slight bit more graphics card or something to load the challenge, or in the case of the original poster the multiplayer session.

Would be nice if this could be addressed. I'll post back if I find a workaround I guess.

Quick update. This error is related to video ram I believe. For me if I just decreased the size of my display it seemed to be just on the border and I was able to go ahead and run the challenges. So far anyway. So if you have this error on a physical machine you likely need a better video card.

Yup, video drivers, DX9 or insufficient VRAM for the current display resolution.

The bottom line is that this is NOT a Realflight error nor something that needs to be "addressed" by Knifeedge.

It is due to a prior problem on the machine.

It would be nice if DX9 would not simply error out like that, and instead explain the cause to the end user, but that is beyond Knifeedge's doing.

DX9 dumps out without returning an error to the sim.

Last edited:
I was getting the same messages a little while ago... I shut down everything running. Could not get Real Flight to go into the MP sessions or change airports. I used the launcher to restore the defaults and everything is working again..
Hope that helps someone.

Restoring the defaults does a few primary things.

It re-creates the default Realflight.ini file.

It removes all calibrations.

It returns the sim to the default airport and aircraft.

It sets the sim to re-establish the video card settings via a quick benchmark.

Since the sim is looking for optimal frame rates, it errs on the side of speed versus quality for the best experience.

That means it dials down video settings.... and we come back around to video.

I agree... I don't know what happened this afternoon and why it suddenly quit working. I rebooted figuring that it was just a video memory leak problem... then I did the restore defaults... That may just help someone that is unable to proceed further figuring out the problem.. but I do agree as to the cause.

My elaboration was a bit rhetorical for other's sake.

I -KNOW- you know what you are doing.

I have same problem but am using DirectX 11.

eh, Realflight ONLY works with Directx9.

So you must install the DirectX9.0c redistributable on your computer no matter what you may think you currently have installed.

This will not harm anything as the installer will not overwrite more recent version files.
It will however install the DX9 files that you are missing.

This is a quite common mistake.

It is documented in the manual however.

I am not sure what happened today... I was getting the same error each time I tried to switch environments. I used the launcher to restore the system defaults and all was normal again.

The only other unusual thing that I was doing was helping a guy with his Tactic TTX610. His radio seemed to be setup as mode 1 and we edited the channels. It took several times to get it right as I was explaining it to him and following along on my computer. The next time I used real flight, everything seemed OK until I tried to switch fields.

Last edited:
I have no problems running it under the following:

Runtime Version: DirectX 12
Hardware-Supported Version DirectX 11.1

I have no problems running it under the following:

Runtime Version: DirectX 12
Hardware-Supported Version DirectX 11.1

RealFlight still uses DirectX 9. Without the required DX9 files RealFlight doesn't run even if you have a newer version of DirectX installed.

Back