Expansion Pack 2 screenshots

Not to dispute your points but...

Dodo?

Not anytime soon thank you!

Yes, they are a dieing bread. There are hobby shops in the interior of the province that don't even stock fuel engines anymore. Not only have sales plummeted but there are no locations for them to be flown anymore.

G3 has many electrics as is, in the expansion packs which do fly very well.

You can also easily electrify many of the included planes.

The E-Flite Ultimate edit in G3 behaves like the real thing.

A new user that is buying this software to learn to fly is not going to have an understanding of that. Not only do the majority of people not want to have to edit the planes so they fly like the real thing, but the overwhelming majority of new users are not going to know what the real thing is supposed to fly like yet. How can you edit something to fly like the real thing when you haven't flown the real thing yet?

And yes fueled models -ARE- the ONLY way to go!

Must be nice to own your own farm or something where you can fly them then.

DavidWinter said:
Not to dispute your points but...

Yes, they are a dieing bread. There are hobby shops in the interior of the province that don't even stock fuel engines anymore. Not only have sales plummeted but there are no locations for them to be flown anymore.

Hardly.

The smaller Hobby shops make more money on the electrics, due to higher markups, and lower storage/shipping costs.

Most "experienced" modelers tend to use other sources for cheaper glow planes, and these large providers are doing very well.

Try asking the store owners to eliminate the "glow is dying" B.S. to get a real answer as to why they are not stocking them.

Flying sites abound, you should contact your local RC clubs.

Electrics are hardly tolerated there... and then only the larger glow to electric conversions (which require a glow airplane to start with...) are permitted.

Hmmm... world competition & meets with glows and gassers is at an all time high and you believe it's "dying"?

A bit of a myopic view and assertion.

DavidWinter said:
A new user that is buying this software to learn to fly is not going to have an understanding of that. Not only do the majority of people not want to have to edit the planes so they fly like the real thing, but the overwhelming majority of new users are not going to know what the real thing is supposed to fly like yet.

Yes, and that's why there are the expansion packs with the electrics in them.

DavidWinter said:
How can you edit something to fly like the real thing when you haven't flown the real thing yet?

Very easily. Download the manuals from the web sites and "dial in" the numbers in the editor. Many have done this here w/o problems.

If you don't want to undertake the effort, grab the expansion packs or the user created planes.

... though most of these tend to be glow planes and helis for a reason.

G3 does most of the work for you, even choosing the right equivalent engine when you tell it to convert a plane to an electric version.

DavidWinter said:
Must be nice to own your own farm or something where you can fly them then.

Actually "my own" FIELD, is just 4 minutes from my home

http://www.dc-rc.org/waltgood field.htm

Thanks to the club memberships, I have my own passkey to open or close the field whenever I wish.

It -IS- very nice, and fun to watch the guys with the huge 40% sized gasser planes and Jet Turbine aircraft.

David, You'll just have to agree to disagree with Opjose on this one. I've gone thru the same argument with him before. Some people dispise electrics, some people love them, some people like both. You'll never convince him that electrics are the future. Having said that I agree with David that the future is in the electrics. Even the AMA is starting to see this.

Very easily. Download the manuals from the web sites and "dial in" the numbers in the editor. Many have done this here w/o problems.

ummm.. no you can't do this at all. Go download the information for a GWS P-51. Put in a GWS 11.1v 1300mAh lipo with the correct stats and for giggles use a BP-21 brushless outrunner in it. See how easy it is to do as only 1/10th the numbers you need to accuratly recreate the plane, powersystem, and battery in G3 are even remotely posted. All the rest of the numbers will be wrong and guesses taking hours and hours of tweaking to even come up with something remotely close. Not something I have the patience to do all the time. I've done this and posted my results but they don't fly very close to a real GWS P-51.

You are the master of that physics editor though so I'm sure it's no problem...

Last edited:
I have seven birds, all of them fuel, two gassers and five glow. I own no electrics, and until the prices come-down greatly, will have none.

Flying field 2 or so miles from home, 1 electric there, rest gas or glow.

Guess we haven't heard that fuel is dead here, yet. :D

Charles

Actually I like electrics.

They will not replace my glows of equivalent size due to the outrageous costs involved. Try electrifying a .90 or above sometime to embrace current realities.

No thanks, I rather buy two or three complete glow planes with the associated costs involved.

Strangely the same sentiment seems to be held by most of the RC clubs here.

The future?

Sure they WILL be, once there is a way to make them as cheap as a glow to purchase and operate, while producing the same power output.

The AMA has recognized that the low end of the scale is doing just that.

And this is creeping into the slightly larger planes.

But for the moment, that's about it for the "average user".

However the arguement that glows are going away some time soon, is not (yet) based upon the real world.

That may change, but it will be when someone finally develops a cheap high power cell...

... and when they do, it will go into our cars first, I hope.

Existing battery tech just doesn't cut it.

20min+ recharge cycles, indeed.

Hah, (for the moment) no thanks, I'll just add more bean fuel and fly while you wait.

It will be a very long time before glow and gas go's away.In fact i don't think they ever will and i hope they dont! You can't replace the sound of a glow or gas engine with electric PERIOD.Same goes for cars and buggies.I have an ofna ultra gt lx .21 buggy it blows any electric away sound wise and that is what got me into it in the first place.It's unbeleivable the power and sound they produce!And i know electric can do the same BUT it doesnt sound the same.And quite frankly electric is a pain in the a?? and it cost's much more for planes anyway "speed control, li-po,ni-mh,nicd???uggggghhh chargers!!.I would much rather dump some fuel in the tank and go again than put it on the charger and wait wait wait :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes but communities don't want the sound of buzzing two stroke model airplanes. That's why any fuel powered airfields are being forced further and further away. And as cities and communities expand close to fuel model airfields, those airfields get pushed away. That is one of the reasons it's so difficult to find places to fly them.

Expensive? Hmm okay, GWS model airplane, in the air, under $50 dollars (assumes you own the radio which you need for fuel anyway). Hmm yeah.. pricey. Scratch built electric, in the air, for for oh.. $15. (again, assumes radio already there).

A $25 battery pack will last unlimited flights if maintained properly. How long does $25 worth of fuel last? wait and wait for charging? My battery packs are fully charged in about 15 minutes. You've probably spent that long trying to get your engine started and tuned properly so it doesn't stall.

Most "experienced" modelers tend to use other sources for cheaper glow planes, and these large providers are doing very well.

I've been building models of all kinds for 25 years. My first RC model airplane was built when I was about 14. Fuel powered. Hated it. Took forever and a day to be able to get to the one site that would allow them. Fed up trying to keep the engine running for more than 30 seconds. For every plane in the air, there were 10 others in 'the pits' having their engines tickered with so they'd run properly. Became fed up deal with the fuel as a whole and left the RC airplane hobby (started building scratch built 1:100 scale model ships and subs.. yes scratch built.. as a teenager).. The ONLY reason I got back into airplanes is due to the quantum leap in electric abilities. If you don't think you can get performance out of electrics, you're still living in 1985. I purchased RF for the purpose of re-teaching myself to fly. Unfortunately, the vast majority of models are fuel. And the electrics in the sim do not perform at all like a real electric does.

yes, I could probably spend hours and hours in the editor fiddling with the settings to get something close. But when I spend close to $300 for the package, I expect it "real" out of the box..

And by the way, I have asked hobby shop owners about this. The Answer? "The municipality no longer allows fuel models to be flown. People don't want to drive for an hour to get to an air field. So, they buy electrics and can fly them at the soccer fields on Sundays."

Last edited:
I just got my Expansion Pack 2 about 20 minutes ago. :D I only took screen shots of the Avant Aurora.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1154391485.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391485.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 81
  • ScreenShot1154391432.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391432.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 52
  • ScreenShot1154391368.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391368.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 67
  • ScreenShot1154391367.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391367.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ScreenShot1154391365.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391365.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 57
more:

Attachments

• ScreenShot1154391347.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391347.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 49
  • ScreenShot1154391290.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391290.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 211
  • ScreenShot1154391223.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391223.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 57
  • ScreenShot1154391193.jpg
    ScreenShot1154391193.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 52
Keep them screenshots comin'!

I agree, op. The size electric planes I would have to fly are cost prohibitive. Very unrealistic prices, today.

DavidWinter said:
Yes but communities don't want the sound of buzzing two stroke model airplanes. That's why any fuel powered airfields are being forced further and further away. And as cities and communities expand close to fuel model airfields, those airfields get pushed away. That is one of the reasons it's so difficult to find places to fly them.

I don't know where your flying but most fields here already have ample sound restrictions.

This has never been a real problem or cited as such on the myriad of fields I've been to.

Again, it's not difficult to find a place to fly, but your area may be different.

This doesn't mean that the dearth of locales for you translates to the same for everyone else.

DavidWinter said:
Expensive? Hmm okay, GWS model airplane, in the air, under $50 dollars (assumes you own the radio which you need for fuel anyway). Hmm yeah.. pricey. Scratch built electric, in the air, for for oh.. $15. (again, assumes radio already there).

Oh, come on.

You are citing prices for park flyers not decent sized typical R/C planes.

This is specious. Try citing typical electrification prices for a .90 sized plane or above for a real comparison. Can we say 400.00 in a single battery pack alone?

DavidWinter said:
A $25 battery pack will last unlimited flights if maintained properly.

A typical LiPo pack is hardly unlimited. You are lucky to get 50 flights out of a pack that is drawn at 2C rates due to the internal breakdown of chemicals.

Even 50 can be pushing it with higher draws.

DavidWinter said:
How long does $25 worth of fuel last? wait and wait for charging? My battery packs are fully charged in about 15 minutes.

Maybe for a small park flyer, but I don't have to wait at all.

That 25.00 worth of fuel goes far longer than the price of an equivalent amount of energy in a battery pack required to power a typical .40 - .50 plane.

The price of those batteries buys me many cases of glow fuel, which is not quite as prone to self combustion as the LiPo's.

DavidWinter said:
You've probably spent that long trying to get your engine started and tuned properly so it doesn't stall.

Really? One flip is longer?

It takes me longer to hook up those poorly designed electric connections.

Why don't they ever bother putting a switch and charging receptacle in the kits and ARF's?

DavidWinter said:
The ONLY reason I got back into airplanes is due to the quantum leap in electric abilities. If you don't think you can get performance out of electrics, you're still living in 1985.

You haven't tried modern glow engines since then it appears.

You would be amazed at how improved they are.

I know I was, when I compare the hassles of glow power in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. to what is available now.

All that screwing around is a thing of the past.

DavidWinter said:
I purchased RF for the purpose of re-teaching myself to fly. Unfortunately, the vast majority of models are fuel. And the electrics in the sim do not perform at all like a real electric does.

The electrics I have and have tried fly very close to the sim, especially those in the Expansion Pack 1.

You should point out the differences so those of us so inclined can attempt to fix the dissimiliarities though.

Specificity helps a lot, e.g. it doesn't roll enough, it pitches down at throttle up and it shouldn't etc.

(I have a personal pet peeve against those who make "it isn't realistic" claims w/o also saying WHAT they find wrong with particular models. Doing so is non-constructive and often a misperception to something they do not fully understand.)

DavidWinter said:
yes, I could probably spend hours and hours in the editor fiddling with the settings to get something close. But when I spend close to $300 for the package, I expect it "real" out of the box..

Please cite, what is lacking.

I find it "real" out of the box for the most (with exceptions) of the models I fly... but there is no doubt that some may need tweaking, especially those "add-ons" which were created for G2, not G3.

I don't know, I can forgive KE if their backward compatibility attempt is not perfect.

DavidWinter said:
And by the way, I have asked hobby shop owners about this. The Answer? "The municipality no longer allows fuel models to be flown.

Have you seen a law enacted specifying this limitation?

I doubt it.

Rather this is a perception to the loss of a local airfield.

The same encrochement that growth brings to the glows, applies to the electrics as well.

Unless you are flying the micros... in which case things get worst!

The small planes are often more difficult to fly, as there are no airfields or set locations that permit their use.

Were it not for my local "glow" oriented fields I'd only be able to fly my small electrics on private property, like someone's farm...

... much as you said for the glow planes.

Thanks to the tolerance of my glow field, I can fly my Brio 10, E-Flite Ultimate, etc.

DavidWinter said:
People don't want to drive for an hour to get to an air field. So, they buy electrics and can fly them at the soccer fields on Sundays."

That will pass unfortunately. You'll loose that soccer field very soon.

Some idiot will believe that the small planes are pose some sort of danger and you'll be back to the above scenario.

I don't wish it on you, but I've seen it happen time and again.

Thanks to the wonderful world of useless litigation the small GWS electrics you enjoy now, are often targets for the courts.... if not targets for idiots with guns.

The only protections against this are those RC clubs with airfields.

Any 90SE screenshots??

Hey Guys.

Can someone please post some pics of the 90SE.

Thanks a lot
Ross

Mr. Winter's profile says he hails from British Columbia, Canada. What happens up there, has Zero bearing what happens in the United States.

Thank God! :cool:

Ross001 said:
Hey Guys.

Can someone please post some pics of the 90SE.

Thanks a lot
Ross

I will in a few minutes.

They are not the best screen shots but...

Attachments

• ScreenShot1154454478.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454478.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 63
  • ScreenShot1154454341.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454341.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 69
  • ScreenShot1154454336.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454336.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 59
  • ScreenShot1154454304.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454304.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ScreenShot1154454290.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454290.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
more:

Attachments

• ScreenShot1154454279.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454279.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 45
  • ScreenShot1154454262.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454262.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ScreenShot1154454227.jpg
    ScreenShot1154454227.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 46
Oh, come on.

You are citing prices for park flyers not decent sized typical R/C planes.

Yeah.. obviously. Looks like you missed the portion in my original post that specifically request park flyers be added.. In fact I believe I mention two or three specific park flyer models.

A typical LiPo pack is hardly unlimited. You are lucky to get 50 flights out of a pack that is drawn at 2C rates due to the internal breakdown of chemicals.

Even 50 can be pushing it with higher draws.

Strange then considering I already have double that on most of my packs.

The price of those batteries buys me many cases of glow fuel, which is not quite as prone to self combustion as the LiPo's.

Lipo's only explode if you don't know what you're doing and don't take precautions.. funny.. fuel is much the same.

It takes me longer to hook up those poorly designed electric connections.

Why don't they ever bother putting a switch and charging receptacle in the kits and ARF's?

Poorly designed? Okay.. don't know where you're getting your gear from then.. bob's surplus I guess. I don't know what ARF's you're talking about not having charging receptacles in.. I've not found one that doesn't have them.

You should point out the differences so those of us so inclined can attempt to fix the dissimiliarities though.

Specificity helps a lot, e.g. it doesn't roll enough, it pitches down at throttle up and it shouldn't etc.

(I have a personal pet peeve against those who make "it isn't realistic" claims w/o also saying WHAT they find wrong with particular models. Doing so is non-constructive and often a misperception to something they do not fully understand.)

- Not enough power.
- Can not do loops.
- They do not properly respond to turbulence in the air.
- They do not take off or land in a realistic fashion.
- The numbers for cells and motor combinations you have to enter into the sim (as an edit) to "create" a typical park flyer are about double or triple that of what are really used.

Have you seen a law enacted specifying this limitation?

I doubt it.

Hmm strange considering there are signs there that state something along the lines of "Electric RC models only. No fuel powered RC aircraft City Bylaw #xxxxx." (I can go take a picture of the signs if you like to get the bylaw number.)

The same encrochement that growth brings to the glows, applies to the electrics as well.

No, that is wrong. The two major electric flying fields are in the middle of the city. The lone fuel powered one has been forced to move a little over an hours drive away.

That will pass unfortunately. You'll loose that soccer field very soon.

Considering that soccer field IS home to one of the major electric only club flying fields. This doubtful.

Some idiot will believe that the small planes are pose some sort of danger and you'll be back to the above scenario.

I don't wish it on you, but I've seen it happen time and again.

Thanks to the wonderful world of useless litigation the small GWS electrics you enjoy now, are often targets for the courts.... if not targets for idiots with guns.

That is probably the only thing you've said in the whole thread I agree with. Thankfully guns are not so much of a problem here.

Listen, you're not going to convince me that fuel model airplanes have any future. Electric technology is changing and improving just too quickly for combustion engines to keep up. The new Sulphur polymer cells offer double the capacity and voltage of LiPo and are about 1/2 the weight.

Maybe you have lots of room to fly down there. Maybe you're in some desert region where people can go out in the middle of nowhere and have lots of room. Those of us that live in cities don't have the luxury. My 'middle of no where' is a rain forest.

You stick to your loud, dirty, finiky, expensive fuel models, that require special airfields and locations kilometers away from anywhere to fly them if that's what you enjoy. But it seems more and more people are moving past that. I can see how some old timers would have a hard time keeping up.

Last edited:
Kmot said:
Mr. Winter's profile says he hails from British Columbia, Canada. What happens up there, has Zero bearing what happens in the United States.

Thank God! :cool:

Yes.. thank God the reverse is true too.

Back