Expansion Pack5 G4 Only?

Yep, preliminary propaganda (i.e advertising) shows that one out of three flying sites is a water field, and that there are four aircraft that fly off of water. So even if it is still compatible with G3 about 30% of the expansion pack would not be very useful.

My G3 thru G4 still works, with what they were designed to work with. I fly all at times. G3 snap tendencies keep my on my toes. There are things I like with all the versions, and things I don't like with all the versions...pretty much the same with everything I've purchased in the last 40 years.

I've got my money's worth out of all of the RealFlight versions, and believe me I was vocal about some issues too.

Charles

im mainly interested in the krill katana, 38% 330s and the sukhoi. but oh well. its KE's decision.

harv

Like we found out earlier, G2 still works. No "demise" there. And like dhk said, G3 will still work even when there's a G10. Do you really have that many problems with G3 that it's mostly unusable to you? Waaah!!! Go back to your Pong machine.

Law said:
That's exactly the point I was trying to make last month when opjose insisted that RealFlight and KnifeEdge would upgrade G3.5 when the next Expansion Pack was released.

Hang on there, you are twisting my words around.

I didn't say that they WOULD, merely that there is typically activity around the release of the expansion pack... that this would be the time to see...

However see below...

Law said:
How can any future expansion pack be compatible with both G3.X and G4.0 when we all know that the file extensions are different?

That overlooks the existing expansion packs though.

File extensions are not used by the expansion packs.

There's that "O:\" drive thingy...

Law said:
Can I speculate now about the demise of G3.5? :D :D :D

Yes ( boy I'm going to catch hell for this! ) you have my blessings.

:D :D :D

opjose said:
Hang on there, you are twisting my words around.

I didn't say that they WOULD, merely that there is typically activity around the release of the expansion pack... that this would be the time to see...

What you said was:
opjose said:
The Expansion packs will support G3.x and G4, so any required "fixes" to support the next expansion pack will need to be available prior to or at the time of their release.
That being the case, the programmers also incorporate bug fixes along with the updates.

But, why split hairs. The point is that a "current version" of RealFlight is NOT compatible with the latest Expansion Pack ...

I'm including G3.5 as a "current version" because it is still being marketed and sold throughout the country.

opjose said:
However see below...

That overlooks the existing expansion packs though.

File extensions are not used by the expansion packs.

There's that "O:\" drive thingy...

I'm not "into" computers enough to understand your referrence to the "O:/" drive thingy ... technical terms like "thingy" always throw me ...

I was referring to file extensions for planes, airports, etc. Planes in G3.5 (as an example) are .G3X and in G4. they’re .KEX (I think). If the file extensions on the planes in the expansion pack are .KEX they won’t work in 3.5 - but, if they made them G3X they’d be compatible with both G3.5 and G4.0 (or is that not right?) ... then we might’ve see an update for G3.5. Obviously it’s a mute point since any decision about compatibility for future Expansion Packs has already been made. I guess I’m just surprised that G3.5 (a current version) is still being marketed and sold if that kind of decision has already been made.

opjose said:
Yes ( boy I'm going to catch hell for this! ) you have my blessings.

:D :D :D

I don't think I'll speculate ... I'll just follow along with the rest of the lemmings and upgrade ... Oh, wait ... that's right, I already did back in Jan. Or did I? I'll have to check ... :D

Oh sheesh Law, give it up, if this software isn't good enough for you, then leave. What you are doing is Trolling. G4 is out, so obviously KE will be making a EXPANSION PACK for it. NOT G3 - G3.5

Since there is such an interest in old PC stuff, I know where you could get some 5.25" floppies for a steal.

dhk79 said:
Since there is such an interest in old PC stuff, I know where you could get some 5.25" floppies for a steal.

Aww the good old days.....I grew up on those babies

Yep, my first single-sided floppy drive cost me more than a 500 GB hard drive does today.

Last edited:
Law said:
I'm not "into" computers enough to understand your referrence to the "O:/" drive thingy ... technical terms like "thingy" always throw me ...

The expansion packs seem to "mount" a virtual drive, which is a holdover from the initial G3 copy protection scheme.

Securerom and other encrypt a file system.

This is one reason that when errors do happen reading the large G3/G4 expansion pack files, the end result is the appearance of a message about an error reading a file off "O:\".

KE will continue with the same scheme with the new expansion pack, I'll bet.

So it MAY be that the new expansion pack - MAY - mount in G3, and some features - MAY - be available ( I AM speculating ) but as already said even if this is true, many of the salient features of the new pack will not be available.

Law said:
I don't think I'll speculate ... I'll just follow along with the rest of the lemmings and upgrade ... Oh, wait ... that's right, I already did back in Jan. Or did I? I'll have to check ... :D

I though you were holding out for the Add-on's patch.

At least for us lemmings, the view of the beach is nice on the way down off the cliff.

josh0987 said:
Oh sheesh Law, give it up, if this software isn't good enough for you, then leave. What you are doing is Trolling. G4 is out, so obviously KE will be making a EXPANSION PACK for it. NOT G3 - G3.5

Oh sheesh josh, what are you talking about? I haven't said anything about the software not being good enough. And, I didn't start this thread.

It might be obvious to a 15 year old that KE would only put out an Expansion Pack for the latest version of their software. But, it's not obvious to a great many that the latest Expansion Pack doesn't support the current versions being sold. That's the issue ... or did you miss that point? It has nothing to do with whether or not the software is "good enough".

opjose said:

I though you were holding out for the Add-on's patch.

At least for us lemmings, the view of the beach is nice on the way down off the cliff.

You must have me confused with someone else again ... I never said that I was waiting for the Add-ons. But, that's not a bad idea. Of course, if I did wait I'd probably be waiting for another couple of weeks or months.

Sigh... Put it this way.. If you were to have some kind of software you made and then after a while you make a newer better version.. Alongside with a special "upgrade" for that only, well obviously you just made the new software, so obviously you're going to make that upgrade just for it.

If it means so much to you, you'd upgrade to G4, save us the trolling and we can get on with our lives.

If G3 is still being sold, it's got to be only because it hasn't sold out yet. I highly doubt G3 is still being produced. (But it still works.)

Adam Taylor said:
The LHS here still sells G2. That doesn't mean any new add-ons or expansion packs will be made for it.

Good point. Those LHS must have a slow turnover to still have product on their shelves that's at least 4 years old ... ;)

The difference here is that G3.5 is still being actively marketed. It is still listed as a "current" product on the RealFlight website and the assumption by most consumers is that active and current products will receive support for any future Expansion Packs.

The lack of that support may cause some consumers who have just purchased G3.5 to be a bit miffed ... to say the least. Of course, those of us with G4.0 could care less. Isn't that right josh? :rolleyes:

What lack of support? Even G2 is still supported. If you were to buy a copy of G2, and had troubles with it, you call GP support (the same people you call for G3, G3.5, and G4) and they'll help you get it up and running. Would you say something new already? Or change your username to "echo" because that's all I hear from you.

Not to mention that you won't even be happy with G4 before G5 comes out, and so on, and so on. But they'll all still be supported.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
What lack of support? Even G2 is still supported. If you were to buy a copy of G2, and had troubles with it, you call GP support (the same people you call for G3, G3.5, and G4) and they'll help you get it up and running. Would you say something new already? Or change your username to "echo" because that's all I hear from you.

Not to mention that you won't even be happy with G4 before G5 comes out, and so on, and so on. But they'll all still be supported.

Ah com'on Jeff. You know and I know that I wasn't talking about tech support. Why does everyone try to turn this into something that it's not? I'm talking about G3.5 supporting (or not supporting) future Expansion Packs. It's what this thread is all about.
You know that. You're not stupid. Why try to turn it into something that it's not - oh - there you go making me repeat myself. :D I guess sometimes when people are being pig headed you have to repeat yourself ...

Back