f-18 CS ??

uncle twist

Happy new year all,Ive been working on this plane awhile now and was wondering how to get the gold around the canopy to match the on the fuse. After that I would like to make the plane a little more glossy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I`m running G5.5 and using GIMP.Thanks for all your past,present and future help.

Attachments

• LastScreenShot (600 x 345).jpg
    LastScreenShot (600 x 345).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It may. You probably know that I know nothing about colorschemes, but I'm sure those who do would need something like that to look at. Whenever I want to post a non-allowed file here, I'll slap a .rfx on the end of the file name. You have to turn on extensions (using Windows). Then the file is called 'mypicture.tga.rfx.' Then you can post it.

The difference in the two gold shades is probably due to the baked-in spectral settings of the individual materials. There is probably a higher gloss on the canopy area. The only way for you as a color schemer to over-ride that setting is to use a spectral map.

Jeff,Well,despite the fact that i`ve got 7 planes on he swaps, I still have lots to learn on gimp. I just know the basics so far.You probably know more about CS than I know how to use a computer.The rest of what you said about files is greek to me. I`ll ask the wife about that stuff :) .Thanks for your help. BTW good work on your modeling so far, looks GOOD.

Last edited:
That is a complicated undertaking, looking good so far.

It is hard to tell from your color .tga, but to Doug's point, look at the _s map to verify that there are two distinct canopy cutouts and that the grey on the nose area and the canopy frame areas of that _s.tga are the same shade. Also, just verify that you don't have any Alpha or partially opaque Alpha channel running over the canopy frame or arch.

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• test f18_s.jpg
    test f18_s.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 23
Hey Maj.,where did your post go.If you`re talking about a bucket fill on the background, that`s a no go.Your glossy Zlin screen shot looks great.stay tuned here,I would appreciate your input as well on how to achieve some of that gloss on this F-18.

Hey Mikey,good to see ya back,you were being missed around here.Flimans CS???,I could not find him as a member.This is the FA-18 Hornet Blue Angel EA by ViennL76,which you and Twoeleven had a hand in,according to the file.Good to see you back.

Doug/Twoeleven:Yes it has been ,thanks for the comp.There are two different grays on the s.tga,the canopy being the lighter of the two.I tried a sample of the darker on the canopy frame,no luck.I suspect what you`re saying about the canopy glass being one pc. on the s.tga is the problem.How do I access the alpfa layer to verify what you`re saying.If it is in fact one pc,can it be corrected and how?.Any pics. and maps ( ?? / ?? / ?? / ?? ) would help as I`m diving into the deep end when it comes to layers and navigating that part of GIMP. THANKS for all your help and patience.

thanks

I deleted my post
as I realized afterword that It was really Irrelevant to your question

In the case of the zlin
getting the right polished look is also dependent on the shade of gray that you use as the base color on the Classic .tga
below is an example of how I achieved that look

Glossiness has every thing to do with the shade of gray that you use on the _s.tga
just remember light gray is shiny ,
black is dull ....
the level of glossiness you desire just depends on were you fall in between

you'll also notice on the _s.tga example that I have masked out the graphics in black
if you do not do that your graphics will look washed out.....
also it makes it look more like paint or a decal
of course if you do want some gloss to them just use a darker gray rather than black

I wanted the blue on the tail to be slightly metallic looking but not washed out
so those ares are a darker gray than the base color , not black like on the graphics on the _S.tga.......
see how it works ???

just like on the classic .tga you want to build your _s.tga from layers taken from the .psd

I noticed on your _s.tga above that there are shaded areas from the weathering on the original CS
since those areas are black, they will be flat and not have the same level of glossiness as the rest of the plane .....................might look a little weird in the sim
unless of course if thats the look you're going for????
;)

Attachments

• Scregfhdfot.jpg
    Scregfhdfot.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8
  • yy.jpg
    yy.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot1294084093.jpg
    ScreenShot1294084093.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 20
  • cvhchc.jpg
    cvhchc.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I added the shading on the _s TGA Maj., as this was a weathered plane I didn't want the oil covered areas to shine like the clean blue paint. Some of that is 'baked' in shading, this gives some additional depth and reduces the cartoon look of all one color, all one reflectivity.

I was trying to do alot on this _s, changing the reflectivity of some of the panels, working the shadows in the dark corners, and messing with the reflectivity of the glass. :p

Twist, please post a picture of your _s.tga, and I am sure we can help out. :)

GIMP is what I use to see Alpha channel (it is free), because you can only do so much with the Alpha channel in PS Elements, which is what I use to create my CS's

Griff
twoeleven

Last edited:
thats why I said unless thats the look you're going for

as its a matter of opinion
In mine........
oil stains /exhaust soot are just fine on a active service warbirds

but as that type of Scheme is usually reserved for Airshow /PR aircraft
they are usually kept pretty spotless by the ground crew
often times they have just received a new paint job

but since its baked in there is nothing you could do anyhow and the way you went about it is just fine
when life hands you lemons make lemonaid :D

I also use Elements and the way it handles Alphas leaves Alot to be desired
so I use gimp for the Alphas as well

Last edited:
Twist, try this...

Save the attached file as "yourcolorschemename_s.tga" (the _s must be added to the exact name, and it must be saved into your cs file with the one you are working on) and see if that fixes the issue. If not, you may have some funky Alpha channel opacity issue which isn't too hard to fix. Try this first and see what happens. This is an unweathered base version of the same _s I posted above.

I can look at the Alpha if it doesn't work, just PM me your email and we can exchange the files.

Griff
twoeleven

Attachments

• FA18 Base S.jpg
    FA18 Base S.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 5
Thanks maj.,yes I do get what you`re saying,But when I make ANY changes on the s.tga while loaded in gimp then, (save/g5/aircraft/cs/f-18 by twist/create dds) no changes appear on the plane,still looks only satiny,no glossiness.Am I doing somthing wrong in save process?? THANKS. Twoeleven we were typing at the same time ,hope this helps.

TWIST

Attachments

• F-18 by TWIST_s.jpg
    F-18 by TWIST_s.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
uncle twist said:
.How do I access the alpfa layer to verify what you`re saying..
In gimp you open the layers /channels/paths pallet and click here to see the alpha channel :D
uncle twist said:
no changes appear on the plane,still looks only satiny,no glossiness.Am I doing somthing wrong in save process?? THANKS.
TWIST

you must "SAVE AS" the file as an _s.tga for example

if your CS is named ABC.tga
then "Save as" the file you want to be your _.s.tga
as ABC_s.tga

OR
your problem could be................
that you do not have RF set up correctly
in order to see the effect the _.s.tga or the _n.tga has on the model
you must have the RF graphics settings correct
the "Normal maps"
has to be set to "YES" its turned off (NO) by default..............other wise you will see no changes
if you had it on it may have gotten turned off if you have "restored defaults lately
...........double check

Attachments

• hgdhd.jpg
    hgdhd.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 10
  • rhdfh.jpg
    rhdfh.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ok,well this is screwed up.MY wife decided to hook up a new monitor while the computer was running :eek: :( :mad: after all was said and done ,I no longer have my custom content. I`m kinda pissed (deep breath) can you guys help? She was only trying to help ???? god bless her,I would`nt have gotten this far without her.

You shouldn't have lost your custom content from changing monitors, even if the computer was on?

Was the Sim running? Did the monitor have software that you installed?

Last edited:
OK,just wanted to let you guys know that everything appears to be back to normal. :) My new monitor is real nice (22"),and yes bigger is better.I want to thank ALL of you for all your help and info. give me some time to absorb/play with/experiment with what you`ve given me so far and I`ll let you guys know what I come up with.

TWIST

I`m back,so to all that mentioned the gray shades in the s._tga file you were right,and an extra kudos to the Major for the graphics pointer.It was in the default position.So now I have gloss and the colors around the canopy match.But not for a price,the blue now looks kind of hazy and the gold looks flat except when the sun shines on them, then they look great.Is there any way I can retain the colors (as shown in my first post),and keep the gloss.Or should I just go over my pixels one more time and throw this plane out the hounds.All opinions welcome.I hope these pics show what i`m talking about.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1294257670.jpg
    ScreenShot1294257670.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot1294261103.jpg
    ScreenShot1294261103.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot1294260727.jpg
    ScreenShot1294260727.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 21
  • ScreenShot1294259029.jpg
    ScreenShot1294259029.jpg