F-4J Phantom II

Fantastic

We are all holding our breath waiting to fly this bird. And add color schemes.

This is going to be great.

Griffindor said:
Does are you still working on it or is it done? (Everything)
Nope, still got some work to do. I'm in the process of setting up the linking and motion for all the movable parts. Then lastly will be the physics. I'd say two days till completion (maybe sooner for a prelim).

Not Ready For Prime Time

A lot of folks have contacted me or left posts in this thread about doing additional colorschemes for this aircraft. So here's a couple of pre-releases for the two models with texture mapped TGAs to get started with, as I don't foresee any changes being needed to the texture mapping.

I'm still working on the physics, so the actual models will be released in a day or two.

Doug

Attachments

• F-4B Phantom II_EA.RFX
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • F-4J Phantom II_EA.RFX
    1 MB · Views: 17
Isn't that something !!!

And he makes a J model too. We can't ask for more than that guys.

We all owe this man a big "Thank you" in this post.

These designers are something else. They give us planes we could never fly without them. Outstanding stuff. Outstanding features. Outstanding Color schemes.

Check out that outstanding Helldiver by "Willsonman", the "Always" fire bombers from "DirtyHarry3033" and "Pplace", even a Constellation by "Cowboy".

The list goes on and on.

You designers make this RF what it is.

Thank you

SweetWater said:
Something to chew on while waiting on Dhk for you guys. :)
I have no objection to people making AVs or CSs for my models, but please give them a different name so they don't overwrite the original files.

Besides it'll be good practice for when you go to put them on the swaps, because you'll have to then.

Doug

OK, here's something to play with. Initial physics are done and all the parts move. I still need to tweak a couple of flight characteristics, but overall it flies pretty well.

I also intend to add a couple of pilots and some cockpit details, but that won't effect any AVs or CSs that anyone starts working on.

Since I haven't written anything in the description yet here are the controls:

9 Channels used:

Aileron/Stabolator (3) - right stick
Flaps/slats - knob
Throttle - left stick
Rudder - left stick
Retracts - right front switch
Air-brake - left front switch
Brakes - 3-position switch (two stage)

EDIT updated EA posted below.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1215584001.jpg
    ScreenShot1215584001.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Power to weight ratio is more than ample to simulate afterburners. Aircraft is just shy of 17# and the JetCat P-120 that is replicated develops 28# of thrust. Go vertical :D

Crew Chief

I was a Plane Captain (USNavy=Crew Chief in USAF) on these from 1965-69 and if my memory serves me we had a few of these "J" birds on my last cruise aboard the Constellation with VF-143 Pukin' Dogs. There logo was a Griffon that looked like it was pukin. :D Our sister Squadron was the Ghost Riders-VF142.

WingDude said:
Dang Linky! Spell Check! Or get FireFox!
i was using my dads computer because i was too lasey to boot mine and his keyboard is very very screwed up i think it is just offset more than mine. and he uses I.E. I use fire fox 3

Doug,

I noticed when the left airbrake is deployed (down) that you are able to view right through the wing / gear bay. The right side is fine though.

Nice work so far.

Interesting :confused:

There is a well under that brake, but it's completely invisible in MAX. You can select it from the selection menu, but you don't even see selection lines.

EDIT: Would you believe that the brake well was an object of zero polys? I don't even know what I could have done to manage that one. More confused than ever, but it's fixed.

Last edited:
Here's an update EA. Still consider this a prelim as I'm only about 98% satisfied with the physics.

This fixes the error pplace noted above, adds pilots and some cockpit details, and has a few more tweaks to the physics.

EDIT: EA updated after a consult with an expert on this particular model (Thanks Katonka), and is now posted on the swaps.

Thanks for everyone's help & support.

Doug

Attachments

• Image66.jpg
    Image66.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Conversion to G3.5

I would really like to have this model in Realflight G3.5. If you send me the files needed I would be more than happy to do this. Please send me a PM if your interested and I'll send you my e-mail address. I would give you credit for everything or even let you post it once it's ready.

Thanks,

Strongmankb

I just added a "J" version to the swaps with a Black Bunny colorscheme. The F-4J was the aircraft model that was used both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds in the '70s. As such this plane is done with a gloss finish.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1215731497.jpg
    ScreenShot1215731497.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 36
Back