F-86 Sabre (Turbine) and Flaps?

p.delorenzo

Hi,

I played a bit with F-86 Sabre (Turbine). I was wondering: what the flaps are used for? I mean when, which flying phase, do u use them?

Why am I asking this?

Just try it:
it's easier to take off and land without flaps!
it's easier to do slow fly without flaps!
we can fly as low as 76km/h without flaps! (using flaps min speed is about 90km/h)

I was thinking flaps were used to enhance the slow speed flight of every plane...
not here it seems!

So, if there is anyone out there who could answer me I would be very glad.

Thx,

Pascal

Many RC planes that have flaps do not need them.

They just look cool!

On others the moving surface flaps are used.

These do not increase lift. Instead they are good for increasing drag.

Planes like the Spitfire and Yakolev use split flaps.

Since the original wing shape is retained, there is both a net increase in drag and an a small increase in lift.

Now that said, I like flaps on several planes I have, simply because they permit me to chop the throttle and the plane stops as if it hit a wall.

I've implemented "spoilerons" on my Bobcat pusher as well. Without them, the plane screams by the runway even though it is decending quickly.

With the spoilerons the max angle of attack increases so it is easier to get this plane down... although w/o brakes the thing takes almost 520 feet to slow down!

My Giles 202 could also use flaps ( I may implement flaperons on it... ) as at low idle it just seems to keep going, and going, and going... even though I've approached fairly slowly.

The Starfighter on the swap pages uses the flaps as spoilers.

IMHO they work better as flaps with a slight amount of elevator to compensate.

So basically if you don't feel you need them, then don't bother.

I personally feel a lot of the flaps on planes are just for looks and the "coolness" factor of having working flaps, they dont add a whole lot to the actual flying experience.

Real life RC plane flaps seem to have a far greater effect than in G4. I have a P-51 I added flaps to and they make quite a big difference on approach to help keep me slow and still not stalling.

There are certain models (G4) that the seem to work better on. All the planes I've created that have flaps, I would say 70% are affected (in a good way) by the flaps.

For example the F-82 with full flaps I can get that to just float by nice and slow. I can't remember off hand but I know one of my models the flaps seem to have no affect at all. (I believe the ones with split flaps are harder to achieve a "true" flap feeling")

This is only true when also setting up the wire frame to physically match the model (not just having visual split flaps) To achieve this you must add an additional wing surface below the main wing, and have that setup as your flap. G4 (and G3.5) have a hard time dealing with the added wing surface below the wing.

Either or......working or not........working flaps just add a touch of "cool" to any model. (The same goes for any additional operational components!!!)

p.delorenzo said:
Hi,

I played a bit with F-86 Sabre (Turbine). I was wondering: what the flaps are used for? I mean when, which flying phase, do u use them?

Why am I asking this?

Just try it:
it's easier to take off and land without flaps!
it's easier to do slow fly without flaps!
we can fly as low as 76km/h without flaps! (using flaps min speed is about 90km/h)

I was thinking flaps were used to enhance the slow speed flight of every plane...
not here it seems!

So, if there is anyone out there who could answer me I would be very glad.

Thx,

Pascal
In G3.5.065 There is an input to the Elevator that removes Half of its deflection when flaps are Lowered. Is that input still there in G4 ?

Bryce.

Actually flaps are USED all the time with scale jets. Not to just "look cool" but to land authentically.

Last edited:
Flaps are just fun for smaller models, they look cool and generate loads of fun.

Now about scale jets, they aren't there to "look cool" or "authentic", you actually need them, they help you take off quicker and slow down the plane for landings.
You can't tell me you can land a 38 pound turbine aircraft with no flaps without going off the runway can you? :)

SweetWater said:
Flaps are just fun for smaller models, they look cool and generate loads of fun.

Now about scale jets, they aren't there to "look cool" or "authentic", you actually need them, they help you take off quicker and slow down the plane for landings.
You can't tell me you can land a 38 pound turbine aircraft with no flaps without going off the runway can you? :)
I just said that, but it seems you did not understand the way I wrote it......

josh0987 said:
I just said that, but it seems you did not understand the way I wrote it......
Sorry, i didn't notice you have modified your post. You are completely right, except, flaps are used to land safely period, no authenticity needed. That is unless you've got a long landing strip. :D

Back