Finger tips or Thumbs on Joystick?

Pageplayer

Hi!
Just wondering what you guys prefer; Fingertips holding the side of the joysticks, or do you use tips of the thumb on the ends of the joystick?

I meet with an instructor and he advised holding the sticks between thumb and 1st finger, but boy does it feel awkward..

Discuss....

Chuck

Do whatever feels best to you.

I would say most ppl use the thumb/forefinger method, but as my title sez...

It is really personal preference. So do what ever feels "natural" to you. I personally use the tip my thumbs.

Yeah I'm another tip of my thumbs person.

My advise on it is... do what feels right to you there's tons of people on both sides.

Last edited:
I used to use my thumbs when controlling RC toys. When I got into the hobby I was instructed to hold the stick between the thumb and index finger. Since then I've sticked to that, but as already been said; do what feels right for you!

Do whatever feels best to you.

Pinch vs Thumb. (Ginger or Mary Ann) Hey why not try both? ;)
Pinch guys claim more precise control. Thumb guys claim precision, as well as comfort.
It seems there are Top, world class flyers, from both groups. There are also hybrid guys, who mix, and switch, back and forth.
I Googled this subject a while back.
Personally I have tried both. Arthur(ritis) helped make, That, decision for me. I prefer thumbs, for a couple of reasons:
1) I feel I can access my tx, switches and knobs, better, with my forefingers free.
2) I can get a better grip on my controller, which allows me to fly, standing, with or with out a "Strap", and hand launch/catch.
With the simulator, you can give both a legitimate chance. Just remember, at the field, you probably wont be seated.
They tend to "FROWN Upon It",:( when you drag your Lazy Boy out to the flight line. :confused: I KNOW, Really? :rolleyes:
Which brings up the next question Strap or Tray. I could see a tray as being better suited, for pinch.

Last edited:
Back