First post here... how do I make these fly in the sim?

Taildragger7

So I use RF9.5 and I have been CADding out airplanes for over a year now, and just had the genius idea to try and put them in the sim. Only problem is, how would I do that? If I have CAD models done in fusion 360 is there a way to put them into the sim? I also have experience editing aircraft, for example for an RC cub I was going to build I just modified the physics on a carbon cub to match mine.
Here's some renderings I made tonight of a friends profile Mamba design. Cheers!
1645848408721.png
1645848397564.png

If fusion 360 can export .FBX files and do the below operations

UVW mapping for paint
pivots
parent->child
naming parts

the attached naming conventions are guidelines in general some are required

if you have any question let us know we can try to answer.
just telling me I need FBX files is a big help. I will have to check out those links later when I have time.
Thank you ?

FBX Export Settings
The following settings should be set when exporting an FBX from 3ds Max:
  • Smoothing Groups
  • Units - Automatic (inches)
  • Version - 2014/2015
The following should definitely not be set:
  • TurboSmooth
  • Split per-vertex Normals
the plane's triangle limit is 135,000
each object's triangle count is capped and 65535

I inevitably forgot something in the previous posts. like mentioning the stuff above.

It sounds like you understand modeling and just need some pointers on the transferring to rf.

I`m just guessing BUT, I think it has something to do with your "color scheme" file, (aka texture file), is it, or should it be included within KEX file...???

in fusion 360, 3dsmax, blender, etc. you need a .tga applied to a material on the model. The .tga pointed to by the model (not a copy) and FBX need to be in the same folder for the import (the importer does not like looking around for files in other locations). exactly one <name>.tga excluding <name>_s and <name>_n extensions for specular and normal maps.

in fusion 360, 3dsmax, blender, etc. you need a .tga applied to a material on the model. The .tga pointed to by the model (not a copy) and FBX need to be in the same folder for the import (the importer does not like looking around for files in other locations). exactly one <name>.tga excluding <name>_s and <name>_n extensions for specular and normal maps.
ok, sounds simple enough. I will try again tomorrow.

If fusion 360 can export .FBX files and do the below operations

UVW mapping for paint
pivots
parent->child
naming parts

the attached naming conventions are guidelines in general some are required

if you have any question let us know we can try to answer.
Thank you for your post, Im having issues unwrapping and skinning my model so it wont import
Could you give any advice

Thank you for your post, Im having issues unwrapping and skinning my model so it wont import
Could you give any advice

What software are you using? What is error or crash? The two most common issues on not importing would be the files not in the same folder or bad smoothing groups. The way to test the smoothing groups is too uncheck the box for them during the export. The airplane will look terrible but it will import if that was the issue. The file not being in the same folder is an easier fix save that in the export folder, point the material to the tga in the export folder, then export the plane.

Not having the plane unwrapped should not cause an issue. Rf will take the most common rgb value from the tga and apply it to the whole material unless some other color is burned/baked on for some faces or a face is mapped.

Back