FIXED: RF8 HHE Tower Digital Download versions are available

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
People who purchased Tower Digital Download versions of the RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition or the Horizon Hobby Edition Add-On when they were first released were initially unable to download the correct version. I just learned that is fixed and all versions are now available.

If you are one of the affected users, please revisit the download link that was provided to you via email. The page has been updated and you will now be able to download the correct version of the software you purchased.

My understanding is that affected users all received correct, valid serial numbers despite the download being incorrect. Once you have the correct version of the software, use the serial number(s) issued at the time of purchase and you should be good to go!

The downloaded HH add-on seems to be working ok for me now. I haven't been officially notified it is available yet. I had to learn about it here! Maybe tomorrow.

Hi the tower hobbies website indicates its for the US only, can i download it Australia?

Unfortunately it's for the US only. You may have to wait until a local retailer has the add on disc.

If you do not have RF8 at all and are looking to upgrade, you may be able to purchase it from Steam.

Hi the tower hobbies website indicates its for the US only, can i download it Australia?

Pretty sure the US-only thing actually just refers to the free upgrade if you bought rf8 after 1 September 2018. I had no problem purchasing the download version in Australia and I’m sure I would not have had any problems ordering the disk either like I have with previous versions. I bought the download version of rf8 earlier this year from Tower no problems.

Pretty sure the US-only thing actually just refers to the free upgrade if you bought rf8 after 1 September 2018. I had no problem purchasing the download version in Australia and I’m sure I would not have had any problems ordering the disk either like I have with previous versions. I bought the download version of rf8 earlier this year from Tower no problems.

On the note from the Tower Digital Download version of the full software it states

Notes from our tech department:
* * * * * * * * * * N O T E * * * * * * * * * * *
* ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES *
* THIS PRODUCT IS NOT RETURNABLE OR REFUNDABLE. *
* ALL SALES ARE FINAL! *
* EMAIL ADDRESS IS REQUIRED TO PURCHASE. *

So it's only available for US customers at this time.

Might be able to get around it with a US based VPN but I don't think I'd risk it myself. I've gotten into some EU restricted places that way.

On the note from the Tower Digital Download version of the full software it states

Notes from our tech department:
* * * * * * * * * * N O T E * * * * * * * * * * *
* ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES *
* THIS PRODUCT IS NOT RETURNABLE OR REFUNDABLE. *
* ALL SALES ARE FINAL! *
* EMAIL ADDRESS IS REQUIRED TO PURCHASE. *

So it's only available for US customers at this time.

Might be a new policy because I bought the original RF8 Download version earlier this year no problems, and I am in Australia. I do seem to recall that the download version was not available within the EU at that time.

I was also able to purchase the HH upgrade addon download version late last month from Tower even though it had the same warning which I assumed was only for the free addon if you bought this prior to 1 Sept 2018. Maybe this Tower US-only download policy has now changed and/or is now being more strictly enforced? I guess it would be pretty easy to find out by actually ordering this. Tower CS is very good so if they are unable to ship (or download) orders you will not be charged for these imho.

RF8 (full and HH upgrade addon) is available from Steam and it is not restricted to the US. Of course the Steam HH addon can only be used with the Steam version of RF8. The HH addon is also available free for RF8 Steam purchases and is not US-only.

Since Steam is an international download-only store it's kinda funny that only the Tower download versions are US-only, lol!

There are no current US-only restrictions (except for maybe a few countries that Tower or HH will not ship to) with all RF8 Disk versions from Tower or HH so I think that this is a valid option outside the US. Of course many local hobby stores in this big old world carry these disk versions as well. Up to you to decide where to buy these from imho.

Personally I think it's best to buy the disk versions anyway since at least you always have a hard copy. Plus, if you have slow internet the full version can take forever to download and may require a few restarts.

I originally bought the RF8 download version from Tower earlier this year because I had just bought a new gaming laptop and it did not have a built-in DVR. In the meantime I have bought an inexpensive (~$20) USB DVR player/recorder because I've found it's handy to have for other apps. If I were to do it again I would have gone with the disk version.

Last edited:
Back