Flaperons on G3 Big Stick for Crow manuver

mondell

Hello,
Wanting to know if it is possible to add working flaperon to this type of model like a hangar 9 ultra stick to proform manuvers like the Crow and use them as air Brakes ?

Thanks,
Mondell

Yes, it is possible. I don't have a model sitting around that is setup like that, but I've done it before.

I have install'd the giant big stick model on g3 can you explain the how to as far as adding working flaps to this model?

Just add another input to the controlling channel that you want for the aileron/flap.

This "other" input will be the flap control input.

Last edited:
There is the E3D - Flap Mixing variant that has flaperons. You should be able to look into that to see how they work. The Big Stik doesn't have very big ailerons, so the mix is not very effective.

Here are step-by-step for doing it with the Big Stik that ships with Add-Ons 1. In its current form the Big Stik has 2 aileron servos, but they are connected to a single channel on the receiver [imagine using a y-harness]. We need to setup a second aileron channel to control the second servo. Once we've got that setup, we need to setup a mix to enable crow.

1. select and load the Big Stik
  2. click Aircraft | Edit Big Stik...
  3. browse to Software Radio | Output Channel 5
  4. copy the settings from Output Channel 1 to Output channel 5 [this is the same as setting up the 2nd aileron channel in a real TX]
    • set Output Channel 5 | Low Rates (%) to 75
    • set Output Channel 5 | Low Rates When | Activated When to Conditional Channel above or equal to value #1
    • set Output Channel 5 | Low Rates When | Conditional Channel to Input Channel 5
    • set Output Channel 5 | Input | Input Channel to Input Channel 1
  5. Make sure the ailerons still work in the editor window
  6. set Electronics | Right Aileron Servo to Receiver Channel 5
  7. Make sure the ailerons still work in the editor window

Now we have two aileron servos controlled by two independent channels, just like we want. Now we need to add the crow mix.

1. Right-click Software Radio | Output Channel 1 and choose Add Simple Input Feed
  2. set the Input Channel of the new Input to Input Channel 2
  3. set the Reverse property of the new Input as necessary
  4. set Input Feed When | Activated When to Conditional Channel above value #1
  5. set Input Feed When | Conditional Channel to Input Channel 7
  6. repeat the above steps for Output Channel 5
  7. verify that when the top-right switch is up the flap mixing is enabled and the directions are correct.
  8. verify that when the top-right switch is down the flap mixing is disabled.

Travis

Those are pretty detailed directions - seemms to work well on the ailerons. As an owner of a .60 sized UltraStick, I would like to use the crow feature on a plane with flaps. How do I go about adding flaps to a model? I'm guessing that I have to start by shortening the ailerons, but I haven't gotten into reprogramming these planes. Could someone give me details how to do it to the Big Stick? Thanks.

Thanks so much that was perfect I was able to able to apply these instruction and put programming into thr radio for not only Flap/Elev mixing i was also able up and down flaps on the 3 position switch by adding a input on ch. 1 and 5.
this has help me to understand adding inputs and mixing on the G3 Tx.

Thanks,
Mondell

Hello,

jeffpn hit the nail right on the head Is there any way split the aileron and add flaps to this model If so please let us know. Hey I appreciate all the help It make it a lot easier to learn all of this stuff when have good people out here helping.

Thanks,
Mondell

You can create additional control surface in the physics, but you cannot change the visuals of our existing aircraft. Instructions for creating a new control surface...

1. select and load the aircraft you want to edit
  2. click Aircraft | Edit <Aircraft>...
  3. click Airframe | Main Wing or locate the wing component you want to add a control surface to.
  4. right-click the wing component
  5. choose Add Control Surface
  6. modify the control surface parameters as needed.

Travis

Yes. The physics will act like there is a flap, but there is no flap in the visual mesh, so there is nothing to move.

Travis

You don't.

You can't.

You MUST create a whole new aircraft from scratch in 3D Studio, unless the author of an existing aircraft lets you have their 3D, 3Dstudio model files.

Thanks

I Appreciate everyones help with this project. Thanks to all the help I was able to set the big stick up identical to the ultra stick by adding physial servos and inputs it has everything landing flaps and the crow on the 3 pos switch, on the top right switch it has elev/ aileron mix opposite direction and on the knob it has elev/ aileron mix same direction. again thanks for the help. :D

Thanks,
Mondell

Back