Flying Boat

I was thinking wider too it looked a bit narrow after I got it done. Anyway here's a couple of pictures of a start to the cockpit. I went though two iterations of what I wanted before I settled on this one.

Attachments

• Flying Boat 20.jpg
    Flying Boat 20.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Flying Boat 21.jpg
    Flying Boat 21.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 9
A bit more work on the cockpit tonight here's a picture for you. The engine controls are patterned after a Short S.23 cockpit. I think I need to raise the cockpit floor a little which will also move up the bottom of the dashboard it seems a bit too far down. But I'm getting there.

Attachments

• Flying Boat 22.jpg
    Flying Boat 22.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 7
A bit more progress on the Flying Boat today. I raised the floor and everything in the cockpit some and then went back and raised the bottom of the dashboard and the top of the console where the engine controls are a bit more. Then I raised the seats up a little after that to get them where a picture I have of one of the Sunderland's look like. Now I need to go back and lower the top of the dashboard some I have it up a little more than it should be. So I'm getting close to having the cockpit finished. I'm starting to get excited about flying it I think at 200 inches it should fly really smooth. Ha.. No aerobatics with this guy. (yeah I know)

Thinking about the take-off run I'd like it to take some time to get airborne instead of looking like a RC plane jumping off the water so I may add some type of control on the engine to force it to take a while to get airborne. Maybe controlling engine power with airspeed. I guess I'll take a look at what legoman did for the f3f he did some type of engine control on it but I've never looked at it.

Well it looks like I'm alone here. I finished the cockpit and have a few tweaks to do before it's ready for mapping.

Well it looks like I'm alone here. I finished the cockpit and have a few tweaks to do before it's ready for mapping.
You`re never alone here Tech....;);):D Your plane is looking fantastic,....AND YES, It is classified as a flying boat, what the hell is a Sea Bus anyway WTF, I`ve never even heard of that term before....????

Last edited:
You`re never alone here Tech....;);):D Your plane is looking fantastic,....AND YES, It is classified as a flying boat, what the hell is a Sea Bus anyway WTF, I`ve never even heard of that term before....????

Thanks UT in the end I think it will be a fun plane to fly in RF-X, which is really what I'm targeting it for. Of course it will be good for RF-8 too I just want to fly a huge Flying Boat around Wright Island in RF-X, man that's a cool area. I haven't been feeling that good so I may take a day or two off and just chill. I'm just worn down.

Technoid the Flying Boat looks fantastic, great cockpit and canopy, your attention to detail is impeccable.
Really looking forward to flying this giant scale model in RF-X, but as UT say's, take your time, your health and wellbeing is more important.

Technoid the Flying Boat looks fantastic, great cockpit and canopy, your attention to detail is impeccable.
Really looking forward to flying this giant scale model in RF-X, but as UT say's, take your time, your health and wellbeing is more important.

Thanks. My problem is I get up and make some coffee and then get on the computer, then for something to do I start working on a plane. I haven't worked on anything yet this morning but I'm sitting here thinking about it. Arg.. I'm stuck in a loop..

Well I started working on the flying boat again and have done several things to it. It didn't have flaps so I added them and also added a few more controls to the cockpit. Then I increased the diameter of the engines and their housings by 5 percent and reworked the nose and tail of the fuselage. The engines might not be scale but they look more realistic than before and are good enough for my fantasy plane. So now I think it's ready to start mapping. But I might stop and create a temporary 200 inch version (it's 130 now) so I can try it out in RF-X and see what it looks like.

Flaps added to the Flying Boat, nice detail, and you reworked the nose and tail of the fuselage (looked okay to me. as it was) will be interesting to see your improvements.
Great work Technoid, now go easy on yourself and get some relaxation time.

I created a 200 inch wingspan version this morning and have been working on the physics. I have it flying (okay) but not perfect but the problem is when it spawns on the water it seems like it doesn't want to float. I checked and the collision mesh is wrapped around the fuselage okay and the wing struts and floats but it just doesn't want to float, does anyone have any ideas?

It is big and right now I'm using 4 OS FS-200S 4 Stroke engines with 20x8 props and I like the way it fly's with them, not a rocket but it fly's fine. It has a 75 mph top end and that's about where I wanted it to be. While it's flying it looks large and going at a reasonable speed. So right now the not wanting to float is the problem so I've been flying it off the Sod Farm field so I can tweak the physics. So if anyone has any ideas on the Not Floating part I'd sure like to hear it. I've checked all the normal stuff but I might be missing something. Argh !!

I created a 200 inch wingspan version this morning and have been working on the physics. I have it flying (okay) but not perfect but the problem is when it spawns on the water it seems like it doesn't want to float. I checked and the collision mesh is wrapped around the fuselage okay and the wing struts and floats but it just doesn't want to float, does anyone have any ideas?

It is big and right now I'm using 4 OS FS-200S 4 Stroke engines with 20x8 props and I like the way it fly's with them, not a rocket but it fly's fine. It has a 75 mph top end and that's about where I wanted it to be. While it's flying it looks large and going at a reasonable speed. So right now the not wanting to float is the problem so I've been flying it off the Sod Farm field so I can tweak the physics. So if anyone has any ideas on the Not Floating part I'd sure like to hear it. I've checked all the normal stuff but I might be missing something. Argh !!

If you want I can look in to it. but check the Displacement mod and flooded displacement. and make sure they are both 100

Does it sink on contact with the water, or does it explode/break apart on spawn,?
What is the 130 inch span like on water?

If you want I can look in to it. but check the Displacement mod and flooded displacement. and make sure they are both 100

Yeah both of them are 100%. What the deal is I'm using the Physics file from the Sunderland that I used the RF Resize Physics To function so this is physics that works on that plane. Of course I did have to go around and adjust the physics to match the all of the new parts sizes but that physics file worked with the Sunderland I borrowed it from. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the 3ds Max file, do you know of something in it that would cause the plane to sink. When the plane spawns it sinks in fairly quickly but it doesn't break apart it just noses down some. I wish RF would let something go deeper in the water because it only goes down some and noses in and then stops. I'd like to see if it would go completely under water if it could.

Does it sink on contact with the water, or does it explode/break apart on spawn,?
What is the 130 inch span like on water?

No it just sinks in some with the nose down, but RF won't let something go down that far so I don't know if it would keep going if it could. Now this physics is the same file from the Sunderland you told me about that I used the RF Resize Physics function to set it to 200% so I imported my plane with that physics and then adjusted all the sizes to match my plane. I'm wondering if there's something I did wrong in the 3ds Max file but I don't know what it is. I've done a few float planes and I don't remember this happening before.

Back