frame rate question

ddaniel13

Good evening, Can someone give me a basic Need to know on this topic?
I've been running RF8 on this laptop for a year or so, and It does pretty good.
I have no real complaints, It does glitch once in a while.
Don't have the means to get any High powered computer, nor the desire.

Whats the difference in
Graphics Frame rate and Physics frame rate?
My graphics runs anywhere from 28 to 60, it turns red at 30
Physics is always between 90 and 110
I usually fly the Flight School HD airport. Along with Mr Technoid's aircraft designs.

Any settings I need to change in Windows 10?

This Laptop has:
AMD A12-9720P processor 2.70GHz
with integrated Radeon R7 graphics

Thanks for any info

Dave

The graphics frame rate, as you no doubt realize, is the number of times the visuals are updated on your screen every second. More is better, to a point. Ideally you can maintain 60 FPS or better. It makes for a smoother experience.

That said, you can still use and enjoy the sim at lower framerates, and that is due largely to the fact that physics are calculated at their own rate regardless of the visuals. That's the physics framerate you asked about. So even if you're only getting 30 FPS visually, the physics fidelity remains high, ensuring the behavior you see is correct even if you're seeing it update a little less often.

If I were you, I would 1) fly at airports that allow for a higher framerate on my computer, and/or 2) look for graphics settings to tweak to bring the framerate up.

You mentioned you like flying at Flight School HD. It's a nice airport, but the HD part means it's a more demanding version of the regular Flight School airport. You will tend to get lower framerates at any of the HD airports than you will at other airports, though there may be exceptions.

The Simulation > Graphics... dialog gives you a slider that allows easy adjustment of the graphics quality. You can experiment with this to try to find a tradeoff between visual quality and visual performance that feels good to you. But the jump between those settings can be large. I suggest further fine-tuning things via the Simulation > Settings... dialog, under Graphics > Quality. (Moving the slider in the former dialog simply adjusts a combination of the settings in the latter.)

Back