G3 starts up then shuts whole system down?

ChrisK7

I have the latest version of G3, (410)
I have reinstalled it several times.
I have this system:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
1 Gig of RAM
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Sound Realtek AC'97 Audio
Graphics RADEON 9800 PRO
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
60 Gig hard drive 69% free

When the G3 starts up it will only run for a few moments and the screen goes black and shuts down.
I was getting some sort of error message from ATI Catalyst Control Center saying that the drivers were not responding.

I downloaded all the latest drivers and ATI Control Center and it is still shutting down.

It used to run for about 4 or 5 minutes before it shut down but now it won't even get to the flying field screen before it shuts down.

Any idea's???

It was working a few months ago with all the add-ons and G2 also.
I noticed it started to have this problem once in a while so I looked at the graphics card and noticed that the fan on the card was shot.
I just installed a new graphics card, (same one, Radeon 9800 Pro) and it is still acting up.

I have four fans in the case, and a new 450 watt power supply also.

It looks like you have a VERY low amount of memory (128MB as opposed to the minimum 256MB and the recommended 1GB). Try adding RAM to your system.

Still sounds like a graphics card hardware issue. Usually if it is a RealFlight problem you will recieve some sort of error message from windows about realflight. Since the screen just blanks out, it is most likely the video card saying it wont run anymore.

Oops :eek: my bad. I read your post carelessly and misplaced system RAM with VGA RAM. Again, my bad. Sorry.

I run the same video card and G3 works great with it. My system is a bit faster than yours though (P4 3.0GHz). You might want to check out your video card drivers. There is a newer version of drivers that just came out (5.9) that you can download from ATI. I get 48-80 fps with everything enabled in G3. and well over 100fps without clouds, smoke, and shadows.

Check to see that the fan on your CPU is running properly. I once had an issue where my machine was doing the same thing, and I come to find out the CPU was overheating, and shutting the system down. If it is a heat related issue it will shut down regardless if you run G3 or not---I thought I had better clarify my statement here.

I found out that if I removed one of my two sticks of 512 memory it runs fine.
It must be a bad RAM slot or mother board.
Maybe a bios problem?????

I did also find that the fan on the 9800 Pro card was bad. I replaced the card with a new one and updated all drivers.
Everything seems to be working now but I only have the single 512 stick of RAM in the system now.

switch the "bad" memory for the "good" one and see what that does. If it does not run it is probably the mother board. If it does run then it may be the "good" memory. If so then put the "good" chip back in the "bad" slot and see if it runs now. Sometimes reorienting them works a miracle. goodluck.

Airnut said:
Check to see that the fan on your CPU is running properly. I once had an issue where my machine was doing the same thing, and I come to find out the CPU was overheating, and shutting the system down. If it is a heat related issue it will shut down regardless if you run G3 or not---I thought I had better clarify my statement here.

Airnut, thank you very much for posting this!

I was having a similar problem: My laptop would run G3 fine for a while, then at seemingly random times and with no warning, the whole laptop would turn itself off. Click, darkness, silence. Just like that.

On the info in your post, I theorized it might be a heat problem. I elevated the laptop from the soft card table surface it was sitting on, and presto. No more shutdowns!

Excellent!

For the record, this is a January 2005 vintage Compaq Presario V2000 laptop with a 1.50GHz Pentium M processor, 478MB RAM and Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. It has WinXP SP 2 with all the latest driver updates.

There is NO good reason to think G3 should work at all. But it does. I get 25-30 frames per second.

I'm not complaining!

Thanks again.

Gunner said:
please could someone tell me where i'll find the frames per second
Display the NavGuides (under view menu). It's in the default list of items displayed, I think. You can also change what is displayed.

Back