G4 Compatibility Video Card List

ssrobzoom

Is there a video compatibility list for the G4? I have a AGP video slot and need to know which video card will work properly.

I just upgraded to a AGP ATI Radeon Sapphire X1950 Pro (for g4)
It is an amazing Video Card !
Runs my G4 Really Perfectly
Jeff

Dumb question...

How do I know what kind of "slot" my compter has for a video card? I've got a 2-3 yr old Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon 64 (Costco $800 machine).

Hellllp!

Curt :confused:

The best way would be to check your manual or open your case up and see if you have a port like this one, the one labeled AGP. You could have two of them but I highly doubt it being a Costco computer. If you do it allows you to run two graphics cards at one time, known as SLI for nVidia cards and Crossfire for ATI cards.

agp-or-pci-or-isa.jpg

Last edited:
WingsWest328 said:
The best way would be to check your manual or open your case up and see if you have a port like this one, the one labeled AGP. You could have two of them but I highly doubt it being a Costco computer. If you do it allows you to run two graphics cards at one time, known as SLI for nVidia cards and Crossfire for ATI cards.
Wow! I can't believe how well your motherboard is labeled!!! ;)

Wow! I can't believe how well your motherboard is labeled!!!

That's not mine. That is an old year 2k board I found on the net that was already labeled ;)

Mine is labeled better than that anyways :cool:

Cameron :D

2 slots would technically be PCI-E (pci express). Depending on the northbridge chipset, you can run either 2 nvidia or 2 ati cards.
Being 2-3 years old, I think it could either be PCI-E or AGP. If it's closer to 2 years, it's probably got a PCI-E slot instead of the AGP slot. Around 3 years, it might still be AGP but even then PCI-E was pretty much standard if I remember right.
It's been a while :p
-Eric

Cougar said:
I just upgraded to a AGP ATI Radeon Sapphire X1950 Pro (for g4)
It is an amazing Video Card !
Runs my G4 Really Perfectly
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I'm curious about drivers for this card... which do you use? Are you using the latest from ATI or those provided with the card?... or?

Curtster said:
How do I know what kind of "slot" my compter has for a video card? I've got a 2-3 yr old Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon 64 (Costco $800 machine).

Hellllp!

Curt :confused:
Not to confuse you any more but if you are contemplating an AGP graphics card upgrade you will also need to consider its power requirements. Many, perhaps most, of the higher end cards like the X1950Pro have dedicated power connections and often a power supply upgrade is also needed to provide the amperage required for proper operation.

Thanks guys

Thanks to everyone for the help. Trying to educate me on what is going on inside the box is a daunting task.

I know a couple of computer guys in the area... sounds like a phone call is in order!

Thanks again,
Curt

Wooo Hoooo!

Hey guys,

Thought I'd give an update. Went to the PC Club store near me, out the door with a $35 NVIDIA FX5200 video card (the only one that would run with my 250 watt power supply). Stuck it in, and IT WORKS! There are times when it is not quite as smooth as it probably ought to be, but for $35, I'll take it.

This ought to get me till it's time to buy a new computer anyways!

There ya have it. Now I've got to go crash some more helicopters..... :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone!

Curt

you can add the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT to the list of cards that work fine with G4

Will this computer run G4 ok?

This is my computer:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 3 GHz
1 gig Ram
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series Specs say takes up to 128MB
I believe the video card is on the motherboard
Video Memory Unknown - Not sure how to find this out
Plenty of HD space
DirectX9

Should I buy G4? will it run well on this hardware or should I buy an older version?

thoughts??

Thanks

I run my G3 on a similar system, and it runs, with no shadows, and details/quality must be set low. Without looking, I think the video card uses shared memory, which is not good for an application like RF. I'm not sure if G4 requires Directx 9 or 10, but it's listed on the requirements of the website.

nemo_uk said:
you can add the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT to the list of cards that work fine with G4

Just curious, I installed a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT several weeks ago and was wondering what the 8600 (M) means.

I am running an AGP GE Force 6600 GT 256mb and it runs really well.

Running an Asus P5GPL-X with a P4 3GHz and 1meg of ram. In photo field airports, it is fine but in the others it's a bit choppy.

I am almost sure if I added more memory, it should be fine with both sets of fields.

jeffpn said:
I run my G3 on a similar system, and it runs, with no shadows, and details/quality must be set low. Without looking, I think the video card uses shared memory, which is not good for an application like RF. I'm not sure if G4 requires Directx 9 or 10, but it's listed on the requirements of the website.

Knife Edge Web site says:

G4 - Minimum Recommended System: Some graphical features may be disabled. Aerodynamic Calculations will still be high quality.
* Windows* 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista®
* Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
* .512 MB RAM
* 3 GB Hard Drive Space
* 3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full Windows DirectX® 9 compliant (Pixel Shader 1.4 support)

Optimal System: For best graphical performance.
* Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
* 2 GB RAM
* 3D Accelerated Video with:
256 MB dedicated video memory
(Pixel Shader 2.0 support)

My System seems to meet minimums for G4 in all areas except Video: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 3 GHz, 1 gig Ram, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series , DirectX9

I believe my integrated graphics does use shared memory. My computer has a PCI Express Slot and the manual suggests that I use an ATI card.

Any suggestions/comments on inexpensive cards?

With my Hardware config if i put in a Graphics card I will surpass Mins but not meet Optimum - is there any way to predict what kind of performance I will get with G4? Any Demo of G4 to run?

I'm trying to decide if I should by G3.5 or G4 as my first RC Simulator. I like G3.5 just fine and the Demo runs reasonably well on my system but if G4 will run reasonably well with my system and a new graphics card I think I'd go for G4.

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:
I use an Nvidia 8600GS which does rather well with G3.5 (I'll have to wait til Christmas to answer your other question.) I have a feeling that AMD may be in with ATI for them to suggest an ATI video card. I think that you'll have alot of choices for a PCIe card. If I were you, I'd go to the store and tell the kid who works in the PC dept that you want a 3d card in the $xx price range. Tell him about the Pixel Shader 2.0 support. I think you'll do fine, if you want G4.

Back