G4 Saved my plane (Please Read)

Wingman57

You know, i have never ever had such bad luck with an airplane quite like this. My 30% Yak-54 is the smoothest flying airplane i have ever flown. Well when its not being repaired. What i mean is when i first got the plane i couldn't wait to get it in the air, but now im afraid to get near the runway with it. The first 2 engines that we had were a 45cc THOR gas engine well they didnt work. The egnition system went out on the first one and the second one just went junk. I now currently have a 50cc CRRC Pro gas engine in the plane. Best engine i ever had. Then after the engine problem we had problems with the elevator. I was using CIRRUS Servos and the 2 in the elevator worked swell intell the second flight. One went up higher than the other and when i came out of a dive, the plane snapped and almost went in. Well we changed the 2 elevator servos to CIRRUS Metal gear servos. But, one went up slower then the other just a bit. well we thought nothing of it and took it out for another flight all went well till the 2 flight again. came out of a dive and it snapped. Not as much but still enough to scare the heck out of a 12 year old kid. Well we had enough of these CIRRUS servos and switched to AIRTRONICS. The best servo i have ever used. Well, I went out flying about 2hrs ago and not all went well. The servos did there job like they were supposed to but, the engine was what we thought was running rich because we just changed the fuel mixture for the engine as it gets broken in. But as i was flying the sound kept getting worse and worse finally my dad said "Bring it in we gotta check that out". Well as i was bringing it in the engine quit. And me never bringing in a airplane with that much throw on the control components got a little freaked out and i overcontroled the plane it went into a roll and fliped the plane inverted. But thanks to my practice time on G4 and the best physics a RC symulator could have I recovered and landed. My dad was so impressed and my friend that was with was also. to make a long story short the plane was a little ways out on the runway and when we got closer it looked like the engine came out of place and was sitting at the bottom of the cowl. As we got even closer we saw that there was a HUGE scrape on the cowl. But it was no scrape. What we thought was the engine running rich was actually the propeller rubbing againts the cowl wich and come loose when some screws vibrated loose. The propeller was shot and the fiberglass cowl had a huge tear in it. So if it was for Realflight i dont think i would have a plane to be flying right now so knifeedge here is my thanks to you. :) :) :D

Attachments

• 080817075050.JPG
    080817075050.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 080817075014.JPG
    080817075014.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 080817075030.JPG
    080817075030.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Friggin fabulous story. Exactly why I bought into the sim software, I want to start flying and used to as a kid, but at 47 it's been years. I'm having so much fun with RealFlight that I now have conquered many of the issues I had when flying at a younger age. I've even tackled the heli's now, and was deathly afraid of those for fear that I'd destroy one within seconds. Now I've got an electric heli and ready to go gas on a plane. Just wanted to get up to speed and then I'll do it!

Simulator should be a must for all new RC aircraft newbies. I never flew an actual RC plane until 6 months of G4 sim use. I recently began flying my Calmato .40 with an O.S. 46 LA engine.
I only made one mistake so far. I cinged a 2" section of its monocoat with a heat gun on high trying to get out the wrinkles. Come to find out the the monocoat Kyosho uses is low temp..... iron only!. Wish I knew that prior.
Other than that, I've been through a galon of fuel and plane has taken off, flown and landed flawlessly every run with no damage what-so-ever!
All solo flights too! Everyone in my club keeps telling me, "It's not IF your going to crash, it's WHEN."
Well, maybe so, but with G4 under my belt, it will be a lot less crashes in the future!
My current project plane is a Hangar-9 P-51 D .60 Mustang ARF. I'm taking it as a slow build, with no rush.
Thanks Knife Edge Software!

J

g4 saved my plane too

i have a hobbico nextstar
i was doing a medium altitude inverted pass (i like to make planes do things that they "cant" do like making a nextstar hover and knifeedge better than the yaks and extras)
so i was doing a med altitude invertited pass and the plane, with the dihedral, wobbled and went from 75ft to 7.5 feet in very little time
but thanks to my g4 emergency training i used rudder and got the plane back right side up (but a good many hearts skipped a beat)

hazzah to g4
HAZZAH!!!!!!!! HAZZAH!!!!!!! HAZZAH!!!!!!!!

G4 saved my plane. The other day, the canopy of my Extreme Flight Extra 300 came off and took out the right horizontal stabilizer, and if it wasn't for practicing on realflight after those hard snaps when that part falls off, I probably would have snapped it in to the ground. So yay!

Warbird Flygirl said:
G4 saved my plane. The other day, the canopy of my Extreme Flight Extra 300 came off and took out the right horizontal stabilizer, and if it wasn't for practicing on realflight after those hard snaps when that part falls off, I probably would have snapped it in to the ground. So yay!
Hi there! Nice save! Seen you flying on NeedTapes server! Hope to see you out again!

J

tHIS IS TRUELY THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HEARD g4 BEInG USED AS A SIM not a game. Congates to you wingman. G4 also saved my plane. I just got a Thrust Vectored MiG-29 and I have been practicing deadstick landings and with the eurofighter Thrust Vectoring. So one day the battery al of a sudden quit and it went into a dive. I pulled up as hard as possible and the plane landed some what horizontally. If I didn't pull up, the plane would have been about 2 feet shorter so I really that G4 and the makers.

First of all i would say ditch the CRRC engine that you have,they are cheap rubbish and you get what you pay for when it comes to engines.I would suggest putting an MVVS 58 into it and you wont believe the power difference.I have an Extreme flight Yak 54 and had a DA50R in it for ages with not much luck as it was not providing enough power,then i bought an MVVS 58 Pro Sport which are about the same price as a DA 50R and the power difference is phenomenal.The 58 is such a smooth running engine and i have never had it die on me yet.The Ignition system is top notch with an automatic choke system if you want it.I have had my fair share of cheap engines over the years and one thing i have learned is it never pays to scrimp when buying an engine for your pride and joy.After all,you spend all your money on getting the plane together and if the engine isn't reliable it wont last very long.Its the same with radio gear,make sure you get the best you can afford because if one goes wrong it can be catastrophic.For a 50cc bird i would suggest getting JR 8511's on Ailerons and Elevators and a JR8711 on the rudder.Thats what i have on mine and they are fantastic servos.Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.Any way good luck with your plane and i hope it all works out for you.

Mark(inky00)England

When I originally got this product (G2) it was for the exclusive purpose of teaching me how to fly helis. As you know, heli's are WAY different than planes... and crashing them is expensive. So I got the sim to give me a head start.

Well, it's been a couple years and I'm now using G4 and still haven't gotten a heli... probably because I'm having SO much fun with G4 that at this point, I don't need it... heh.

But I also agree that if ANYONE is interested in getting into R/C model planes... they should consider RealFlight because in the long run, they'll save LOTS of dollars!

This is (G4) probably the best software I've ever purchased... at least neck and neck with Virtual Pool 3... LOL

harv said:
They are the same motor i think, but with different names.
Thats right,MVVS make Evolution Petrol engines and badge them as Evolution.They come from the same factory made by the same people.One thing i would say though is that the ignition on the MVVS is abit fancier with an automatic choke system built in and they run on a 3cell lipo too.The Evolution ignition is your standard 4.8v DA type ignition which is a little easier to set up.Which ever way you go i can guarantee you will be happy.They are both great little engines.

Back