General Question about RF 9.5 and the float plane models...

cwoolley

I have a Hobbyzone Carbon Cub s2 that I fly in 'real life'. The RF model flies quite similarly, but I've noticed that when landing in grass, it very seldom noses over, even if I get really sloppy with the landing. In real life, if I'm not careful, I nose over regularly, especially in longer grass and bumpier areas. I have some floats for my Cub that I haven't tried out yet, because I'm nervous to nose over in the middle of a lake... (or at the edge of a lake, for that matter.) Three Questions:
1. Are 'real' rc float planes as easy to land on a lake as they are in RF 9.5? In other words, if I am able to land all of the float planes that come with RF 9.5 on the water, what are my chances of being able to land my 'real' cub on floats? (I very seldom, if ever, nose over with any of the float planes when practicing in RF 9.5. In fact, the only time I've actually nosed over was when I was pushing the limits to see where they were.)
2. Has anyone designed a RF custom model for the Hobbyzone Carbon Cub with floats? I did a fairly extensive search and couldn't find one. If there isn't anyone already working on it, I'd like to put that in as a request. (Is this a good spot to make that request, or should I put it in the designer forum?)
3. Does anyone have any thoughts on which float plane (custom or included with RF 9.5) has the most accurate landing characteristics to real RC water landings?
TIA for any responses!
(FWIW: I am a pilot and I have my seaplane rating, so I've actually landed Pipers with floats on many lakes in Alaska. One of the absolutely coolest things you can do in this life! Flying RC planes can, at times, be almost as fun as the real thing...)
Chad ;-)

Chad,
I'm fairly new at the RC thing but also flew full-scale in AK (Merrill Field)(50 years ago).
I just flew the HobbyKing Albatross from grass in preparation for water ops. Looked pretty realistic to me.
I wonder if your Cub is a little nose heavy? I had nose-over problems with my two Cubs (2M Carbon and 1.3M Carbon) and found moving the CG back just a tad helped.
Gary (also a Chad)

Chad,
I'm fairly new at the RC thing but also flew full-scale in AK (Merrill Field)(50 years ago).
I just flew the HobbyKing Albatross from grass in preparation for water ops. Looked pretty realistic to me.
I wonder if your Cub is a little nose heavy? I had nose-over problems with my two Cubs (2M Carbon and 1.3M Carbon) and found moving the CG back just a tad helped.
Gary (also a Chad)
Thanks for the input Gary. I thought the same thing, however, the flight characteristics seem pretty good to me with the CG where it is (other than the nosing over on landing). I‘ve moved the battery back as far as I can. Are there other options to move the CG back, other than adding more weight? Does adding more weight decrease performance? Maybe I’ll try putting a bit of weight towards the back and see if that helps. Thanks again!

I have a Hobbyzone Carbon Cub s2 that I fly in 'real life'. The RF model flies quite similarly, but I've noticed that when landing in grass, it very seldom noses over, even if I get really sloppy with the landing. In real life, if I'm not careful, I nose over regularly, especially in longer grass and bumpier areas. I have some floats for my Cub that I haven't tried out yet, because I'm nervous to nose over in the middle of a lake... (or at the edge of a lake, for that matter.) Three Questions:
1. Are 'real' rc float planes as easy to land on a lake as they are in RF 9.5? In other words, if I am able to land all of the float planes that come with RF 9.5 on the water, what are my chances of being able to land my 'real' cub on floats? (I very seldom, if ever, nose over with any of the float planes when practicing in RF 9.5. In fact, the only time I've actually nosed over was when I was pushing the limits to see where they were.)
2. Has anyone designed a RF custom model for the Hobbyzone Carbon Cub with floats? I did a fairly extensive search and couldn't find one. If there isn't anyone already working on it, I'd like to put that in as a request. (Is this a good spot to make that request, or should I put it in the designer forum?)
3. Does anyone have any thoughts on which float plane (custom or included with RF 9.5) has the most accurate landing characteristics to real RC water landings?
TIA for any responses!
(FWIW: I am a pilot and I have my seaplane rating, so I've actually landed Pipers with floats on many lakes in Alaska. One of the absolutely coolest things you can do in this life! Flying RC planes can, at times, be almost as fun as the real thing...)
Chad ;-)

Where do I download the Carbon Cub S2 for Real Flight? I’m new to this and bought the plane before Christmas. Today, I bought the software.

Looking forward to the continued fun!

thanks

Back