Giant Slow Ultra Stick

Here's a picture of the e-Flite version I'm using as an example. Like always mine won't be a carbon copy. But I bought the EVO downloadable e-Flite version and liked it so well I wanted a large one. And I wanted to make my own instead of creating an AV to make it larger. Just something to do.

e-Flite Slow Ultra Stick.jpg

Take a look at these two picture and tell me which "fuselage" looks the best. There's not a lot of difference so look close.

The first picture is just a tad larger, which I thought might be a tiny bit too large, so I made it a tiny bit smaller in the second picture.

Giant Slow Ultra Stick 01.jpgGiant Slow Ultra Stick 02.jpg

Got a question for you guys. The motor in the Slow Stick has a 10 degrees downward angle, so what is that supposed to do. I think I know but I need some confirmation on it. (I don't have it modeled in yet)

Got a question for you guys. The motor in the Slow Stick has a 10 degrees downward angle, so what is that supposed to do. I think I know but I need some confirmation on it. (I don't have it modeled in yet)
that is usually due to high lift slow flyer wings to counter the climb and to make it more stable

Not for the amount of lift that the RW planes wings creates, especially in relation to its weight, which is practically nothing.
It'll be interesting to see how it works for my plane when I do the physics for it. I think I'm going to rough-in the plane and then do the physics before I finish it. Has anyone else bought the E-Flite downloadable version? It's just 3 bucks.

I used my Ultra Stick 1_1m as the starting point and since I couldn't find anything to use as a plan I saved the physics from the downloadable version and imported my Ultra Stick 1_1m using the physics from the downloadable version to get the wing, hstab, and vstab the right size. and placement There was a lot of trial imports changing the size and position each time until I got them right. Now I have a version that the parts are sized and placed at the right positions so I can rescale it to the larger size and start working on it from there.

I ran into something I don't understand so maybe one of you can explain it to me. When I first started this project I saved the "real" E-flite Slow Ultra Stick 1.2m physics from the downloadable version I purchased to use as the starting physics for the version I was creating (giant). I was thinking I would start with my E-flite Ultra Stick 1_1m to create the new plane. So what I did was modify the 3d model and then import it using the physics I saved from the real one to move and resize the parts until I got them to align. After that I expected my plane would fly "exactly" like the real plane because I was using the real planes physics. BUT it didn't work out that way, my new plane which the parts fit into the "real" physics didn't fly anything like the real version, which I didn't expect. It was way off so what's the deal, isn't the way it's supposed to work the visual plane fly's exactly like the physics tells it? Even if the visual plane is a box it fly's exactly like the physics tells it. So if you have any idea what I did wrong let me know. I've tried a bunch of stuff but it just doesn't fly like the real version.

I ran into something I don't understand so maybe one of you can explain it to me. When I first started this project I saved the "real" E-flite Slow Ultra Stick 1.2m physics from the downloadable version I purchased to use as the starting physics for the version I was creating (giant). I was thinking I would start with my E-flite Ultra Stick 1_1m to create the new plane. So what I did was modify the 3d model and then import it using the physics I saved from the real one to move and resize the parts until I got them to align. After that I expected my plane would fly "exactly" like the real plane because I was using the real planes physics. BUT it didn't work out that way, my new plane which the parts fit into the "real" physics didn't fly anything like the real version, which I didn't expect. It was way off so what's the deal, isn't the way it's supposed to work the visual plane fly's exactly like the physics tells it? Even if the visual plane is a box it fly's exactly like the physics tells it. So if you have any idea what I did wrong let me know. I've tried a bunch of stuff but it just doesn't fly like the real version.
i might be out in left field but i found that when transfering some physics long time ago ,but could it be the reciever that comes with the real RC plane ? i know not many like the reciever that comes with it and usually put their own in to fly it as they like . here is one you tube channel that mentions it

i might be out in left field but i found that when transfering some physics long time ago ,but could it be the reciever that comes with the real RC plane ? i know not many like the reciever that comes with it and usually put their own in to fly it as they like . here is one you tube channel that mentions it
Thanks Doug that's definitely a cool video. I guess what I took as gospel since the beginning isn't quite true. I guess I'll quit worrying about that part and just rework the physics when I get the plane resized. I'm about ready to do that but I wanted to talk about what happened to me with the physics before I scaled the plane up the 2 meters (78 inches).

Thanks Doug that's definitely a cool video. I guess what I took as gospel since the beginning isn't quite true. I guess I'll quit worrying about that part and just rework the physics when I get the plane resized. I'm about ready to do that but I wanted to talk about what happened to me with the physics before I scaled the plane up the 2 meters (78 inches).
if your like me and i am sure you are with the physics , i only used the settings that were suggested with the real RC planes as a starting point and quickly changed it to suit my flying style

This is just me throwing something out there to think about. This may or may not be true. When you scale something up in size the actual surfaces get larger but the one thing that doesn't change is the air molecules. They are still the same size so a larger version usually will fly differently from a smaller size version.

This is just me throwing something out there to think about. This may or may not be true. When you scale something up in size the actual surfaces get larger but the one thing that doesn't change is the air molecules. They are still the same size so a larger version usually will fly differently from a smaller size version.
I haven't resized the plane yet so right now it's at 1.2m. The only thing I've done is widened the wing to 1.2m and modified the vstab and hstab to fit the position of the download version of the E-flite Slow Ultra Stick 1.2m.

Here's a little more progress. I added the battery, esc, and receiver but they're not painted yet. But I did tweak the color scheme a little for this plane. I haven't scaled it up yet so it's still 1.2m. I'm going to do the gear different after watching that video Doug posted, it looks like they break off much too easy. They won't stick out like that after I finish with them.

Giant Slow Ultra Stick 04.jpg

you always have to do appropriate weight to the parts and get a wing loading to match the airplane to the size of the plane your going for , if this helps other wise it is a big floater

Back