Gimbal tips

jaybird

I just purchased the sim, there are aspects I like, one thing I find surprising... the InterLink DX controller gimbal tips are like some medieval torture device :) Was this really intended? Anything I can do to make them less, er, "prickly" ? I mean having a positive contact and all is good but sticking into your finger... :unsure:

I just purchased the sim, there are aspects I like, one thing I find surprising... the InterLink DX controller gimbal tips are like some medieval torture device :) Was this really intended? Anything I can do to make them less, er, "prickly" ? I mean having a positive contact and all is good but sticking into your finger... :unsure:
They are intended to be that way, real world radio sticks are this way. There is a very good reason for it, it keeps your fingers locked in on the tip of the stick if you are the person that uses thumbs only to control your aircraft. The last thing you want is your finger to slip off the tip of the stick at a crucial point in a maneuver. It can get expensive. You get used to it. You can buy different stick ends if you want something smoother. your local hobby shop, Hobby King, or Maybe Horizon even sells smoother ones. I prefer the positive contact myself since it won't slip.

Last edited:
They are intended to be that way, real world radio sticks are this way. There is a very good reason for it, it keeps your fingers locked in on the tip of the stick if you are the person that uses thumbs only to control your aircraft. The last thing you want is your finger to slip off the tip of the stick at a crucial point in a maneuver. It can get expensive. You get used to it. You can buy different stick ends if you want something smoother. your local hobby shop, Hobby King, or Maybe Horizon even sells smoother ones. I prefer the positive contact myself since it won't slip.

Thanks for the reply, once I buy a real transmitter and plane I can make the decision. It surely isn't keeping me from using the sim, I'm really enjoying it.

@jaybird RC controllers have generally the option to physically adjust the tension of the sticks, aka more and less hard to move around. Something to consider as more they are hard, more you potentially need to hold them tight.

Beware sticks must be not too smooth to avoid unwanted movements. Also hold the sticks gently in a cool way, no stress and relax your hands. Your fingers should get on after some practice, like a guitarist.

Of course, applies for normal handling the RC controller, not like Raquel with helis - look what she does after 2 minutes :)

Last edited:
They definitely are pointy, but it sounds to me like you might be pressing too hard. That can happen without you realizing it if you get a bit tense while flying.

At a trade show years ago I talked to somebody who worked at a printing business where he would set up a job and then have nothing else to do but wait for a long period of time while it ran. After that, he'd start another one, and have to wait again. He installed RealFlight and would fly for hours upon hours, every single day, day in and day out. He actually managed to wear the stick ends down to smooth nubs! (After all that time spent practicing he wasn't a bad pilot, either. ;))

I agree they are too sharp. I just received mine before Christmas. Maybe it’s the current batch. I put some hot melt glue on the tip.
Just a drop on each one. Much better now.

T

I agree they are too sharp. I just received mine before Christmas. Maybe it’s the current batch. I put some hot melt glue on the tip.
Just a drop on each one. Much better now.

T
They aren't too sharp. As mentioned before, they are that way for a reason. If and when you get out to the field to fly a real aircraft, you will not want your finger to slip off the stick. It has happened to people and control has been lost, and depending on what you're doing you can loose an expensive aircraft. You get used to the stick over time.

I disagree, I have been flying for years. Started in 1986.... yes I am an old man. I have had multiple radios through my flying years, most recently a DX7s and a NX 6 those sticks are not as sharp as my InterLink. I understand your concern about fingers slipping if the tip is too smooth, but I do think this recent batch of controllers may be sharper than previously?? Just my assumption.

Regardless thanks for your input and concern on slippage, it certainly is a valid concern.

A follow-up... since posting I purchased an Apprentice RTF kit, it comes with the DXS transmitter, and while the tips are of a similar design, they are much less "prickly" on the DXS. I much prefer the real thing :) Even so, this is a minor issue, the simulator is a great tool, making my first couple real flights a bit less er traumatic.

I disagree, I have been flying for years. Started in 1986.... yes I am an old man. I have had multiple radios through my flying years, most recently a DX7s and a NX 6 those sticks are not as sharp as my InterLink. I understand your concern about fingers slipping if the tip is too smooth, but I do think this recent batch of controllers may be sharper than previously?? Just my assumption.

Regardless thanks for your input and concern on slippage, it certainly is a valid concern.
I have been flying planes since 87 myself but almost exclusively Helicopters since 09. With 3D helicopters you want positive engagement with the sticks, and if you slip you will 100% crash every time. With airplanes, it is more lazy and there is often time to recover if you move off the stick for whatever reason, but on a Helicopter you don't have that luxury.

A follow-up... since posting I purchased an Apprentice RTF kit, it comes with the DXS transmitter, and while the tips are of a similar design, they are much less "prickly" on the DXS. I much prefer the real thing :) Even so, this is a minor issue, the simulator is a great tool, making my first couple real flights a bit less er traumatic.

I have used a Dremel tool w/ a metal brush end. Running it and briefly touching it onto the tips will help knock down the points while keeping them good looking. On my InterLink DX controller, the stick tips are actually tiny flats. I can see them reflect in a light. With the flats, they are not as prickly as a perfect pointed tip. My InterLink DX is one of the early ones.

Consider the learning curve aspect ; guitarist fingers get on with chords only at some point and progress, which takes some time and fingers to adapt (chords touch can be different as well).

Don't rush and implement workarounds if you feel that the sticks are too sharp. Be patient and practice first, many many hours. I had the same sharp feeling at the beginning but not anymore today (now with T18SZ).

Same goes with pilot instructors, they have to handle variety of devices,
master or slave, and we don't challenge these details as not a priority (Aviate, Navigate, Communicate).

Note: more parameters like sticks tension, flying style and aircraft value must be considered, especially for real
flyers.

Last edited:
Back