Gone for a few years....upgrade question.

JEFFRO503

Hey guys.....I originally bought the G3 software like 7 - 8yrs ago?? Back in 2008 -09 or so I bought the G5 upgrade for it and ran that on my old Windows XP computer up until a couple years ago.

Well.....I reinstalled G3 tonight and went to run the G5 upgrade CD....and my computer doesn't like it ( Won't let me get past putting the serial numbers in ). The older G3.....is actually working perfectly. The G5 upgrade is not.

I have the older interlink remote control , serial numbers for all my CD's ( like friggin' 12 of them! ).......how does a guy go about upgrading to RF7?

What's your advice anyways?

Anyone with G3 and wanting to upgrade to RF7 really should consider getting the full Interlink version again since it has been stated many times the Interlink Plus that came with G3 is no longer a supported product with KE and while it does work now, they do not guarantee that it will work in the future with updates to the software. Knife Edge doesn't test the G3 Interlink anymore or use it for development of RF7. You will be getting a much better interlink than the Old G3 unit anyways. Anyone with G4 and up just needs to get the Upgrade to the software as the Interlink is the same unit.

Users have reported here that the new version RF7 does work with the Interlink Plus controller. You must buy the Upgrade version of the software for approx $50. You do not need to install any prior versions. It is possible to copy the expansion packs to the new version without reinstalling, if they are currently installed.

The G5 version should also still work. 11posts in 7 years, stop posting so often. :)

Thanks guys. I guess I may just have to order up the R7 upgrade......and besides it looks like I'll have a lot more options if I do.

I don't think I really need a new interlink controller , as I almost all my flying is just 3D type stuff.....don't really need a bunch of extra channels and so forth. BUT.....then again it may not hurt to have a newer radio I guess.

12oclockhigh : If I buy the R7 upgrade .....I don't have to have any previous versions installed? How does it know that it's "upgrading" a previous version? I take it that's "IF" I keep using my old radio correct?

OH......and like i was saying.....the last few years I haven't flown at all and lost all my interest in the hobby really. Probably the main reason I didn't post here as much. hehe.

Any idea why the G5 upgrade CD i have wouldn't work? In the past when I installed it on my old computer....it checked to see if I had a previous version installed......and then it installed G5 as a whole other program....leaving G3 un-touched. I had a G3 and G5 icon on my desk and could play either one.

Realflight would even let me register either version last night. Since there is no support for either version....I don't think they have it open any longer so they won't accept the information.

AFAIK: NONE of the "upgrades" checked to see if you had a prior version installed.

You do have to provide the Interlink serial number and the new serial number received with the upgrade, but that's it.

You can install the "upgrade" DVD on any computer that does not have Realflight installed.

The interlink box is the key to get everything working... no interlink no workee. So you do not have to install a chain of previous versions. Just install RF7.

There is no reason that RF G5 did not work.. it is likely a drive issue... are you sure you have a DVD drive? or maybe the disk is somehow damaged.. call tech support for help with this. See blue bar at top of a forum page.

The interlink box is the key to get everything working... no interlink no workee. So you do not have to install a chain of previous versions. Just install RF7.

There is no reason that RF G5 did not work.. it is likely a drive issue... are you sure you have a DVD drive? or maybe the disk is somehow damaged.. call tech support for help with this. See blue bar at top of a forum page.

I actually contacted Knife edge through their support last night after I couldn't get it working. The CD is in perfect shape...not a scracth , dust....anything. And this new computer I just built is pretty powerfull.....with a Blu-ray burner and DVD burner as well. OC 2600k , Asus Sabertooth MB , 16GB ram , 2 X dual-x 7970's in CFX......she pushes the frame rates pretty good.

Hopefully Knife edge gets back to me.....but honestly I think I'll just buy the R7 upgrade and call it good. I'm just praying that my old G3 controller works....because if it doesn't....then I'll be out another $50.00 + I'll have to buy the whole new R7 retail with a radio I guess.

BTW....the older G3 interlink controller still works perfect for G3.....just hoping that R7 will let it work as well. Has there been any issues with older Realflight TX's not working with the newer version software?

Can you use Windows Explorer to view the disk... can you copy the contents of the disk to your hard drive...If so, you could then install from the copy. If you cannot copy the disk, then there is a physical problem with the disk. Does the install program even start? Have you verified the DVD drives work with other disks? I have had DOA equipment before.

I cannot answer your other questions as I have no personal knowledge of the answers.

As of right now your G3 interlink should work however, Jim has mentioned that they don't support it anymore and if they happen to push a update that breaks it, they will not fix it.

Use at your own risk.

Thanks guys for all your help. Even copying the disk to the drive didn't help or work. I have no idea what happened.....but the G5 disk will just not accept the older G3 radio.

No biggie though.....as I swung by the local hobby shop this evening and picked up the $46.00 R7 upgrade CD....installed it with my old radio and it works perfect. Just like my older G3 does......but for some reason G5 has a serious bug in it. I have read online about other people having similar issues as well. I read through a big thread on the subject and follwed step by step to try and get it to work....and nothing.

But like I was saying.....the RF7 works great with my old radio. If a newer update comes out and makes my old controller invalid.....I'll just go back to the previous version to get the radio working. I could have gotten by with my old G3 set up.....but I can't find any good 3D planes compared to what I can get with RF7. Kind of nice seeing some updated graphics and so forth anyways. STILL.....it bugs me that the old G5 worked very well on my old XP system , but for some reason Win 7 ultimate 64 didn't like it.

Go back to the G4 and G5 sections of the forum to research... but, I think that Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower Hobbies/Knife Edge did not allow the G3 controller to communicate with the software. I think they changed course with G6 & RF7. As others have mentioned... they have publicly stated that your controller is not supported, so enjoy while it works. The new box is good with the push button trims. Keep an eye out on e-bay or craigs for resales, if money is tight. (always is)

I agree with 12 o'clock, This software release came with a new piece of hardware that functions as the interlink. It is quite possible for an update to break the old controller since there is a possibility of KE working on this particular part of the software due to bugs being discovered, etc and they had no need to work on this particular part of RealFlight in previous versions. Going back to the previous version of the software will prohibit you from multi-player if you use it, as well as the software will continue to Hound you to update and you will not get the new content from the updates. Find yourself a interlink elite off of eBay or Craigslist.

Last edited:
G5 did support the InterLink Plus from G3. It's just G4 that did not.

JEFFRO503, it sounds like it's no longer a concern for you because you have RF7 and it is working, but there should be no reason G5 won't work for you. In case you still want to try getting it working, you should definitely contact RealFlight technical support (which is separate from us here at Knife Edge). They are excellent at helping with these sorts of problems.

As others have said, having previous versions installed is not a requirement for using an upgrade. Each upgrade is the exact same standalone software as in the full version; it is a software upgrade by virtue of it relying on the InterLink you own from a previous version.

Back