Got an error message - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

David1984

Hi,

We have just bought Flightgear Simulator G 4.5 version just the other day - got it brand new. We have run it on one of our computers. Everything went fine, and the Simulator Control Device (the one with the joysticks, haha) installed nicely too. The DirectX program also installed without any problems.

Then, of course, we open up the program for the first time, enter the serial numbers, and then......WE GET TWO ERROR MESSAGES !! And you can't get rid of them unless you use Task Manager and kill off the whole program. The two error messages just keep repeating over and over again - they alternate between:

Error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
File: .\DXEffect.cpp
Line: 896

...and....

Error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
File: .\DXEffect.cpp
Line: 836

What can I do??? I am stuck and I got NO idea what to do about it. (I'm from Australia by the way !!).

BTW, I have updated the program via the internet, and it installed some files, but aside from that, no difference at all.

This is our computer specs, if that is of any use:

System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2038MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
MFR: Intel Corporation
Version: 6.14.0010.4851 (English)
Date: 2/15/2008 11:54:16, 57344 bytes
CD-ROM (?:\) ATAPI DVD A DH20A3S (?)
Installed in: C:\Program Files\RealFlightG4
Free Disk Space (C:\): 207188 mb free
Launcher Version: 1.00.039
LauncherHelper Version: 1.00.322
RealFlight G4: 4.50.025

If anyone can help, I would REALLY appreciate it greatly.

Thankyou in advance,

Kind regards,
David

Email: Email

Last edited:
Yep, G4.5 does not work with Intel video cards, which are not designed to handle 3D apps like RF. A patch was done in the G4 program, but according to KE, will not be done for 4.5. This is due totoo much compromise in the software. If your discs are G4.0, update to the latest 4.0x update. It will work, but not well.

The Disks I got were for G4.5, not 4.0.

So what is my best options then?

Get a video card campatible (what kind, and how much would it cost?)

Or get version 4.0 (problem is I've actually purchased the G4.5 version, not the 4.0 version).

Thanks,
David

Do you have a desktop computer? If yes, read on. Do you have an AGP slot or a PCI-E slot? If yes, read on. Get an Nvidia x800xx card where x will vary in cost. If you stopped reading due to my instructions, get a new computer and give that one to the kids!

jeffpn said:
Get an Nvidia x800xx card where x will vary in cost.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean - is x800xx the actual code of the card, or do you mean that any Nvidia card in the "800" series would work?

So basically, I get the impression that any Nvidia video card would function with G4.5, correct?

Thanks,
David

The low end Nvidia cards have a tough time with RF. As for my Xs, The first x would be an 8 or a 9. The second set of Xs would be GT, GS, GTS, etc. But as long as the card type has an 8 where I show it, you'll be fine.

I have an NVidea GEForce 7300 series card ( $27 at NewEgg ! ! ! ) and it works just fine for me ! Not full blown 3D graphics, but hey at twenty seven dollars, I am NOT complaining !

40-50 fps on a 3D field, and better than that on Photofields !

Cheers, and good luck, Jim

Now jim, if you're gonna throw in fps of a card like yours, you need to clarify that you have most if not all of your graphics settings turned way down.

David1984 said:
....Would the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT card work too? :confused:

Did you understand Jeff's reply to you?

An Nvidia 8800 card is MUCH better than an Nvidia 8200 card.

Likewise an Nvidia 8800 card is MUCH better than an Nvidia 9500 card?

Get it?

The SECOND number ( e.g. x8xx ) designates the performance level of the chipset used.

The First number indicates the interface architecture...

So look for a higher second number for better performance.

opjose said:
Did you understand Jeff's reply to you?

Yes, I understood Jeff's quote.

Jeff and I have been conversing privately, so there's probably a few details missing in this thread.

I realize the differences between various series of Nvidia cards after Jeff explained them the other day.

I just quoted the 9500 GT because there is a financial limitation at the moment - so maybe in the future we will get a high-end card :p

Kind regards, and thanks for your comment !!

David

I Got the Error David got -advise please

I see where a updated video card is needed but I had the demo version working just fine ---is there a difference??? I would think if the demo worked the video card was handling everything ???? -advise please -thanks in advance

G4.5 is much more demanding of your video hardware.

If the Demo worked, it means G4 will most likely run fine on your hardware, but NOT G4.5.

I'm running RF4.5 and the video card is an NVIDIA 7500LE and it runs great as far as I can see. Maybe better performance from an x8xx card but if 9500 is better financially then it should work fine.

Ken

VK2TKW said:
I'm running RF4.5 and the video card is an NVIDIA 7500LE and it runs great as far as I can see. Maybe better performance from an x8xx card but if 9500 is better financially then it should work fine.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will certainly get the 9500 to begin with, but may still upgrade to the x800xx yet. I won't know until I try it !! :p Just a shame we don't live in the US, otherwise I could have gotten and 800 series one from Tigerdirect.com, like Jeff said. :mad: .....Oh, well [sigh]

Hi everyone,

YES!! I have fixed this problem. I ended up getting a Nvidia 9500 GT video card, and put it in the PC - my PC has PCI-e slot, so it was simply plug the video card in, and away you go. :p

Now, Realiflight G4.5 works without ANY hiccups at all, and can even go on multiplayer sessions over the internet with others without any hiccups either. I'm actually quite surprised, caz the quality is actually very good, especially considering it cost $120 AUD for the video card.

Kind regards,
David

Back