Graphics Cards Support

Patman

I know that most of you are tired of hearing about graphics cards and the lack of support for many, blah, blah, blah... But...

(Remember that the "butta's live next door to the "Yeahbut's" :D )

G3 supports my Matrox Parhelia (triple Screen), and G4 seems to not support it. Can it / will it be made to support it again? I know all about direct X 9, and floating point technology, yada, yada, yada... and it also seems that G4 is alot more robust with water and all.

I have about $2000 invested in my graphics get-up, as I am an engineer and do LOTS of CAD design, and such, so... Finally biting the bullet to upgrade my graphics arrangement is a tall order to chew on. I gotta get this thing running...

It would be great to know that their was just a small oversight within the programming implementation, and that a fix would be comming out soon... :rolleyes:

Thoughts??

-Patrick

Last edited:
We are interested in getting G4 to run on as many machine configurations as possible. We'll look into this Parhelia but I can't promise a fix at this point. What exactly is the problem?

Error creating Effect PropDisk

History:

With G3 in the past... At first the Parhelia wasn't supported...

A patch was released... Then I would only get that same error only when trying to fly Helicopters, but it would work fine with airplanes.

Another patch was released later...
Everything worked fine.

G4 comes out... I'm not sure if it's trying to start up in Helicopters, or if the error is universal. I just loaded it today for the first time... :eek:

-Patrick

I know why you are seeing this error and I can say that unfortunately there is nothing you can do at this point with the current version of G4. We will investigate this problem as priorities allow us but since that is a DX8 card, I'm afraid it will be pretty low on the list for now.

HP EVO NC 4000 laptop also supports an ATI RADEON IGP 350M graphic card that supports good graphic features for the laptop.That very much better.

Why not build a budget "gaming" rig for G4 and other non-business related tasks?
A cheaper socket 939 system with a 3400, 2gb of ram, and an 8800GT would be MORE than adequate and you could probably build the system for ~500-750 minus external accessories.
-Eric

for 4-600 you can get a Core 2 duo E6600, asus P5N mobo (SLI), 2GB ddr2 800 ram and a Geforce GT 8800 which would be a fantastic system, even for high end games like Crysis, and Unreal Tournament 3, as well as future G releases too. The graphics card is DX10 compatible so you should be set for a while. and if you want the 3rd/4th displays, get another GT 8800 card, the motherboard is SLI so it has 2 PCIe 16x slots, you can run up to 4 displays. that would put the system at around 750.

and the best part of it all.... the E6600 core 2 duo processor runs so cool you can buy a 20 dollar after market heatsink and overclock both cores by 600Mhz, from 2.4 to 3.0 Ghz, without it breaking a sweat (it can go up to 3.2 aircooled safely but 3.0 is most stable for long run.)

Last edited:
I've decided to try something... I didn't want to junk my Intel 3.2 GHz EE and IC7-Max 3 Mobo (AGP) for an SLI Rig. SLI is really nice, but I'm not quite ready... I just won an auction on Ebay for an ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT (Bad A$$ AGP video card). I also use a cheapo TV tuner on my triple head (that I would like to replace) so that I can watch TV sometimes. I've decided to donate one of my "3" screens to another machine (1.4 GHz) my daughters use (replace an old CRT). Someday I'd possibly like to build a media center machine in a shuttle case attached to a 45" LCD, where I can do some hard core "realflight" action on a big screen. I'm kinda taking a low cost gamble with the ATI card as I am not sure that it will support Direct X10. (Don't think so because of slot bandwidth). But it's plenty horsepower for Direct X9.0c and also 2.0 Pixel Shaders. I'll know in a couple of days when I test the FPS in RealFlight. Then I'll just sell the Matrox Parhelia on Ebay to recoup some $$. Maybe it's just time to upgrade. :( I usually only work on two screens at work anyways. The third screen is an unnecessary luxury, :D, and i also like my TV-Tuner... I'll know in a couple of days.

-Patrick

I totally agree with your thinking "DarkSide". There's many ways to skin the cat fairly cheap.... I get excited just thinking about it, cause I'm also a pc junkie... I'm just not quite ready to throw in the towel on a system that cost me $4000 when I built it. It was a "Dream Machine" at the time.... I just had a wild hair and had to make the relatively "Dumb Move" to scratch the itch. Never Again... :eek: But Man I love the real estate of 3 screens.

-Patrick

Back