Great Lakes Special

This is twice the size and weight of the original. I thought I'd put it here first and get any feedback. Many changes have been made technoid since the first version I sent you.

Hello.

May I please ask you a question? (And may be start some debate about airplane resizing)
Why do you doubled the weight of the model, if you resized it to twice its original size? Am I missing some point? If I got it right, then if you resize the model twice its original size, the new wing area will be four times bigger then original wing area and if the all parts are consistently doubled in size, their volume will be even eight times bigger. So in case that you use the same materials as original (with same specific weight), then weight of the model should be eight times bigger. Well, almost eight times, because you will certainly optimize the parts of construction in real world.
Maybe you are somehow counting with airfoil polars used for computing in te RealFlight. I think that probably the simulation engine is not using specific polars for different reynolds numbers. Anyway, if you double the size of MAC in real world, the Re will be doubled too and lift and drag coeficients will be better. It coud be interesting to know for what Re number the polars used in RF are measured/counted.

Please, do not get me wrong. I do not want to criticize, I try to understand.

This is why you have to cheat in the physics for realistic flying physics. Realflight does a excellent job replicating 1:1 RC aircraft physics but doesn't work well when people try to make the aircraft larger. You are correct about the wing area multiplying, and it is felt in the physics by making the model seem to float. It's overcome by reducing the amount of lift the lifting element makes.

I've learned from people who actually fly 1/3 and 1/2 scale aircraft that the weight is actually very light. A 1/2 scale WWI fighter weights 20-25lbs. This is a aircraft with a 11ft wingspan and gas motor. That is flying with a full fuel tank. We made some AV's that fly very similar but weight had to be increased slightly. I believe 40lbs was the heaviest model of the 1/2 scale Gotha bomber which is a huge aircraft but is a real flying model.

People who make aircraft half the weight of the full scale aircraft often make this mistake. They think of realflight as a full size aircraft simulator and it clearly isn't.

I did a repaint because I did not like the "Japanese navy flag" on the top of the wing.

OPPs.. Somehow I forgot to comment on this. Very nice I like it a lot! I was just collecting a few pictures of the Christen Eagle a few days ago.

thanks technoid , i finally got to finish my color scheme on the Great Lakes biplane , i am flying this float version and having lots of fun with it

Floats !!

Thanks for making us a water version.:) Now I can park at unpopulated islands and shores.
If you ever stop making new planes I'm gonna have withdrawal symptoms. I have the double size version flying great now to my liking with some tips from CSgill75. It has much less float and an appropriate stall speed. I guess I will work on a double size float version this weekend between real heli flying outside.

Last edited:
BrokeDad are you going to put the double sized float version on the swaps and also the color schemes, I would love to have them! THANKS
Ron

This is why you have to cheat in the physics for realistic flying physics. Realflight does a excellent job replicating 1:1 RC aircraft physics but doesn't work well when people try to make the aircraft larger. You are correct about the wing area multiplying, and it is felt in the physics by making the model seem to float. It's overcome by reducing the amount of lift the lifting element makes.

I've learned from people who actually fly 1/3 and 1/2 scale aircraft that the weight is actually very light. A 1/2 scale WWI fighter weights 20-25lbs. This is a aircraft with a 11ft wingspan and gas motor. That is flying with a full fuel tank. We made some AV's that fly very similar but weight had to be increased slightly. I believe 40lbs was the heaviest model of the 1/2 scale Gotha bomber which is a huge aircraft but is a real flying model.

People who make aircraft half the weight of the full scale aircraft often make this mistake. They think of realflight as a full size aircraft simulator and it clearly isn't.

I am sorry for asking you one more time, but are you sure about the Gotha bomber? I have only found this one (http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blog20160913blog20160913blog2016091350th-ora-ww1-rc-jamboree-best-show-gotha-bomber/) on internet somehow similar to one you mentioned, but this one is only quarter scale and its weight is more then 50 pounds. Don't you have some link or something to the one you mentioned please. It is very interesting to me because it looks like very light construction.

Thank you and have a nice day.

I am sorry for asking you one more time, but are you sure about the Gotha bomber? I have only found this one (http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blog20160913blog20160913blog2016091350th-ora-ww1-rc-jamboree-best-show-gotha-bomber/) on internet somehow similar to one you mentioned, but this one is only quarter scale and its weight is more then 50 pounds. Don't you have some link or something to the one you mentioned please. It is very interesting to me because it looks like very light construction.

Thank you and have a nice day.

The model in question wasn't from a article, it was from someone who has seen the actual model and spoke to the person who built it . It was not a kit, but completely scratch built so a 1 of 1. It is a very light weight balsa construction. A while back I worked with a guy who has several 1/3 to 1/2 scale WWI aircraft on getting his AV's into the simulator. By law a RC model has to weigh under 55lbs or it requires a special permit. He said his model was 50lbs so that is what we went with.

Last edited:
BrokeDad are you going to put the double sized float version on the swaps and also the color schemes, I would love to have them! THANKS
Ron

Here is the variant (attached). The color schemes I did were just plain solid colors (lame). I used some of csgill75's tips on this one.

Enjoy..

Attachments

• Great Lakes Special Float Large_AV.RFX
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
First Crash in a long time

I had a interesting experience with the Great Lakes Float plane. It's the Large version that is here. It may be my fault, I did make a change to the airfoil on the float but never had this happen before. I had to reset to factory defaults. look at the speed of that bad boy just sitting there!!!!

The Navguides are showing some really crazy numbers.

Attachments

• 2017-04-10.jpg
    2017-04-10.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
WOW !! A new reverse speed record !! That's a good one to try to figure out. And everyone tweak away and make changes to your liking.

Back