Great Planes Revolver 70" (larger model)

mschulz531

I've searched the forums and the swap pages, but I don't see the Great Planes Revolver 70" anywhere. Does anyone know if a model exists, or if not, who might create one? Everything I've read about the larger revolver says that it flies much differently than the smaller one. I'm considering purchasing the larger Revolver, but I'd love to fly it on G4.5 first.
-Mike

The smaller Revolver already exists, so it is not difficult to scale the existing plane up.

The scalling is within the 200% range so there is no problem doing so.

scaling up the Revolver

Being a newbie at the whole modeling thing (read: I've never done it) I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm guessing there is probably an entire forum related to the modeling side of RealFlight?
Anyone want to give me a few links?
Anyone want to scale up the plane?
Will scaling up the plane result in a plane that flies like the bigger one?
What things would be important to consider when "scaling up" a model like this?

Last edited:
OK - I'll give it a try!

Maj. Numbskully,
Given that I design and develop computer applications in the business environment by day, I figure I can probably figure out how to use these tools to scale up the Revolver 59 to the Revolver 70...maybe even experiment with a four stroke engine on the bigger one. Thanks for the direction and encouragement...now I just need to find the time!
Regards,
Mike

The aircraft editor is pretty easy to use
make sure that you have a check mark next to "Display Advanced Properties" under options in the editors tool bar

The best way to see what you are doing is to use the "wireframe" option under "View"

The best way to learn is to dive right in! (No pun intended)
You will be forced to change the name of any stock model (creating an AV) that you are editing ....there fore you can't mess any thing up :D
If you plan to edit an EA or AV from the swap page” Save As" and rename it FIRST :D

You'll be amazed at how many things there are available for you to add to...
or to change parameters on existing components when editing an existing aircraft

Keep in mind that you will NOT SEE any added components (like spoilers or a different 4-stroke engine for example) in the sim..... although they will alter the aircrafts physics in the sim and be completely functional you won't SEE them operate :D
FYI.....
The only things that will change how the aircraft "looks" are
the Color Scheme, Props, Heli Blades and Tail Rotors or "engine to show"
HAVE FUN! :D

Last edited:
It is well worth the effort to read through the links he gave and give it a try yourself.

You'll learn a lot about aerodynamics, RC aircraft, and Realflight.

After that you'll join the ranks of the ...

"oh, that seems off a bit, let me give it a quick tweak!" types...

How to model and import new engines

I couldn't find a 90 sized four stroke engine anywhere...I was able to expand the standard Revolver, but I'd really like to put the same engine in the model that I'm planning to put in my Revolver 70...a Magnum .91 four stroke. I couldn't even find an OS 90 four stroke to select...I ended up putting an OS 1.20 four stroke into my experiment.
Any guidance on how to find/create new engines?
Thanks for all the help so far.
-Mike

Revolver 70 (experimental) ready to try

I've uploaded the Revolver 70 that I made from the stock Revolver 59.
If anyone has a chance to look at it, I'd appreciate any feedback...how does it fly? does it seem to be accurate? I'll put a .91 on it as soon as I figure out how to do that. For now, it has the OS 1.20.

You are limited to the engines that it shows on the engine list

If You can find the specs for the .91 you're planning to use

You can edit the 1.2's weight and torque curve to more closely match that of a .91

EDIT:
I see at the swap page you found a .90
you can even edit it to more closely match yer .91 :D

Last edited:
Has anyone created a "new" version of the Revolver WITHOUT using the Exp. Pack #4, as I am really not interested in BUYING the whole friggin' exp. pack for ONE plane, the Revolver 70"?

Thank you in advance.

Don

We're generally not interested in wasting time modeling something that's already available. You're asking somebody to invest anywhere from 50-200 hours to model something in their free time because you don't want to spend $30. How much is your time worth? Personally, I'd be more inclined just to buy you the Expansion Pack. (But that's not likely to happen, either.) That's a hard sale for you.

Last edited:
Has anyone created a "new" version of the Revolver WITHOUT using the Exp. Pack #4, as I am really not interested in BUYING the whole friggin' exp. pack for ONE plane, the Revolver 70"?

Thank you in advance.

Don

Of course you don't get just one plane in the Expansion Pack.

Those who purchase the packs tend to find them well worth the expense.

I've purchased a few real world planes after "discovering" the RF planes in the packs.... which flew identically btw.

Back