Gyro gain input configuration

amstel78

Hello all. I recently upgraded to RF6 and am trying to configure a helicopter gyro for one of my custom models. My aim is to either assign gyro gain to CH.8 so that when idle up 1 or 2 is activated, the gyro goes from rate mode to heading hold. Or, the other option is to simply assign the gain input to CH.5 so that I can switch back and forth from rate to heading hold.

I've tried assigning to CH. 5 by adding a complex input to the software radio CH. 5 output then assigning the gyro's gain input to CH.5 but nothing seems to happen.

Grateful for any help you can provide.

Well, I'm one step closer but the resulting effect is not what I intended.

What I did was added a servo and assigned it to CH.5, then switched the gain input on the gyro to my new servo which I called HH Gyro Control.

What happens now when I toggle the switch for CH.5 is that the heli will go from HH to dampening mode or vice versa. The dampening mode to me seems to be just a twitchier version of HH as the tail will not properly weathervane with the helicopter.

What do I need to do now? I can't think of any other parameters to adjust at this point...

P.S. forgot to say earlier that RF G5.5 works just fine with the HH setup using CH.5 that I described above. Furthermore, the gyro in rate mode acts like it should. The gyro options in G5.5 are also much better than what's available under the advanced menu in RF 6.5. I like the graphics and physics updates with 6.5 but I'm not happy with the new gyro setup.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's unfortunate that the programmers have ignored rate mode in the gyro. There are still times when I prefer to fly in rate mode rather than HH. I hope that this is something they can bring back in a future update. As it stands now, I'm very glad that I didn't uninstall G5.5 ater upgrading to 6.5.

It is not the programmers... it is the helicopter modelers.... you can set it up yourself by editing the helicopter yourself... I have given you an example to follow. It is available to you right now. If there was a demand, it would be filled, there is not a demand, do ya get what is popular.

I've tried setting up the model to no avail, plus I do recall reading that the programmers changed the gyro programming. In fact, some of the options for tuning a gyro that were available in prior releases are no longer present in version 6.

I looked at the model you linked too and have matched the their gyro settings and the effect is still the same. The gyro simply won't behave like one in rate mode.

Yup, as 12oclock said, it is not difficult to assign the gain to a switch or knowb exactly as you've described.

Most of the modelers do not do this, nor most of the included helis, but there are one or three examples on the swap pages where the gain is controlled by the Interlink... effectively letting you switch from HH to Rate Gain while flying.

I guess I'm just not seeing it.

I've assigned the gyro gain to a switch. Channel 5 to be exact. That is not the problem. Maybe it's me being dense but doing the above only gets the gyro to operate in dampening mode and not true rate mode. When flying in dampening mode, the tail on a helicopter will not "weathervane" like it should in real life. It still flies like it's in HH mode except slightly twitchier with more slop.

Is there something I'm missing then - like a hidden command or menu for the gyro? I looked at the model 12o'clock linked too and my gyro is setup the same way but does not behave like it should.

Which heli?

I have several physics projects in the queue at the moment, but I might be able to set one up for you.

I would tend to use the dial (channel 6) gain control rather than the dual rates (channel 5) switch for this purpose. That switch is already heavily tied to the aircraft...you would have to do a lot of editing to disable dual rates, and why would you want to? Most helis, in this sim, do not use the gain control (or use it to drop the canopy) to do anything. Just study the existing rate/HH programming of the heli that I pointed out. It is not that difficult... follow what has been done before. I only know of one heli with rate mode... Jose, can you tell me what others have it.

Remember the rate or HH gain is not an On/Off value...

Last edited:
Which heli?

I have several physics projects in the queue at the moment, but I might be able to set one up for you.

I'm using the Raptor 30 from one of the add-on packs as that's what I fly in real life.

I would tend to use the dial (channel 6) gain control rather than the dual rates (channel 5) switch for this purpose. That switch is already heavily tied to the aircraft...you would have to do a lot of editing to disable dual rates, and why would you want to? Most helis, in this sim, do not use the gain control (or use it to drop the canopy) to do anything. Just study the existing rate/HH programming of the heli that I pointed out. It is not that difficult... follow what has been done before. I only know of one heli with rate mode... Jose, can you tell me what others have it.

Remember the rate or HH gain is not an On/Off value...

I'll try mapping to channel 6 and see what happens. FWIW, I have my Aurora 9 configured as such that when I toggle a switch, it will change my gyro from rate to HH mode. I was trying to duplicate that function in Real Flight 6.5. I was able to do it correctly in G5.5 without problem which is why I'm puzzled that 6.5 is giving me such a hard time with something that should be rather simple.

Last edited:
Gyros have changed significantly in 6.x You removed all the if statements that controlled the dual rates of the helicopter in G5.x? I very well know how gyro switching is setup in the real world.. have done it many many times... you just can't pick a channel that is already significantly programmed and turn it into something else without removing all the code related to the original task and creating some sort of replacement.

Again, I question the demand for what you request.... nobody I know flies rate mode and most of them don't know what you are talking about. That horse is about dead.

With the model I'm using (Raptor 30), the dual rate channel is unused. As I said before, it worked fine in G5.5.

With regards to demand, I don't know why you're so hung up on this. This was an easily accesible feature in G5.5... not so anymore with version 6 and higher. I realize that the programmers have changed the gyro configuration to perhaps more closely match what people are doing today, but that still doesn't mean they should ignore folks like me and take away features.

I still fly in rate mode 50% of the time in real life. Most of the scale flyers that I know use rate mode as well. We're not all 3D pilots you know. All I'm trying to do is figure out how to get RF6 to do what it used to do before. Why is this a problem?

I loaded the aircraft you mention, look at the Software Radio Category - channels 1,2 and 4... they have low rate settings, so channel 5 is currently being used.

With the model I'm using (Raptor 30), the dual rate channel is unused. As I said before, it worked fine in G5.5.

If you must ask, I consider people flying rate mode to be lazy on the tail. I am flying a helicopter not an airplane, I want to fly it as such, and that means controlling the tail. You don't have to be flying 3D to use HH mode. I almost never fly w/RM and don't know many that do. You are making this an argument, I don't intend it to be that way. In 5.5 you had to create your own RM heli AVs, same here in 6.5. It has not changed. The "programmers" have not taken away anything, again it is the modeler not the programmer though you might find it hard to distinguish the two, they are two different entities. The heli needs to be updated to work with G6.5, Jose has offered, I am sure he will deliver an aircraft meeting your needs. ................... Why is that a problem?
With regards to demand, I don't know why you're so hung up on this. This was an easily accesible (sp) feature in G5.5... not so anymore with version 6 and higher. I realize that the programmers have changed the gyro configuration to perhaps more closely match what people are doing today, but that still doesn't mean they should ignore folks like me and take away features.

I still fly in rate mode 50% of the time in real life. Most of the scale flyers that I know use rate mode as well. We're not all 3D pilots you know. All I'm trying to do is figure out how to get RF6 to do what it used to do before. Why is this a problem?

Last edited:
I loaded the aircraft you mention, look at the Software Radio Category - channels 1,2 and 4... they have low rate settings, so channel 5 is currently being used.

If you must ask, I consider people flying rate mode to be lazy on the tail. I am flying a helicopter not an airplane, I want to fly it as such, and that means controlling the tail. You don't have to be flying 3D to use HH mode. I almost never fly w/RM and don't know many that do. You are making this an argument, I don't intend it to be that way. In 5.5 you had to create your own RM heli AVs, same here in 6.5. It has not changed. The "programmers" have not taken away anything, again it is the modeler not the programmer though you might find it hard to distinguish the two, they are two different entities. The heli needs to be updated to work with G6.5, Jose has offered, I am sure he will deliver an aircraft meeting your needs. ................... Why is that a problem?

Well, our opinions are certainly going to differ on the matter. When I first started flying RC helicopters, there was no HH mode gyros. Learning to fly and subsequently continuing to fly in rate mode can be as challenging or even more so than with HH mode. It's true, with HH mode the pilot would constantly need to provide yaw input, but the same is true for rate mode. Just because the helicopter's tail would tend to weathervane does not mean no tail input is required. In fact, more attention to the tail is required upon take-offs and landings when in rate mode.

Anyway, I don't wish to argue with you. I came on to this forum asking for some help and I appreciate the input you and others have provided. Perhaps I'm not understanding the whole process of getting rate mode to work in 6.5 so I'll spend more time looking and comparing the models I have.

P.S. Would it be beneficial if I uploaded the helicopter archive for the Raptor 30 from both G5.5 and 6.5 so that you can see for yourself how I have it setup?

Im new on here and have exactly the same problem as Amstel78. I have tried every combination I can and still no joy. I also like the choice of gain control, it should work so why does'nt it? I forgot to mention that everything worked with Phoenix.

Back