H9 P-51 150

dhempy

Good Evening All:

I am looking to model the Hangar 9 150 P-51 Mustang (aerodynamics ... colors can come later). I've done some searching and cannot find any existing renderings so I'm thinking I will try my own. The p-51 in G5 appears to be based on the Top Flight version. Am I correct in assuming that starting with this model and making changes via the editor would be the best path?

From what I've seen and been told by others, the TF P-51 does not realistically emulate the way the H9 P-51 flies. First, flaps do not have a big enough effect and the plane has a tendency to float on landing. Second, I need to model in a higher amount of torque effect on take off. Since these are the things I am concentrating on, I'd like to get the sim to more closely approximate how the H9 flies. I do have a couple of folks that have actually flown this model and they will be helping me get it correct. meanwhile, I will be RTFM on the editor.

Any guidance that can be provided will be most welcome. I'm not asking for someone to do the work as I'd like the experience, but I also know that getting some help early on from those that have been there / done that ... will accelerate the learning curve (ughh .. I lived in the corporate world too long :rolleyes: )

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks ... I've seen that one but it is for the .60 sized bird, not the 1.50 and I'm thinking that it may be better to start with something that is closer in size.

Comments?

Dan

Follow the instructions for taking pictures of your plane (as shown in the discussion thread) and I'll take a look. My initial guess is only the scale will change.

Doug

dhk79 said:
Follow the instructions for taking pictures of your plane (as shown in the discussion thread) and I'll take a look. My initial guess is only the scale will change.

Doug
Hey!! Aren't you supposed to be on vacation?!?! ;) :D

LOL, I never said exactly when I'd do it. I just have my laptop with me, and so do not have any of the P-51 source files anyway. The soonest I'd even be able to look is this next weekend.

Been out of the country for a while ... thanks for the responses.

Tough to take pics of an un-assembled plane and have it be meaningful. I did however, take measurements of the individual parts and I've edited the larger P-51 down to size. So I am sure that there are other tweaks I need as it doesn't seem to fly correctly. I am having trouble getting a motor that is close to what I want in terms of weight and displacement. After speaking with Tech support ... what you see is what you get with engines. I'll be posting another thread on that subject. I will try try to get this vedrsion up on the swap pages for comments (if you are all still willing :) !)

Thanks.

Dan

You can edit the engine to match the specs of the real engine. Just look for specs on the manufacturer's website.

"what you see is what you get" is not really true ...you can edit any existing engines weight, torque curve etc.in the Aircraft editor to match your 1.5

I have the curves for a Saito 150 modeled, if that will do. Download a copy of my Decathlon if you want to use it, I'm pretty sure that's the engine that bird uses. If not I'll have to check and see which other planes have that engine.

Actually I was going to try and fit an Evolution 40GX into this bird. I know that many guys run the Saito 220 and that would also be interesting to model.

I will try to find out where to do the engine edits based on your posts ... the tech support folks told me it couldn't be done ... so don't be surprised if I post back asking for more detailed info :eek:

Thanks!

Dan

Here's how to do a new engine.

1) Start with an engine already in RF that is as close to the one you want as you can find. Copy it, giving it the new name.

2) Basic specs (like weight & fuel consumption) are easy to get from the manufacturer's web site. Just fill them in.

3) Torque curves are a little harder to get because you need some empirical test data. Some manufactures post this, or you can find it on RC type forums, or you can do it yourself (if you own the engine). What you need is power output at several RPMs with a set prop. The manufacturer's site will nearly always give you one (max power) data point and if this is all you can find, it is enough to fake the curve based on a close engine.

4) Set up a test plane using that engine and prop. Using the physics editor, watch the power out at the correct RPM. Now edit the torque curve at that point to achieve the correct output. Do this for as many data points as you could get your hands on.

5) Go back and smooth the torque curve between the points that you set above.

You're done.

DHK79 is right on the money.

It should be noted that manufacturer specs are "optimistic" ( HAH!!! ).

As a result most of the sim planes are fairly overpowered compared to their real world counterparts.

To avoid this load up your test plane and bring up the navguide.

Watch the power output on the navguide and adjust the curves so that from a standing start the engine doesn't rev up past what the real thing does on a static test, and you do not clock HP or wattage output greater than what is reported on the real deal.

Ideally DECREASE engine performance to about 80% of what the manufacturer states for more realistic response...

I'll often tach my engines with various props, then try to replicate the behaviour in the sim, at various throttle settings.

Back