Hacker Extra 330SC 1200mm

Fly_electric

Have hit a few challenges on the RW R/C Dog House of late. So, to keep moving forward until they get resolved, finally pushed to get to finishing an EPP plane purchased several months ago, to get some more advanced RW learning: A Hacker Extra 330 SC 1200mm. The ARF had quite a few manufacturing problems, but have made enough fixes/corrections to get it ready for flight (right now just waiting for good maiden flight weather).
Have updated the RF8 version with all the same throws and weights as best as possible. Not added yet, but the RW plane is for learning, so no wheel pants, and the tail feather servos are externally mounted. Not a micro servo fan since they don't support a normal clevis, so went with the same servos as the CrazE and FBW. Those servos are bit heavier, but upped the 3C pack from 2.2AH seen in the U.S. reps video to a 3S 3.2AH, and the plane balances without any needed extra weight. Also found the steerable tail wheel a bit flimsy, so went with a fixed TW.
Some taxi tests show it is pretty easy to add some down elevator to let the rudder become effective.
Started to add some of the CS work tonight. No canopy transparency yet-- have to find the thread again with the RF8 details for that.

A few pixs. Yes, the cowl is a slightly different shade of yellow-- still working on the actual shade.. Added a pix from the web where someone showed all the parts.

Attachments

• Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 6.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 6.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 7.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 7.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 8.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 8.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 9.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 9.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 7
  • post-5014-1288560254,55.jpg
    post-5014-1288560254,55.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Maiden flight expected this week, so we'll see how it goes..!

A little more CS work tonight.

Question:
There is a certain file setting that allows keystrokes to freeze the plane in flight.
Does anyone know what the details are or the thread that describes it?
Works ok in RF7, but need to add to RF 8.

Second question:
Does anyone know of where a good seamless EPP texture file can obtained?

Thanks.

Enjoy a great & safe week!

Attachments

• Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 10.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 10.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 11.jpg
    Hacker Exrtra 330 SC 1200mm render 11.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 12
Don`t know the answers to any of your questions, BUT, for your maiden, keep your throws on low rates for that type of plane, you`ll still find it highly maneuverable, be real light on the sticks, like you would driving a car on the highway, it takes very little input, just breath on them, remember, you control the plane not visa versa, have fun, oh yeah, get some alt. asap, so you can relax a little, take a deep breath then enjoy. ;)

Last edited:
Maiden flight expected this week, so we'll see how it goes..!

A little more CS work tonight.

Question:
There is a certain file setting that allows keystrokes to freeze the plane in flight.
Does anyone know what the details are or the thread that describes it?
Works ok in RF7, but need to add to RF 8.

Second question:
Does anyone know of where a good seamless EPP texture file can obtained?

Thanks.

Enjoy a great & safe week!

There are a Couple of Freeze Commands Available, in the Console ~, in both RF-7.5 and RF-8
1) lockOrientation
2) lockPosition
You can lock any, or all, of the X,Y,Z axes using proper syntax. eg. lockorientation z locks only z
Open Console with ~ key, type: help lockorientation, and, help lock position, for instructions.
To deactivate these commands retype lockorientation, or, lockposition.

For a complete list of console commands, Open Console, with the ~ key. Type, help

Note: help bind will tell you how to bind a key to a command

Last edited:
very nice FE wil have fun with it in RF and look forward to how your RL maiden one goes as for the seamless EPP texture file i'll look around see what i can find on line

these are what i was using just cut and past to the n.tga file and bump as required

Attachments

• EPP foam texture.jpg
    EPP foam texture.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 11
  • EPP foam texture 01.jpg
    EPP foam texture 01.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 10
adrenoline 60,
Thanks for the lockposition info. Works great. Not sure if they have to set every time RF 8 is started, but will have to double check that. Do know they were saved in RF6/7.

doug, flexible,
Thanks for the EPP files! Looking forward to using them on the Extra.

Maiden flight was made this week.

Was successful.

Was delayed a bit in getting outside, and by then the wind had picked up (to ~ 6 mph according to the airport website).

Took off into the wind, and the Extra broke ground very quickly.

Like the sim version, the low wing loading results in a plane easily pushed around by the wind.

Is a bit nose heavy-- as I thought. Some up elevator trim helps, but as the air over the elevator changes in speed (such as up wind and downwind), it makes the control in pitch rather sensitive, so better to properly balance the Extra.

Large elevator also made it a bit twitchy in pitch to just the slightest movement, so the elevator needs some expo added.

Landing: no problem.
Need a second battery now!! :)

Flies ok, but has some issues:

1. Seems it is a bit under powered with the recommended 250W motor.
The motor has a lower max current than some @25A, so with a 3 cell pack I may only be getting ~200W or less at full throttle. Do have a Rimfire 10 originally purchased for another planned plane that I may give a go, as it looks to be a drop in replacement for the Hacker motor. It has a 35A max rating, and with a higher rated ESC and 4 cells, that motor should provide about 300W.
I say it seems a bit under powered, but I only have 5 minutes experience with this plane, so maybe it only seems a bit that way. It's also the largest plane I've flown, and that can it look a bit under powered and slow.

2. Rudder was very weak. Turns out the hinge right at the control horn is starting to fail, so the servo was not actually moving the rudder.. Have smoothed in some hot glue to first seal the cracked EPP foam. The HG also smooths the surface, so secondly some tape can be added for more strength. Tape is normally useless on this plane as the EPP cells are cut open at the surface and tape has only the cell edges to stick to.
Full flight on low rates. Good thing too as HR may have further torn the EPP.

Pluses:

Large size and colors makes it easy to see.

Lost orientation a couple of times (and a bit low to boot), but the responsive ailerons and elevator allowed high maneuverability to quickly determine the direction the plane was flying.
However, should have been paying closer attention…

Is tough-- grazed the top of a tree (no, not planned!), and it kept right on going

First takeoff and landing with a plane having landing gear!!

Overall, it's an ok plane. Looking forward to a flight functioning rudder to eventually trying the first major goal of KE flight.

Enjoy a great weekend.

flexible2g, thanks for the info on the products!
Expo: yep, added some on elevator after the maiden-- smoothed it very nicely on the 2nd and 3rd flights.

adrenoline 60, folllow up on the Freeze commands:
Yes it does work, but those settings are not saved when RF8 shuts down. Tried the "save settings" and that did not save the locked values either. Am thinking in getting them to stay in RF6 or RF7, an INI file had to be manually edited-- want to say it was a tip Boof shared with us back then...
Is there another command to retain the locked values that I am missing??

Last edited:
flexible2g, thanks for the info on the products!
Expo: yep, added some on elevator after the maiden-- smoothed it very nicely on the 2nd and 3rd flights.

adrenoline 60, folllow up on the Freeze commands:
Yes it does work, but those settings are not saved when RF8 shuts down. Tried the "save settings" and that did not save the locked values either. Am thinking in getting them to stay in RF6 or RF7, an INI file had to be manually edited-- want to say it was a tip Boof shared with us back then...
Is there another command to retain the locked values that I am missing??

I think this is what your looking for.
https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=262151&postcount=9

Documents/RealFlight 8/Scripts/startup.rfscript

Here's a more extensive file example:
https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=250459&postcount=30

Back