Hangar 9 Tribute 36

Ok, Ive got a question for the physics guys. How important is it to align the movable pods to the corresponding part? If weights, and anything else that might affect flight is set at 0, would it not be ok to just leave them at the default orientation? I ask because I forgot to place one and everything operates as expected animation wise. Only the zooming is slightly off when adjusting (the camera focuses on the pod naturally, not the part in question).

You can adjust the offset of the movable pod to the location of your pivot point of the object. In other words, if the pivot is top left on the object, adjust the offset accordingly. That will get motion closer. I don't know that that will affect you adversely if you just leave it alone. If it flies well, don't worry about it.

How important is it to align the movable pods to the corresponding part?
I'd say that really depends on the part being animated. If it is an active component in your flight model then it is important to be precise. If it is just a moving part for visuals, then not so much. As you say if aerodynamic effect is set to zero, then the fact there is a difference between the motion of the physics wireframe and the 3D model will not effect performance.

Limited time offer. Last chance to voice opinions.

And if anyone has suggestions on smoothing out the throttle linkages, I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

• Tribute_EA.RFX
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was just wondering mainly. It might seem to be a time saver at first, but if you dont align it fairly close, and you are working somewhere other than the default location (in my case, the nose) then you cant see what you are doing anyway. It does make me feel better that they dont have to be exact though. That can get to be a problem with multiple pods in one location.

That can get to be a problem with multiple pods in one location.
Yeah, I've put scalable icon pointers on my top three wish list to KE twice now. I know it is possible because I had them blow up on me once and they were so big it was totally impossible to edit the model.

EDIT: It took me a bit to find which plane this happened on, but try making changes to this. :eek:

Attachments

• Scalable Pointers.jpg
    Scalable Pointers.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Or visible on/off, something like layers in Photo Shop. Another choice might be color/grayed out, but if there are too many overlapping greyed out areas, it still may be difficult to see the model details for correct positioning. For model visibility, an opacity slider control would also be useful.

Back