Has a Slope soaring wing been made ?

Terry, you don't muck around, that was a fast build.

I just had a play with it, and it is soo nice to actually see a wing that I own fly around in RF, thank you.
Would you like me (and anyone else that wants to join in) to have a go at tweeking it now ?
Or do you have other changes to make first ?

I love the shape, the wing mod you did looks stunning.
From the short time I had to play with it, I'd say that just like the real wing, you need small throws on the control surfaces (big throws get you into big trouble real fast).
I don't know how well RF simulates model behaviour, but I can tell you that with the real S15, a change in CG of just a few mm will drastically change the way it flys.
To me it feels too light, it may have too much control surface throw and the CG isn't at the sweet spot yet.

BUT HOLY SLOPE COW THAT MODEL HAS HUGE POTENTIAL !!!

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
TSnake said:
To me it feels too light, it may have too much control surface throw and the CG isn't at the sweet spot yet.
All thing's you can Tweak Tsnake
It's no secret around here that Junkboy999 does quality work :D
And in no way do I want this to sound otherwise
or be taken the wrong way....... but unless he's flown one ... I think he'll agree....

since YOU own one.....
You possess more knowledge as to how it actually flies
and in different situations
And therefore are probably best suited for these miner "tweaks" than any one else.
sounds like he's got it pretty close
and is even more telling of his talents if indeed he has never flown one in RL!
and already as you say has already come so close
I haven't even flown it
and to just hear what Tsnake is saying about it I'm already impressed......
now How about posting IT for the rest of us "slopers" :D :D :D

Last edited:
It's harder to adjust this than I thought, mainly because I have to make it fly worse than the original model to make it realistic.

I didn't change much as I was happy with it from the start.
This is what I've come up with, I'll step back and fly it again after a break, to see if it's right.

At the Sierra Nervada Cliffs, with 12 MPH winds, flying on low rates.
- fuselage weight changed to 400 grams
- deflection centered changed to +1 degree
- deflection minimum changed to -11 degrees
- sound resonance 1, volume 25, minimum speed 50 MPH, pitch 0
- sound resonance 2, volume 60, minimum speed 90 MPH, pitch 100
- main wing stall severity changed to 200%
- main wing post stall movement factor changed to 200%
- wing tip stall severity changed to 200%
- wing tip post stall movement factor changed to 200%
- fuselage stall severity changed to 200%
- fuselage post stall movement factor changed to 200%

I can't improve on the CG, even the "x" axis offset is perfect (in real life it doesn't do axial rolls - how did you know that ?)

On low rates it's realistic, but high rates is the way I'd like my plane to fly in real life (I'm still working on that).

I really like this model.

Edit;
I do have a question about changing the models stall characteristics.
In real life it's very hard to stall this wing, but when it's pushed too far, it just gives up completely, and points its nose to the ground.
What parameter can I play with to induce that type of behaviour in this model ?

2nd Edit;
Never mind, I figured it out.
See the added parameters listed above.
And I changed the sound settings as listed.

Last edited:
Geed to hear it is flying

Thanks for the comments Maj Munb

And yep your right I have never flown a glider in real life only in real flight.

As for as how I set the CG, I went by your numbers and all so use the slinger CG setting as a reference. I first tried launching it with no wind at all just to see how it free falls to the ground. If you just keep hitting the reset button and the glider goes nose down again and again, I'll move the CG back, and the same if it keeps wanting to flit backwards,. Move it up. After getting it to fly, I roll it left and right and see how fast it rolls to determine the CS "X" location. But again I'm only going by what I think it should do. In this model case I did not see any videos if a real RC flying until after I sent it to you. ( your videos ) Funny to watch by the way.

For the stalls make sure you have the advance menus turned on and you'll find for setting for stall and lift. You might want to pick a less lifting wing profile too.. It takes time to get it right. I try to get the model in RF fast and I'm already playing and adjusting the physics before I finish the 3d Model and the paint job. So to answer another question Nothing your change in the FLIGHT PHYSICS effect the look of the model and the same for me I can make it look like the a bowling ball and keep your physics and it would turn out to be a glider ball..

So your's really truly has a complete flat bottom wing. Not even at the wing tips. I can make a complete flat bottom one too and keep your physics attached to it and them make the gull wing one with more pitch and people can set that one up to. Call it a Skua Gull wing hehehe

If you got something you like to share just EXPORT a Variant with a new name and Up load it to this thread.

After me flying it and seeing your videos I believe it will be a nice addiction to RF library of models

Yes, just like me, Skuas really do have a completely flat bottom, from tip to tip.

A flat bottomed version would be excellent, that would be the one I'd fly the most, just for the realistic look.

I think I've reached the end of the line, as far as tweaking goes, the way it flys now is spookily like my Skua in RL.
I'll try some different foils, but honestly, I don't think it's going to get any better than this.
You've done an amazing job, and the proof of that is just how little work I had to do to make it accurately simulate the real plank.

Last edited:
It's been a while since the last post, am i holding things up ?
Terry, are you waiting for me to do something with your Skua model ?

I've tried different foils, and I can't find one that's any better than the one you used.
And the settings that I posted in post # 24, are fantastic as far as realism goes (using low rates).

Thanks for all your help.

Well I imported the RF recording
but forgot that since you Haven't posted it ......... I don't have a EA file of the skua(I haven't found it at swaps ...unless you changed its "name") so all I can see is the default Extra300L
Are you ever going to post the Ea file for the Skua to swap's ???

Last edited:
Hi Maj. Numbskully,
The EA file for the prototype was posted in #20, but it is only the prototype (no skin).
If you change it as per post #24, it flys like a bought one.

I'd love to finish it off myself, but I don't know how.

Av

hehehe Man that to much work :D

I would have to read and edit , read more and edit more.

Go to the Simulation / Export / Aircraft Variant. Export out an AV with a new name ( keep it under 8 letters for now, I 'll rename it when finished ) and post it in this thread. This lets me and other fly and test your setup.

Post a top and bottom picture and I'll make that your CS. Of you can draw up some ideal on paper and I'll try to make that. Also if I shoot you a few other glider would you like to try to set the, up A gull wing one and a swept forward wing one ??

Go to the Simulation / Export / Aircraft Variant. Export out an AV with a new name ( keep it under 8 letters for now, I 'll rename it when finished ) and post it in this thread. This lets me and other fly and test your setup.
Thanks Terry, I'll do that as soon as I can.

Post a top and bottom picture and I'll make that your CS. Of you can draw up some ideal on paper and I'll try to make that. Also if I shoot you a few other glider would you like to try to set the, up A gull wing one and a swept forward wing one ??
I'll take some photos of my current scheme on my S15, it looks pretty cool, but it's not the rainbow scheme I had previously (that was too high maintenance).

I'd love to set up other gliders/slope soarers, in RL, I've got a few forward swept wing slopers, in fact, I'm building a new one right now.

Sorry it's taking so long, I've discovered something about the wing that I don't like and I don't know how to fix.
At really high speeds in very high winds, for some reason the S15 looses "lateral stability" (it yaws from side to side).

It's not a problem for me as I don't intend to fly in really high winds in RF, but it just means.....it's not 100% perfect.

Any suggestions ?

Here's the AV file, it's great in 12 MPH winds, but as you increase the wind speed and do some high speed passes, you'll see what I mean by instability.

And I'll get those photos posted ASAP.

Thanks.

Edit;
Actually, I just went back into RF and tried again.... and I don't think it's worth "fixing", it only happens at ridiculous wind settings.
It may be an issue if you want to DS (Dynamic Soar) with this model, but you can't DS in RF 3.5 anyway, so it's really not a problem.

Just had a thought...
I can make it look like the a bowling ball and keep your physics and it would turn out to be a glider ball..
Does that mean you really could make a flying "Slope Cow" ?
:)

Attachments

• Slopecow_AV.g3x
    10.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
flys graet

Hey that fly nice..

I'm betting the yaw is coming from the fact that the physics model could use some more surface area on the vertical stabs, from leading edge to trailing edge. If you take the glider up and stall it you see the same yaw and the glider is just picking up air speed. At really high speeds the same yaw is there because of the drag of the wings. For some reason or another one wing picks up more drag and lags back, making the other wing move forward. This makes the air pressure different between the two wing and now you start rocking. This is a factor in Real flying wing aircraft

I'll go ahead and give it a flat bottom and take off the raise cockpit area. This will not effect the flight physics at all. Let me know if there any visual changes you like to see

So your sawing the real one will not do a aileron roll?

So your sawing the real one will not do a aileron roll?

Are you asking that question, based on this comment I made previously ?
I can't improve on the CG, even the "x" axis offset is perfect (in real life it doesn't do axial rolls - how did you know that ?)
In RL, It'll roll like it's on a drill, but it doesn't roll precisely around the tip of it's nose. It doesn't roll around its axis, it's got a bit of offset just like your model.

In RL, at low speed it'll show some yaw instability, but once it picks up speed that instability disappears, the faster you go, the more stable it is.

Last edited:
I've been in contact with Peter Loftus (the guy who owns Wowings and sells S15s) and he's very happy that you've taken the time to create this model.

So thanks Terry, we both look forward to seeing and flying the final version.
Did you get the e-mail I sent with the attached pictures ?
Are they suitable for a skin ?

Yep I got it . I just been bizzzzzy sense I pick up a full tie driving job instead of just subbing a few times a week. I got a flat bottom on it and made the Vet stabs a little bigger. Just in case you like to make it a bit bigger in the physics, I going place in some servo horns and linkages on it. They do weigh a little bit so that might change the CG again. So after I get it skinned and fixed up, I have to shoot it back to you for a retest.

I looked up Peter's sight and wow. That all looks like great fun. All but the part where I would have to clime down the cliff to get my smatched glider.

All but the part where I would have to clime down the cliff to get my smatched glider.
Yep, there's a lot of climbing involved, even if you don't crash, you still need to get to the site and back.
I just got back from flying, and unfortunately I smashed up one of my favourite planes, a Wowings Booby (you may have seen one on Pete's site).
The Booby is very very fast, and it hit a massive boulder at full speed :eek:

RIP (Rest In Pieces) Booby.

Attachments

• boobyweb.jpg
    boobyweb.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 61
ya that one was screaming on the videos

Ya you'll have to shoot me the spec's on that one too. It is hard to tell from the picture, but are the servos able to been seen on the top of the wings. Like in a pocket or something. Or are just the servos horns sticking up through a whole? Some question for both models.

Edit : ok it is mapped and got some linkages in it

Attachments

• SKUA003.JPG
    SKUA003.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It's looking great,
The servos on both models are embedded into the wing and covered over (hidden), so only the servo horns can be seen from the outside. Exactly like the picture you just posted.

The Booby does have a slightly unusual setup, as it's got a separate servo for the elevator surface in the center section. So the ailerons (the outer left and right surfaces) are just ailerons, and not mixed to work as elevons like the S15.

I'll get those Booby specs to you as soon as I can, I really appreciate the work you're doing here, thank you.

Last edited:
Back