Heil Tail Spin

K

kulord

Often while in mid flight with a Helicopter the aircraft starts to spin (tail revolving around the cabin) out of control and I am unable to correct for it no matter how I use the controls. The only thing that works is a reset. Any ideas what is causing this?

Probably a tail strike which has broken the tail rotor. Watch for that and see if it explains what you're seeing. Depending on your view and how fast the heli is spinning, you may actually be able to see for yourself that the tail rotor has stopped.

tail spin

no I dont think so acts more like a software bug

tail spin

I am new to RC and while I was trying to hover the helicopter, i use to get the tail spin. Initially i could not figure out the reason but later on close inspection i saw that the tail rotor stop spinning. With me even a gentle bump of tail rotor on ground stopped it from spinning.

Is this how it works on real thing?

violent tail spin with AddOn 5 MD500E

This has existed from the beginning of G3 implementation and has not been resolved through Beta .387. Nothing corrects it so far.

“Is this how it works on real thing?”

Re. Niner Zero ‘Tail Spin’ “Is this how it works on real thing?”

Hey if only that’s how it was with the real thing!
When you get stated you will be happy if you get away with just a busted tail!

This is not a bug and if it were it should be left in as a cool feature. If the tail blades hit terra firma guess what they stop working. Once the tail drive is lost there is no tail draft to hold the tail against the direction of torque produced by the engine…the solution is to kick in the throttle hold switch (right hand toggle switch to up position) this will drop the engine power to idle in the same way as it would be setup in the real world. Now that the engine has dropped to idle there is little or no torque forcing the tail to rotate around the axis.

Now that you have stopped the tail from pirouetting you need to try and get her down in one piece. i.e. An auto rotation this will only happen if you have cut the motor with enough inertia in the blades to keep her up and enough altitude to control the decent.

To explain an auto rotation procedure here would take to long and G3 Tutor section covers autos far better than I would explain. I don’t think they cover autos without tail drive the only effect this has is that you will be unable to correct or control the tails position.

This is a procedure worth practicing as it could save you much cash and time one day coz sure as eggs is eggs if you fly for real this will happen its just a matter of time.

May the inertia be with you.

PS. There is no big red reset button covering your *** in the real world and the biggest bug in the chain is the human element!

Violent Tail Spin with AddOn 5 helis in G3

Let get the point discussed as a bug. This is not a newbie problem.

Travis and I have discussed this and there is an issue. One problem may be that it can't be duplicated. I have the problem on two different machines using the same software version. I am running Beta .387 and it did not correct the issue. This has been present since upgrade from G2 to G3. 366, 377, 387. It is much worse when using the turbine in MD500E.

On combustion engines, you might be able to gain control by using Idle up first.

I know the team is working on solving all the problems. If anyone else has this experience with the tail spin, it would be helpful to post a reply which addresses what you may have experienced.

This has nothing to do with boom strike or any collision.

Burn some fuel.

Sore Point

Timid1

The issue you have is not the one to which I replied!

I have just flown the model in question and there is an issue with the pitch curve and the throttle curve. The model is trying to take off before the RPM’s are high enough for the machine to be stable ready for a clean takeoff. Once you have got her up and stable the tail does not pirouette out of control.

As you suggested using the idle up gives a work round for the time being…why get so upset over it life’s too short to stress over a virtual model in a virtual world.

Back