Heli Example Model?

worldofmaya

Hi all!
I'm working through all the documentation and threads on how to create a model in RF. I already created an handful of models. Now I wanna export them for RF. My primary tool is Maya. I know there are issues but I think I'll be able to solve them. I've tried the 3ds converter. It comes with some nice example planes. Does anyone know if there's an example scene for an heli model?
-Klaus

The KEmax plug-in has a very good Example Heli, although it is only for 3dsMax.

Also, a Good Reference is the G4 Artist's guide pdf at the sticky:
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=18526

Component names are very long and requires use of point and dummy helpers. Not sure what Maya's capabilities are regarding those.

Good Luck,
Frank...

Hi!
I already worked through the Blender infos. Maya does not support special characters for object names but I think I can solve that. Having a look at a file which works would really help!
One thing which I haven't found by now is what axis orientation is needed for RF? I know there're sometimes issues when getting data from other 3D packages because they use something different from Y as up-axis. Another simulator I've created models for restricts the nose in X direction, Y as up-axis and CG at the origin.
-Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I have tried exporting my 3ds Max Raptor model as just a plain old 3ds file but it just creates a mess (file names are truncated and a number of parts flipped etc.) you would be better off just looking at the heli tutorial ... http://knifeedge.com/KEmax/heli_tutorial.php

With regards axis if any object rotates it tends to do it about its local x-axis. Overall the aircraft is aligned down the y-axis with z-axis being up. With a heli try and model it so the main rotor shaft is on the origin.

One other thing to watch out for is DISKMOUNT objects, usually just simple dummy objects which are not rendered (they are mentioned in the tutorial)

Hi again!
I had contact with an 3dsmax artist and he sent me an exported version of the example heli. It was no problem to export/import the model using FBX.
The only thing which wasn't exported correctly were those dummy objects which came in as a simple group But that's okay, the position is what is needed if I understand the docs correctly.
And of course the naming was changed. Any special character was exchanged with an underline.
One thing I noticed in the example file was that this file used inches. Does RF care about units? I read somewhere that it's only possible within some limits to scale a model in RF. At least it's no problem to export data to max using FBX, if the 3ds route doesn't work. I already sent him a test file, I hope I'll get some feedback in the evening.
-Klaus

Back