Helicopters On Grass Sink In

kennyc

Just received and installed RF6 a couple hours ago. I am only addressing helicopters in this as I have not flown any of the planes. While taking off or landing in grass - Photo Field or 3D Field - the helicopter sink way down into the grass. Some of them so far down that the grass/ground is actually touching the bottom frame of the helicopter. While this doesn't effect the flying, it certainly is distracting and annoying.

This simulates the vehicle sinking into the tall grass. It is controlled by the individual objects' material type.

If you don't like it, you can edit the airport to change that behavior. For example, I just loaded up Soccer Field HD, selected the "Soccer Field Mow Lines", and changed the material from "Grass" to "Generic". Now the heli sits directly atop the surface and does not sink.

Are you saying that this is normal (see attached pic)? In my RF 3.5 helicopters never went into the ground like this. I checked and the planes do it too.

Attachments

• Heli at Waco Field sized for upload.png
    Heli at Waco Field sized for upload.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 42
That screenshot doesn't make the effect look as good as it can.

Maybe you should look at it at another airport before you judge it.

Jim

Real world RC Heli on grass: :confused:
trex450.jpg

Helis should just
say no.................
I mean look at him
hes just chillin with no ambition
probably think'in
mmmmmmmmmm fuel
:p

Last edited:
jbourke said:
That screenshot doesn't make the effect look as good as it can.

Maybe you should look at it at another airport before you judge it.

Jim
Jim, I think there is an error in the scale of the supplemental grass a Waco field. It's scaled at almost a foot tall. Might need to hit that with the bush hog on the next update.

Hi !

Yeah Waco field is and was a little bit buggy in my opinion. The gras is a little bit deep and needs a fix from Knifeedge, would be nice ;)

maxx

Thanks for the help/comments. I changed the size of the grass on Waco Field from .97 to .5 (thanks td9cowboy, I assume I know who you are on another forum) and now the heli appears as the others do. Coming from G3.5 where the helis do not do this and given that where I fly the field is mowed extremely short, I don't experience seeing the skids beneath the grass as in the real pic posted by phrank or what RF 6 does. Therefore I thought there was an error with the program.

The handle confusion isn't an attempt to hide my identity. It's just that this account was created first before I decided on another and I can't change this one. That must be quite a shock to make an upgrade from 3.5 to 6. It's not surprising that this feature would be one of the first to catch your eye. The old fields were like landing on a flat smooth parking lot no matter what kind of surface you were on. You'll soon find many other major improvements. Keep in mind that almost anything about this sim with a little experience can be modified, by you or with a little help here, to suit your own personal needs. Enjoy the new sim.

Back