Helis are too floaty, can that be tuned?

bmc76

I find RF6 to be very realistic and has really helped me progress. The only problem I have is the helis are way too floaty, making it very different practicing say tic tocs and rainbows. I swear the trex 500 has more float than a real 700.

So question...

I generally use the X5, E6, or E7 for my practice sessions, is there any way to reduce the float and basically make them fall to the earth faster when unloaded on knife edge? That seems to be the biggest issue for me applying my practice routines from the sim to my real helis, mine fall faster. The biggest heli I own is an X5, most of my flights are on smaller helis, X3, 250 dfc, X2.

Thanks..

The first thing to do is compare the model in the sim with your model. Is the overall mass the same? Is the output power the same? Are the servos the same speed?

There isn't anything you can do to make them "fall to the earth faster when unloaded on knife edge" because the gravity calculation is certainly correct. What must be happening is your real world heli is heavier or isn't responding as quickly to control inputs as the version in the sim. It could be the simulated headspeed is much higher than your real one. It could also be the blades, servos, or any number of other things.

Note that regardless of how heavy your heli is the acceleration due to gravity is not affected by this. When I say that perhaps your heli is heavier I am not suggesting that it is falling faster. Rather what might be happening is it takes more time to cycle through a tick-tock in real life because of extra mass. This is merely a guess.

It also might help to bump up the wind speed a bit in the sim. Sometimes things in the sim seem a bit weird because the air is perfectly still in the default settings.

Jim

As Opjose and Jim said... it is not the simulator it is the differences between your aircraft and the sim aircraft... you should be looking at matching weights, throttle and pitch curves. Check and match head speeds.

As a quick an simple fix, you could try adding weight in the form of a mass at the CG point of the aircraft... this is not optimal but would get you in the ball park.

I have a Trex500 and have flown the sim version. I don't see as big of a difference as you describe, but at the moment, I am usually flying the 550 or the Gaui X7.

Thing is with Real Flight, you can adjust the aircraft to fly exactly like you want it to. I would also ask about your frames per second... when FPS is above 60, I am getting a pretty good representation. If not, maybe you need to dial back some of the settings.

I generally use the X5, E6, or E7 for my practice sessions [...] The biggest heli I own is an X5, most of my flights are on smaller helis, X3, 250 dfc, X2.

And you are complaining about what?! There's your problem. Fly smaller helis in the sim or bigger ones in reality, problem solved.

Oh btw: weight doesn't affect downward acceleration up to the point where the heli is fast enough to make air resistance significant.
Acceleration is ALWAYS 9.81m/s². Just Vmax differs from heli to heli.

Back