Help identify this plane?

FlyGuy

Banned
I was considering modelling this plane for G3 but honestly don't know what it is.

Anyone able to ID this plane?

Attachments

• Mystery Plane.jpg
    Mystery Plane.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 114
Looks like it might be. I see alot of striking similarities but also a few differences :confused: Could be that the line drawings just differ.

The pic of the plane I posted was originally titled "Bell M-11" and after searching the net for Bell m-11, Bell m11, m11 and Bell model 11 etc I came up with nothing at all. I don't recall if Bell ever made a "M-11".

It looks like the Curtiss XP-40, the first prototype of the more familiar P-40.

3217L.jpg

researching

FlyGuy said:
I was considering modelling this plane for G3 but honestly don't know what it is.

Anyone able to ID this plane?

Hi FlyGuy; its me kenny from east cost canada nb yeah i did alot of looking and its a ( ME 109g ) :) :rolleyes: :cool:

this is .... the plane..
the site i got it from, the 3 view drawing was based on the me109g.
it matches the same plane i have on my Warbirds 2004 game ... :rolleyes: Maybe i'm wrong, the more i think about it it could be the XP-40 anyway, this is where i got the pic from... maybe you could make heads-or tails out of it...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...ev=/images?q=bell-m11&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

Attachments

• me109g-boml.jpg
    me109g-boml.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
No, that's a Curtis.

The engine exhausts alone is a giveaway.

The ME's had more cylinders in the head.

LOL!!!!!!! There is no way a Spanish built ME-109 and that XP-40 loook the same!! :D

ok im going with the xp-40. i think there is a chezch that looks similar also but my big book of ww2 aircraft is in storage. :confused:

It sure looks like the XP-40 except for a couple of glaring differences. The XP-40 had rotating retracts and rounded wingtips. Your 3 View has the opposite. It is simular to the very early BF109(A or X) model that was a prototype. Again, the wingtips and retracts are wrong, as well as the canopy. I looked through my books, and did several searches on the web. I am stumped. If it were not for the wingtips and retracts I would swear it was a XP-40 though. Where did you find the 3 view?

Following a link that Kenny posted I found more three views of the plane. It is listed as the Bell Model 11 ( as Rick said) but I cannot find hide nor hair of any other reference to this aircraft. Bell was famous for thier WWII rear engined aircraft the P39, etc. Nothing like this in any archive I have seen.

More three views;

http://home.hetnet.nl/~jp1508/chucks-jpeg/bell-m11.jpg

Actually

It actually a P-40 B one of the first versions of the P-40 this one is actually the same type flown by the flying tigers, the Flying Tigers did not have P-40E versions.

admittedly it sure looks like a P40B or the XP40, but the differences with the 3view are still there, the nose is shorter in the threeview and it doesnt have rotating retracts. I would guess the artist that made the 3view was trying to do a P40B but didnt get it right?

Here is a P40B

P40B-RT-SMITH.jpg

Back