help needed on editing a plane...

TopSan

Hi friends around.

To start, i have to say that i am (in think) well into the technical part of our hobby in Real Life - but truly (or sadly) not into building planes :rolleyes:

It is the same in editig planes in RFG3.5 as i had to understand the last days :(

So i am calling for a bit of help:

I want to investigate some electric conversions from a gasser plane and compare it to the real model plane once more.

I already played around with electrical setups with warbirds and gliders from the swap pages or which come with RFG3.5 and i got stunning good results when comparing the outcome in RFG3.5 and the real model plane (!)

Looks like the KE guys did a good job on batteries and electric motors; those conversions and edits of props/batteries/motors, i tried gave a very good impression of what to expect on the RL - plane as far as i have tried with my planes and some of my friends.

To come to the point:

I have a 28% WH Extra300 here which i am going to fly with electric power (Axi 5345 with 12S LiPo). This plane will do its maiden flight in March this year as far as i have planned.

I already have a very good Extra330L with the Wild Hare color scheme in RFG3.5; made by Rick Delten (scheme also by Nizz)

After several edits and tries to match the 28% RL - Plane, i now give up - can't really bring it to fly as a can see on a lot of videos from the WH Extra and as i expect how it would fly (compared to some other model planes with this size and weight, i already have flown in RL).

So jelling for help now: can i send someone the EA of the Rick Delten Extra330L with the WH color scheme on it for doing the following:

- Convert it from 330L to 300 Mid wing, using the Eppler 168 airfoil (13%, as WH's Tom Fawcett told me)?

- Scale the plane down to the 28% Extra (2.133m wingspan) with an AUW of 7.5 kg with a DA50 inside.

I can deliver all necessary measurements from the real 28% WH Extra300 because i have this ARF right here since some weeks.

I want to fly this edited plane with the DA50 in RFG3.5 and edit a new Axi - Engine (5345-18/16/14) for testing and comparing it with different LiPo/ Motor/ Prop setups to compare it with my real model plane when it is finished.

Will be very interesting, i think, to see if this electric conversion in RFG3.5 can match RL as good as the smaller ones, i already tried?

Best regards from Leipzig/ Germany de Frank

TopSan said:
- Convert it from 330L to 300 Mid wing, using the Eppler 168 airfoil (13%, as WH's Tom Fawcett told me)?

You CANNOT change a low wing into a mid wing plane.

To modify the original design the 3Dstudio file used to create the plane is needed.

So you will be unable to do this with the 330L. There is a 300 already available in G3 which is suitable though.

The airfoil is already available in G3 so that part would be trivial.

TopSan said:
- Scale the plane down to the 28% Extra (2.133m wingspan) with an AUW of 7.5 kg with a DA50 inside.

This is easily doable with a correctly proportioned 3D model of the 300 plane you want assuming it exists.

If an engine is missing in G3, it can be modeled, using full power torque and fuel consumption specs.

The DETAILED specs for the WH 300 will also be needed including wing incidences, washout, dihedral, C.G. aileron sizes, throws, etc. etc. etc.

Plans usually have all of this.

Another possible source of info ...

TopSan said:
Hi friends around.

I want to investigate some electric conversions from a gasser plane and compare it to the real model plane once more.

Will be very interesting, i think, to see if this electric conversion in RFG3.5 can match RL as good as the smaller ones, i already tried?

Frank ... since you are being so helpful to me in my 46% Ultimate electrification adventure, I'd like to reciprocate. Have you visited the following site for others who are converting RL gassers to RL EPs? If not, you may find their expertise helpful also, although the folks at this RealFlight forum are pretty terrific, and always ready to help.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

rjmanzuk said:
Frank ... since you are being so helpful to me in my 46% Ultimate electrification adventure, I'd like to reciprocate. Have you visited the following site for others who are converting RL gassers to RL EPs? If not, you may find their expertise helpful also, although the folks at this RealFlight forum are pretty terrific, and always ready to help.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Hi MadMan!

Yes, i already know that site - did not write there yet, but i am often there to read.

But anyway, maybe i have written something wrong because english is not my native language :) - i know what i can expect and what i will get with the EP conversion of my WH - Extra. I only have one gasser here (a 40% Super Decathlon), all my other R/C planes are electric with power setups from 3S to 10S.

It's the HighTech part with those EP setups, that i like - maybe some kind of job related (medical engineer) sickness :D :D

What i am really interested in is the comparing and playing around with RL-plane vs. RFG3.5 with pointing the eye on the EP part.

That's why i want to have a plane that is very close to my RL WH Extra to play with the setups and do the same in RL for comparing...

Best regards from leipzig/ Germany

opjose said:
You CANNOT change a low wing into a mid wing plane.

To modify the original design the 3Dstudio file used to create the plane is needed.

Hi Op!

Now you know why i gave up ;)

opjose said:
The airfoil is already available in G3 so that part would be trivial.

Yes, that was the easiest part - no problem.

opjose said:
The DETAILED specs for the WH 300 will also be needed including wing incidences, washout, dihedral, C.G. aileron sizes, throws, etc. etc. etc.

Plans usually have all of this.

I don't have the plan - but i have the ARF plane here, so no problem to measure all what is needed right from it.

That is sure necessary because the WH 28% Extra is not 100% scale. It's fuselage is wider and it has more wing area.

So i will take an ecxisting 300 Mid Wing and try again to scale it down.
Hmmm... Last problem will be: how do i get my WH color scheme on it that i have from R.D. for the 300L? let me guess? not without the 3D model file or anything else i can't and dont have, i guess? :confused:

Sure; this is not the biggest problem; it's only the color scheme - but if it comes near to the RL plane model, it also has to look like it :D

Ideally you need to input measurements into the physics editor.

Get it as far as you can then post it and the links to the manual and I can have a look.

Use Rick's new 300L plane for this.

Next try with the scale Extra: Much better!

Hi friends around...

OK, here is my 3rd try. This time i have used the Scale Extra from Rick Delten, like Opjose said.

All length/width/weight data, i used for this edit are taken from the real model that i am in work with.

Looks like next time i better do what Opjose means ;)
Why? Well...

This Extra is the one, Opjose told me to try for the edit - and it flys much better after editing than the other Extra i tried before.

(but i miss my WH Color scheme now :D )

But anyway; i really would like to have the experts have a look at it for tweaking and making it more as realistic as it can get.

Therefore i upload it to the swap pages this time so that more ppl will see it and maybe download it:

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/1044&act=down

The Real Life model that i want to match is this one:

http://www.wildharerc.com/Products/extra84/extra84.html

The manual does not tell much abt. the construction but it is located here:

http://www.wildharerc.com/Downloads/Extra300-84manual.pdf

Edit on 18. January: Hmm... made some kind of "click" while thinking abt. the differences of the 2 Extras i tried to edit.

So here is the other EP - converted 28% Extra.

Again the base plane for the edit is from Rick Delten. this time it is his Extra330L.

Rick also made the Wild Hare color scheme on my request - again many thx for this, Rick; it matches my real life 28% Extra from Wild Hare exactly!

Please give it a try and feel free to edit/ tweak it to bring it as near as possible to the real life Wild Hare Extra...

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/1050

Thx. in advance for your help, Opjose and also everyone else who can help to make this EP conversion fly realistic.

Last edited:
Back