Help selcting Nvidia card

James,

I hear ya ... do I want to spend $$ on a better video card or put it towards a new plane. I've been drooling over the Hangar 9 warbirds lately.

One things for sure, there is never a lack of things to want in this hobby :rolleyes:

Carl

That look like a prett good deal. Here is a good simple overclocking tool I found that is easy to use. I have not done much with it, but by it telling me what my settings are, and using 3dmark06, I found my card is not getting up to speed.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/436

I guess tomorrow, I will go out and pick up a new power supply and do the bench marks over. I also found that it looks like I dont have a dual core, its just something in the hyperthreading that tells the computer I have 1 core with 2 processors. I am going to do some fooling around with the system, and see if I can get my fps up to well over 100. My card is set to run a core clock of 550, but due to what I think are power issues, its only getting to 491 according to 3dmark06. I will let everyone know if I have any luck later. Also if anyone uses the overclocking program, let us know how you did with it.

I picked up my power supply today and got it installed. I found my system was running the card on a 300 watt supply. After I rerun all the bench marks this is what I found. The lower power supply was slowing down my process a little. On both 3d programs, the cpu test resulted in a 0, and with the new power supply, it recieved 2's. As far as RF goes, it keeped the frames about the same. After I tested every thing, I overclocked my card to these settings, 560/710, over the stock 500/690 stock configuration. This resulted in 90 fps on the ground and 95 in the air. So I gained about 5 fps overall. So this just shows, you can use a 7900 GS with a small power supply and get good results. I am not sure if this will reduce the lifespan of the card or cpu. But it works great.

This is running on 1280x728. Sorry for the not so great quality, I had to make one a gif format.

Attachments

• RealFlight 2007-01-11 23-49-17-04 jpg.JPG
    RealFlight 2007-01-11 23-49-17-04 jpg.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 34
  • RealFlight 2007-01-11 23-46-31-31.JPG
    RealFlight 2007-01-11 23-46-31-31.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
James,

Thanks for the update. I guess the only real threat is frying your power supply.

Those screen captures you posted are photofields and not 3D fields right? What kind of frame rates are you getting on 3D fields?

I find photofields to be much higher frame rates on my system.

Carl

I am using an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 "Hypermemory" 256MB and it works great. It is not the highest end video card on the market by any means, but it gets the job done and is some what budget friendly if you are not looking to spend a hole bunch on a video card. The Nvidia's can get pricy but if you can afford it why not. Anyways, just thought I would add my two cents.

xfx 7900gs numbers

Frame rates for this card 25 - 27 fps at the low in 3d Fields
obstacle coarse and palace

27 - 34 for castle

mid 30s to 50 for most of the others

soccer Field and air race 40's - 50's

photo Fields slowest I think is alpine meadow 120's to 130's

most are from 130's to 160's

athletic club is hi 160's to high 180's sometimes low 190's
expansion pack 1

Mind you RF is set all max on quality 45 degee camera resolution is 1280 x 1024
card is setting for image quality to High Quality
color depth 32bit
no overclocking

windows 2000 pro sp4
amd 3800 athlon 64 2.4ghz core
1gig corsair ram ddr400 in dual channel all stock settings no overclocking

XFX 7900 GS 525m 256mb 256bit pci express 16x
I think was like 189 from newegger

500watt power supply

sata drives but not running Raptor at this time.
dvr150 cap card
on board audio digital out
antivirus on
opti tracker on

G3.5 044 beta

REEDIT
Yes one needs both molex to use adapter to PCIE 6pin, if your power supply doesnot have PCIE , caution newegg sells a PCIE adpter on there site it is wired wrong and can fry a bunch of parts brown wires are wrong in there configuration. the XFX has adapter that works . my powe supply has pcie but its connector some how will not fit all the way into the xfx card so i just used the supplied adapter.

Last edited:
Back